Big Brown And The Scumbags

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 pm

well I remember being the only barn not injecting steroids or doing pre race on a full training center,so they are not the "only" ones that got it,that cannot be a factor.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm with TJ, I think we've yet to see the best of Big Brown as a stallion. He has a number of 3 year olds knocking on the door, a filly running in a Grade 3 tomorrow, and Maracuya who was 4th in a Grade 1 in her 3rd career start. I read he covered the best book of mares in Australia which have yet to hit the track and I think it's a good sign that Three Chimney's purchased interest in him.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:30 pm

dublino wrote:Hi TJ

I have been adamant that Big Brown and Curlin won't be good sires from the time they retired.

Both were alledgely given steroids shots regularly during their racing careers to boost results on the track you cannot pass this altered ability on through genes.

Hi Dub,
Modern day steroids were administered once monthly as was the case with Big Brown and it was perfectly legal at that time. Steroids were given twice monthly back in the day and all the great America race horses and stallions were on them. You picked the last Derby horse to ever legally win it on steroids:>) Yet by singling out these two (Curlin and Big Brown)....how about all those who came before them loaded with Winstrol V and did just fine? Like Joe Pesci asked in My Cousin Vinny, "does the defenses case hold water? :>)." In Big Brown's case, Marisa Tomei might say his "biological clock is tickin like this":>) TJ

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Did Curlin have steroids in his system when he won in Dubai?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:49 pm

pfrsue wrote:Did Curlin have steroids in his system when he won in Dubai?

Hi Sue,
No....at that time steroids were allowed in that country only when a horse was out of competition. I think they had a two week withdrawal for steroids at that time in Dubai for shippers....not positive, it may have been more? After the Sheikh was embarrassed in England recently with his horses coming up positive for steroids, he proclaimed as only a Sheikh can...steroids are now a criminal offense to possess in Dubai. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:38 am

TJ wrote:he proclaimed as only a Sheikh can...steroids are now a criminal offense to possess in Dubai. TJ

Lets hope your not a Verizon customer TJ. :wink:
Edited by Moderator