Am I getting milked?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Am I getting milked?

Postby Blue feather » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am

I've been breeding for 10 years. This is the first year I've left my mares at stud farm until they been bred and ovulated. I normally have them bred and take them home the same day. My first mare spent 26 days that stud farm. My second mare has been there for 10 days and I took her 13 days after foaling and she still has not been bred. Is this typical or am I getting milked. Both mares are healthy and young.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 am

I dont know about the first mare, but the second mare is only 23 days post foaling. You took her right after her foal heat. She should be coming in season in a few days. Did you request they give her Prostin, or are they waiting on her natural 30 day heat cycle?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm

My mare foaled on 2/8 and was bred on 3/9, 29 days later.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Re: Am I getting milked?

Postby FOS » Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 am

hi Blue Feather

Blue feather wrote:I've been breeding for 10 years. This is the first year I've left my mares at stud farm until they been bred and ovulated. I normally have them bred and take them home the same day. My first mare spent 26 days that stud farm. My second mare has been there for 10 days and I took her 13 days after foaling and she still has not been bred. Is this typical or am I getting milked. Both mares are healthy and young.

Hmmm...why not share some more info/specifics so that posters may better understand the situation, and possibly offer more meaningful responses/perspective/suggestions.

How about...for starters: 1/ What is the status of the mare that you posted "spent 26 days (at) that stud farm", was she covered, is she In Foal; 2/ exactly how old are the mares (you described them as young); 3/ are they both foaling mares; 4/ what is their foaling/veterinary history (you described both mares as healthy); 5/ anything torn/bruised/abnormal; 6/ any fluids being retained and/or structural/tissue issues; 7/ what is the caliber/quality of broodmare and foal care & management, and veterinary services offered/available; 8/ has either (or both) mare(s) been short cycled; 9/ are both mares booked to the same stallion; 10/ is stallion available if/when necessary; 11/ does stallion have any issues...etc etc etc etc.

In the meantime...why not put together a list of questions and concerns you may have...then call the farm, and discuss them ALL with the farm owner/general manager.

Best to ya.

Respectfully

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Is the stud farm in PA or KY or elsewhere?

I had a similar experience in PA with 1 mare. PM the name of the stud farm, if you want to compare notes.

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 am

FOS, you are correct. A little more info is important. Mare #1- 8 YO Dixieland Band. Last year she was confirmed in foal on 1 cover and absorbed pregnancy. She was not rebred. This year I had her palpated on April 11th. She had a folicle measuring 51 and I didn't have time to get her to stud. I took her to stud farm 9 days later on the 20th. She was given Prostin several times (not sure of date) and was bred on May 4th. They recommended I keep her there to breed on a split cycle which never happened. I picked her up on the 16th. Mare # 2- 13 YO Citidancer she foaled April 22nd . Foaling went perfect. Dropped placenta in 20 minutes post foaling. Vet checked her,came out 100%. Took her to stud farm May 5th. She was bred today(May 17th). She was given several shots of Prostin. She has no history of any complications. I have 2 healthy foals out of her. Both going to same stallion. I take care of them myself. They are kept in pasture and fed Mccauleys breeding stock feed.

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Fri May 17, 2013 3:54 pm

This might help. http://info.selectbreeders.com/blog/bid ... -Foal-Heat It looks like getting the mare to the stud on day 13 might have been a little late to catch the "foal heat" cycle.
make mind bets, it's better to lose your mind than your money:>) - TJ

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat May 18, 2013 11:46 am

hi Blue Feather

Your follow-up is appreciated. Sounds like you make plenty of effort to stay on top of things.

Blue feather wrote: FOS, you are correct. A little more info is important. Mare #1- 8 YO Dixieland Band. Last year she was confirmed in foal on 1 cover and absorbed pregnancy. She was not rebred..
Even though she was confirmed in foal on 1 cover last year, who knows...maybe there was some fluid (or some other issue) that contributed to/instigated the loss. Just asking...but when initially checked in foal (last year), was Mare #1 palpated and/or ultrasounded...was her progesterone level known/determined, when/how often was she rechecked (manually/ultrasound)...and, when was it confirmed that she was not in foal.

Blue feather wrote:This year I had her palpated on April 11th. She had a folicle measuring 51 and I didn't have time to get her to stud. I took her to stud farm 9 days later on the 20th. She was given Prostin several times (not sure of date) and was bred on May 4th. They recommended I keep her there to breed on a split cycle which never happened. I picked her up on the 16th.
Assuming (what a dangerous word it can be :lol: ) she ovulated on April 11th, and received a shot of prostin the appropriate number of days post ovulation...the May 4th cover date leads me to believe (on the surface anyway) that the second prostin shot got things moving. Whatever, hopefully the May 4th cover will produce the result you're hoping for.

Just asking...do you use a teaser? Was Mare # 1 checked at any time prior to the check that indicated a 51 follicle; if so, was it noted whether or not the follicle was advancing quickly? I :wink: assume :wink: she had a clean culture? Oh well, bummer she missed the opportunity to be covered on April 10th or 11th.

Maybe all's well...and you'll know as soon as in a day or 2 if she's in foal. How about pulling a progesterone too...who knows, maybe she'll need some help (ala regumate), if she is in foal. Also, knowing she was in foal last year, only to subsequently come up not-in-foal...it may make a whole lotta sense to cover your bases (when she is checked), pertaining to fluid(s) being retained that potentially could wreak havoc.

Blue feather wrote:Mare # 2- 13 YO Citidancer she foaled April 22nd . Foaling went perfect. Dropped placenta in 20 minutes post foaling. Vet checked her,came out 100%.
If everything was 100% (no tear/bruising etc), was breeding her on her foal heat considered?

Blue feather wrote:Took her to stud farm May 5th. She was bred today(May 17th). She was given several shots of Prostin. She has no history of any complications.
Hopefully all's well, she ovulated off the cover, and will check in foal carrying one; then have an uneventful full-term pregnancy, that will produce an exceptional foal.

Blue feather wrote:I have 2 healthy foals out of her. Both going to same stallion. I take care of them myself. They are kept in pasture and fed Mccauleys breeding stock feed.
Raising your own and watching them evolve can be very rewarding. Remember too...when in foal, your Mare # 1 will be eating for 2, and your mare with a foal at her side will be eating for 3 (if she too is in foal).

With that in mind, I would strongly recommend that you feed a VERY high quality horse feed. ALL feeds are different, and don't think for a second that it's only about simple numbers/percentages. Protein, fat and fiber percentages, quality, digestibility etc etc etc vary...as do vitamins and minerals in the bag.

So why not consider (for starters anyway) a very high quality product that offers 15% crude protein, 10% percent crude fat, and 16% crude fiber...plus no less than ALL the minimum daily requirements (and why not compare the Guaranteed Analysis on the bag/tag to other highly regarded equine feeds; and ask questions if you're uncertain what it all means) to maximize what's necessary for the mare...the fetus she is carrying...and the foal at her side. And I would strongly recommend that your horses have an abundance of quality forage available to them as necessary/regularly; and clean, fresh water available 24/7.

I don't know Mccauleys breeding stock feed, but if it's called breeding stock feed, I'd check the ingredients in the bag closely...to make sure the mare, fetus and foal at side are getting everything they need to enhance their chances be the best they can be.

Be assured, your energy, concerns and commitment, as they relate to your horses, is appreciated; and hopefully your efforts will bear fruit, deliver wonderful memories, and reap fabulous rewards.

Best to ya.

Respectfully

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 am

I think the timetables you presented sound pretty fair and reasonable. I wouldn't have the impression you're being bilked. Had they been there a couple months without being covered, then alarm bells might go off.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 am

Mare number 1's pregnancy confirmed. Mare number two will be checked next week. I will post results.

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Getting milked

Postby murphysmom » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 am

I am in the same boat, but a different river. Per the vet's suggestion, I moved my 2 mares from the boarding facility where I was paying $20 per day mare care & would have paid $100 per shed run to a place with a verbal agreement with the boarding facility for $20 per day mare care & $50 per shed run. She was supposed to send me the contract but never did. 2 days prior to my 2 mares leaving the boarding facility, the owner emails me to tell me that the fee is $25 per day per mare & $150 per shed run.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 pm

If you had a verbal agreement at a specific rate and now they change it then just pay them the original agreed to amount and take your horses away and go to court. I don't have a contract where any of my horses are....