Broadmare leaking urine into uterus

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

btcountess
Maiden Special Weight

Broadmare leaking urine into uterus

Postby btcountess » Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Anyone have any success with curing or being able to breed a mare that has this problem? Vet has cleaned her out, put in antibiotics but the urine is killing the sperm.
Horses are pure love.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Re: Broadmare leaking urine into uterus

Postby FOS » Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 am

hi btcountess

btcountess wrote:Anyone have any success with curing or being able to breed a mare that has this problem? Vet has cleaned her out, put in antibiotics but the urine is killing the sperm.

Urine/fluid retention can be a difficult issue to deal with, much less resolve/cure.

The mare's age, reproductive history and current status etc etc are important to know to better understand the specific circumstance(s).

Right now (approaching June this 2013 breeding season) the mare's conception, then carrying, and ultimately presenting a healthy full term live foal in 2014, is certainly what you and your vet are working toward.

As for curing (your word) the problem, that may be another matter all together. With that in mind, if the mare does not conceive during this breeding season, and carry to term, I would guess your vet will likely discuss any number of possibilities/options to deal with the concern(s)/problem(s)/issue(s), maybe including (for consideration) on his/her list...urethral extension, and acupuncture.

Best of luck.

Respectfully

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Mon May 27, 2013 6:01 am

HI,
This is my first post, but your question got me motivated to activate my account.
I am dealing with this issue in a young mare right now. I've got a team working on the situation so I have a treatment plan that we used on my mare that you can look at and decide if you think it might work for yours. The biggest challenge is if your mare is older and has had lots of foals, she may just not be able to regain tone no matter what you do for her. If that is the case then I would not put all the money into this treatment plan, I think you will likely have to go to the urethral extension. For me, it makes sense to try this because A) my mare is a young mare that just happened to have a humongous first foal so she should be able to get that tone back and B) I have a no guarantee season that I stand to lose and surgery would definitely mean I lose the season.

I have found acupuncture to be quite effective. When we started, the mare was holding a bucket load of pee in the vagina. I had the acupuncture performed 3 times before going into the actual "breeding plan". The first 2 times resulted in lots of urine dumping (so you get the satisfaction of immediate results!). After each session the muscles came up enough that she would be dry. By the last pre-breeding plan session she was dry before and after urination. That's step 1, getting the mare to a point where she is generally dry. Also, she should be on 24 hr turnout because that movement helps to keep them dried out.

When they come into heat, the acupuncture is going to play a big role because as things start to loosen up the pooling can come back. Before we started the treatment plan the uterus was full of fluid, tons of edema, and the cervix was irritated from the urine. By the time we went to the shed this last round, the uterus was free of fluid, the irritation was gone, there was still a small amount of urine that we had to deal with, but we got it cleared up in one day and it never got above the cervix.

So here is the "it's late in the season so go big or go home" plan. You've done the pre-breed steps and she's generally dry, here's where you go next:
Day 1: acupuncture
Day 2: acupuncture
Day 3: short the mare (we did this so we could control the cycle), check for fluid in the uterus, and put her on Exceed (has great uterine penetration)
Day 4: your check book gets a break!
Day 5: Check the status of the follicle, check for fluid, acupuncture
Day 6: acupuncture
Day 7: This is the big day! Dose with Exceed again. Culture (your vet may have to do it through the spec if there is any urine in there, that will keep contaminants from being pushed from the vagina into the uterus), Breed, give Deslorelin (I gave it post evening cover because we wanted a second AM cover)
Day 8: Breed AM if mare will still stand. PM infuse, check ovulation and fluid status.
Day 9: Acupuncture and PM infuse again
Day 10: Acupuncture and AM infuse, then 1,000 lb dose of Banamine, caslick
Keep on Banamine for 2 more days to stop an inflammation from the infusing. 7 days post cover start 10cc Regumate and don't stop.

Cross your fingers and hope for good news! Good Luck!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm

what is the mare worth as a broodmare; i.e., how many stakes winners has she produced or how many stakes races did she wil?

Can you buy a better horse than she is going to produce with the Vet bill you are going to build up?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Tue May 28, 2013 3:50 am

It sounds worse than it is. The urethral extension is a standing surgery that costs less than $1,000, this alternative treatment was also less than $1,000 if you only look at the extra you are putting in, i.e. not counting the culture, caslick etc that you would need to do in a regular mare. For me if you price the surgery plus the stud fee that I would be losing in the no guarantee season the surgery suddenly became a lot more expensive.

If you do nothing at all then you end up with a completely useless mare with scarred uterine tissue. My experience is that the useless ones are the most expensive :lol:

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri May 31, 2013 1:04 am

Again, what are her credentials ?

There is something worse than a barran mare and that is a mare that drops anon commercial foal every year that can not make his expenses.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]