Big Brown And The Scumbags

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Big Brown And The Scumbags

Postby Patuxet » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Pulitzer worthy journalism that details the whole sorry story and its cast of unsavory characters.

http://deadspin.com/how-big-browns-peop ... -504679834
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:28 am

Patuxet,

Great piece of writing as I had no idea it went this deep. It is a shame that you can have 70 violations and still continue to race and take money from innocent bettors.

At what point do we create a national racing authority to deal with this type of problem? Maybe owners and others who care about the sport should start a black list for trainers and make it public. That should get some attention.

I am glad I read this article as I actually was going to bet on Vyjak for the Belmont today. The fact that his assistant trainer went on his own , had more violations and is allowed to race in one of the biggest makes me sick. Shame on Racing authorities....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:07 am

well done. now if he could turn those talents again to a positive story for the industry.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 am

Joltman wrote:well done. now if he could turn those talents again to a positive story for the industry.

jm

Hi Jolt,
Agreed....This is old news, first reported by the Paulick Report a few years ago. The people who have been involved with IEAH is widespread and you would be surprised at who they've partnered with, like Michael Tabor, Mike Dubb, Paul Pompa, Sanford Goldfarb, Burt Bacharach, Sanford H. Robbins, Andrew Cohen (who now put together his own racing partnership, racing Giant Finish in today's Belmont Stakes). None of these people were aware of the actual financier (Tagliaferri) at the time (and he may have come in after Big Brown's original deal was set in September of 2007). It's stories like this, that will destroy racing and it seems to be a trend to do just that over the last 5-10 years. Racing is getting so volatile, that major news outlets are eliminating or limiting racing news all together from their paper's, like the NY Post and NY Daily News. Concerning Ricky Dutrow, he would still be in the business if he didn't appeal the original 90 day suspension they first bestowed upon him. When he appealed the decision they went after him with a vengeance and the original 90 day suspension became 10 years. Again, many of you would be surprised to know how many trainers had nearly as many suspensions as Dutrow did. Very few trainers, with large stables, go through their career without multiple infractions and suspensions.....most aren't even their fault. Dutrow's stable was found to have loaded syringes in his office at Aqueduct which was damning evidence in his sentence, yet Dutrow himself was in Florida training at GP when they were found. During his final 8 years of racing, from 2005 he received approx 50 rulings while Asmussen (trainer of the year in 2008) received 45 and 10 of those coming in the year 2008? One is honored the other is banned. Not only does racing need a nationwide drug plan....it could use consistent suspension rulings as well. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... g-coverage

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Asmussen time is coming. if the damn vets down here would stop covering for him he would of been suspended like Dutrow already. The Louisiana racing commission was set to give him 10 years and he wiggles his way out of that one.

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29 pm

ageecee wrote:Asmussen time is coming. if the damn vets down here would stop covering for him he would of been suspended like Dutrow already. The Louisiana racing commission was set to give him 10 years and he wiggles his way out of that one.

Details?
make mind bets, it's better to lose your mind than your money:>) - TJ

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Cewright,

He had a horse test positive for a Scheduled 3 drug I think. said the vet gave the horse the wrong shot when in fact Asmussen ordered the vet to give him the shot.

Another time he had a 2 yr old run in a Futurity trial and told the jock just to finish at least 3rd to qualify him for the finals. Horse ran 2nd when in fact he should of won the race. Bettors went ballistic. This was what they wanted to give him 10 yrs for.

I could go on and on

toadie
Allowance Winner

Postby toadie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 pm

ageecee wrote:Asmussen time is coming. if the damn vets down here would stop covering for him he would of been suspended like Dutrow already. The Louisiana racing commission was set to give him 10 years and he wiggles his way out of that one.

No secret that I'll be dancin' in the aisle when his time DOES finally come!
"Most people hate the taste of beer to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome."-Winston Churchill

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm

wonder what would have happened f the Vet had refused to give the shot.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 am

I have never been so relieved for a horse NOT to win the Triple Crown, which is a shame, because I really didn't have anything against the horse.

How much did it hurt Big Brown, when he went to stud, to be connected to IEAH?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:07 am

Firebrand wrote:I have never been so relieved for a horse NOT to win the Triple Crown, which is a shame, because I really didn't have anything against the horse.

How much did it hurt Big Brown, when he went to stud, to be connected to IEAH?

Hi Fire,
One thing about the racing business is that big money talks (and opens doors otherwise closed to many). That's the reason why IEAH was able to enter into partnerships with so many top horses and owners. BB's breeding rights were sold to Three Chimneys for 50 million and covered more than 100 mares in his first year at stud....decent support for a first year sire. That number has increased every year since. Now that IEAH sold out (Jan. 2013) their holdings to a savvy group of investors (including Three Chimneys), I suspect this will afford BB a better opportunity of becoming an outstanding sire. http://www.drf.com/news/ieah-sells-its- ... -big-brown
Here is an interesting video about exercise rider Brian VanSteenbergh, who has the pleasure of galloping the studs standing at Three Chimneys. This is worth watching and would be a good idea for the rest of these stud farms to follow up with one of their own. Great way to learn a little about the the sires you are interested in breeding to. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... iple-crown

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 am

[quote="griff"]wonder what would have happened f the Vet had refused to give the shot.

griff[/quote]

Fired..........

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 am

TJ wrote:I suspect this will afford BB a better opportunity of becoming an outstanding sire.

TJ Big Brown is making Curlin look like AP Indy.

Exile from Kentucky or a trip to the slaughter house is next for Big Brown.
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:17 am

dublino wrote:
TJ wrote:I suspect this will afford BB a better opportunity of becoming an outstanding sire.

TJ Big Brown is making Curlin look like AP Indy.

Exile from Kentucky or a trip to the slaughter house is next for Big Brown.

Hi Dub,
I said an opportunity to become....we've only seen one 3YO crop get to the races and I believe he may be better accepted with the withdrawal of IEAH and Three Chimneys stronger hold over his future. His foals do come out running, seem to sell well and they win early. Not just here but in Europe, Japan and Russia as well (Apollo Sonic 3rd in the GR I Japanese Derby). He also has been shuttling to Austrailia since 2010. He covered 255 mares in two seasons there, but missed the 2012 season due to a laceration on his hind leg. I believe it is a bit to soon to take a stand against Big Brown as a sire and I'm expecting to see a better crop of 2 year olds this season. Especially interested in seeing his foals of 2013 get to the races since IEAH would no longer be associated with him as owner. TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi TJ

I have been adamant that Big Brown and Curlin won't be good sires from the time they retired.

Both were alledgely given steroids shots regularly during their racing careers to boost results on the track you cannot pass this altered ability on through genes.
Edited by Moderator