Halsey Minor Chapter 7

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

dublino
Grade I Winner

Halsey Minor Chapter 7

Postby dublino » Fri May 31, 2013 2:25 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... bankruptcy

This guy is some ass clown blew through $350m dollars - MUPPET.
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri May 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Without knowing all the facts I cannot criticize my old friend. Halsey is one of the most brilliant people I've ever known and, like most true entrepreneurs, he has always been willing to accept high risk ventures as necessary tools to acquire high returns. The great minds of industry---such as Edison, Ford, Morgan---counted far greater numbers of failures than successes. If they had listened to their detractors they might not have persevered in their work--to the detriment of society. Im not necessarily putting Halsey in that same league but I do know that this bump in his road will do nothing to stop his enthusiasm for fulfilling hi dreams.

When he was negotiating with Frank Stronach to purchase Santa Anita, Golden Gate, Pimlico and Laurel I helped him with some of the future planning for the two California tracks. His ideas were off the wall---in a good sense. His grandstand ideas for GGF were based on the precept that the fans need to be ENTERTAINED, not just housed. He approved of my idea of building a hillside turf course, similar to Santa Anita's, which would replace the current grandstand. He had many other marvelous concepts which the failing establishment would have seen as folly.

Instead of instituting changes Halsey prescribed, maybe we should keep following the same "leaders" that "led" us into our current state.

Halsey will bounce back. I just hope the blinkered Horse Racing Industry will finally recognize that he represents the future, while the status quo represents only failure.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Barcaldine wrote: He approved of my idea of building a hillside turf course, similar to Santa Anita's, which would replace the current grandstand.

That's an interesting idea, Barc. The turf course would have started by the valet parking and swung around through the owner/trainer lot and out to the track? Where would you have relocated the stands? Just hypothetical of course, but interesting.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 pm

I can see why Halsey failed now, you tried to turn a $5,000 mare into $250,000 recently.

How to make a small fortune in horse racing, start with a big fortune.
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:18 am

Doc,

You're exactly right about the hillside turf course. Pretty neat, huh?

The stands were Halsey's most revolutionary idea; in fact, Im not even sure I can adequately describe them without a visual. First off, they looked nothing like the conventional racetrack structures. Domino shaped--like the United Nations building--but without side walls.They were to be built in the infield facing both directions, with unobstructed views of the entire track and San Francisco Bay. Features unseen in all other tracks. Designed for comfort and convenience. Truly a remarkable structure.

BTW, do you know if the REAL Doc Jocoy is still living??? (The vet, not the horse).

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:43 am

Barcaldine wrote:Doc,

You're exactly right about the hillside turf course. Pretty neat, huh?

The stands were Halsey's most revolutionary idea; in fact, Im not even sure I can adequately describe them without a visual. First off, they looked nothing like the conventional racetrack structures. Domino shaped--like the United Nations building--but without side walls.They were to be built in the infield facing both directions, with unobstructed views of the entire track and San Francisco Bay. Features unseen in all other tracks. Designed for comfort and convenience. Truly a remarkable structure.

BTW, do you know if the REAL Doc Jocoy is still living??? (The vet, not the horse).

Having the stands view the bay would have been wonderful. Ir's almost scary how beautiful that view of the bay is from Golden
Gate, such prime real estate.

And sadly, the real Doc died a few years ago. If you ever get a chance to read his book, its quite the page turner.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:47 am

You're right. The views from a new grandstand--with a revolving restaurant on top--would have lured many newcomers. That's just a fraction of what Halsey envisioned.

Halsey is still a young guy (mid 40's) and Stronach isn't, so don't be surprised if you see his proposals re-emerge in a couple of years.

Sorry to hear about Doc Jocoy. He and his wife raced a very good Fleet Nasrullah filly, PEGGY'S WORLD, back in the sixties and they were quite a colorful couple. No one ever said a harsh word about him. Those were the days!

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:59 am

[quote="dublino"]I can see why Halsey failed now, you tried to turn a $5,000 mare into $250,000 recently.

How to make a small fortune in horse racing, start with a big fortune.[/quote]

Boommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:52 am

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

--Eleanor Roosevelt

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:15 am

"Let them march all they want, as long as they continue to pay their taxes"

--Alexander Haig

"We believe that electricity exists, because the electric company keeps sending us bills for it, but we cannot figure out how it travels inside wires"

--Dave Barry
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey Doc,

I ran across this video of the 1962 Kentucky Derby, won by the Cal-bred DECIDEDLY (who is buried at the old El Peco Ranch, next to HILL RISE).

Meeting him in the winner's circle is DOC JOCOY, looking dapper as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5b-SeFLnKk

I remember that race all too well, I was seven years old and had already become addicted to horses. Cant believe it was more than 50 years ago!

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Barcaldine wrote:Hey Doc,

I ran across this video of the 1962 Kentucky Derby, won by the Cal-bred DECIDEDLY (who is buried at the old El Peco Ranch, next to HILL RISE).

Meeting him in the winner's circle is DOC JOCOY, looking dapper as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5b-SeFLnKk

I remember that race all too well, I was seven years old and had already become addicted to horses. Cant believe it was more than 50 years ago!

That was nice to see. Thanks Barc.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 am

[quote="Barcaldine"]"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

--Eleanor Roosevelt[/quote]
8)
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...