The most egregious fake-progeny/hypomating?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

The most egregious fake-progeny/hypomating?

Postby Heidilady » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm in the process of deleting all 22 of the fake offspring someone created for High Class Lady (aka High Class Lady2). I've seen a few before, but this is pretty much the worst I've encountered. It might've been 23 but I can't remember if I counted the first one I deleted or not. All I was trying to do was see what races Backtalk (by Smarty Jones) had won. Then I realized he had a fake progeny entry for 2008 and he'd been foaled in 2007. It occurred to me to check that mare's entries because if they'd created a fake foal by Backtalk, maybe there were others. Yup. I'd say 22ish qualifies. None of her progeny listed were legit. :roll: I don't want to assume it's High Class Lady's current owner, but I can't think who'd latch onto that mare and make up that many foals with distinct names just for kicks. You'd think it'd be someone with some connection to her. Maybe it was a fan who wished they'd owned her, I don't know. Annoying is what it is.

This site may require money for things like the hypomating which is part of the premium option, but other sites do free hypos for a lot of stallions. Not everybody is educated enough about those options and instead of appreciating that you have to pay for that here, other people end up with work to do cleaning up the mess. I just wondered if anybody else has found worse.

ETA: This was the tip of the frickin' iceberg, apparently. Whoever this is has done this for other mares to the point that I'm going down rabbit holes for the stallions High Class Lady was "bred" to. It's always the same stallions, e.g. Circular Quay, Admiral Agrippa, Saint Anddan, among others, and based on this I'm assuming this person lives in/near Ocala. :?
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:55 am

Not quite as bad as what you're talking about, but at one time we owned a Seattle Slew mare named Street Money. Over the course of a year, someone listed 7-8 fake progeny for her, mostly by different sires and all of them named. According to her progeny report, she was having several foals a year! I used to pull her report every few months and clean things out.

I never knew who was messing with her or why. I speculated that she was part of a sim game, and that possibly someone had gotten interested in her because she was by Slew? I would assume that if a mare's owner is making changes and additions, the info is correct. And that the the wrong/crazy stuff is coming from a different source.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 am

Sometimes it's people who don't know the correct spelling of a stallion. There were many Nobiz Like Showbiz... when it should have been Nobiz Like Shobiz. I corrected those.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:59 am

Grr. Add Big Drama offspring to the list. Well, fake offspring I should say. All the fake ones are now gone, but as you might guess, not the end of the story. See that tipped me off (as it did earlier) to check the mares that supposedly had his babies smack in the middle of his active racing career and sure enough, some of them had several foals for 2011.

The same stallions keep reappearing. Not all the same as in the original post, but some of them are--I just mean people check out multiple mares with the same 5 or 6 stallions when they do this kind of thing it seems like. At least some of them are Ocala. Maybe they all were around 2010-2011 and have since moved around a bit. Someone in Florida (at least in my head they are) needs to get smacked up side the head. You know who you are, and you're being obnoxious.

See, it's not like I'm constantly hunting up things to get in a snit about. :? I mind my own business, go to look up Buckpasser line stallions, and then this stuff happens. Can't just dump it in a mod's lap. I usually do that on a point of confusion, if it's locked, or if it's so complicated I couldn't unwind without help.

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 am

Heidilady,
There is a certain person who uses this forum who posts fake offspring related to horses he is trying to sell. Of course, he makes them stakes winners. I have run across many of them. When confronted he claims to be "innocent." Yeah right....

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:09 pm

pembroke wrote:Heidilady,
There is a certain person who uses this forum who posts fake offspring related to horses he is trying to sell. Of course, he makes them stakes winners. I have run across many of them. When confronted he claims to be "innocent." Yeah right....

Yikes. :shock: Not a shock that somebody would be trying to make their own horses look better, but I guess I always imaged they'd improperly mark their horse blacktype. Creating fake horses is just an extra step of fraud. I take it you saw their real name at some point and saw a pattern? Well done on noticing that. I can only hope people do their research better.

If there's not a way to track who made what changes, I wonder if there's a way to find that and when it's blatant, suspend the account. I'd suspend that one just because they're improperly using the database so frequently and if nothing else, it's incompetence. I'd love to know what this guy thinks is so innocent. Does he claim not to know what blacktype means? And if he doesn't know, what the heck is he doing selling horses?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Caveat Emptor....

It's nice that you all want to bring this to people's attention, but they were the one's who were too cheap to buy the data directly from the jockey club but yet eagerly take the money from anyone who is willing to input a credit card.

I think anyone who knowingly enters bogus data is wrong and should be punished accordingly but I doubt they'd invest a penny in trying to rein that information in. They know there are people who will delete the bad records for them so what is in it for them?

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Oh, he is well aware that it is fraud, doesn't care and is well aware of what blacktype is. I think it is a sickness with him. Makes him feel important . I have deleted some of the horses he has created. I will continue when I spot them. This person doesn't have an account I don't think, so how would one stop him?

Elusive City
Allowance Winner

Postby Elusive City » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 am

pembroke wrote:Oh, he is well aware that it is fraud, doesn't care and is well aware of what blacktype is. I think it is a sickness with him. Makes him feel important . I have deleted some of the horses he has created. I will continue when I spot them. This person doesn't have an account I don't think, so how would one stop him?

I have deleted so many horses over the years its not funny.

anyone touching my sires with fake horses are instantly deleted. :-)

EC

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Just a thought: Maybe a separate name or data file could be created to allow people to hypo-mate and keep the file open for educational purposes. Could have a code after the name or the word Hypo.

It is actually educational to see other breeder's thought processes. Solves the problem of those frustrated by needing actual info versus hypothetical info. :idea: