unnamed foal

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

unnamed foal

Postby Affirmed1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:33 pm

2 1/2 year old colt out of grade one winning parents listed as unnamed in the database. Any thoughts on what this means? Wouldn't a foal normally be named early in the 2 year old year?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm

If you mean this database, could be that it's just not up to date.

If you mean the JC database, it could mean anything from the foal died or was severely injured after it was registered, to it's just taking a long time to mature so nobody's gotten around to picking a name yet.

The "free" naming deadline is 2/1 of the 2yo year. But once that's passed, the same late fee applies no matter how late the foal is named.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:31 pm

I assume the policy of PQ for an unnamed offspring is that it should be pulled from the database. I just checked for some out of curiousity. There's a 2008 gelding by Mutakddim out of Take the Picture called, as you might guess, "No Name" but that is not, in fact, his moniker. There are some of those horses with that name that are legitimately called that, but undoubtedly some are unnamed.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

thanks for responding

Postby Affirmed1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:43 pm

The foal in question for me was the Tiznow-Honey Ryder colt born in 2011. It seems late to me for a foal with such great bloodlines not to be named yet. I do know that both parents were late bloomers, so maybe the connections are just waiting to name this foal. :)

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Heidilady wrote:I assume the policy of PQ for an unnamed offspring is that it should be pulled from the database. I just checked for some out of curiousity. There's a 2008 gelding by Mutakddim out of Take the Picture called, as you might guess, "No Name" but that is not, in fact, his moniker. There are some of those horses with that name that are legitimately called that, but undoubtedly some are unnamed.

There are way more TBs that were actually named "No Name" than still entered here after I deleted a couple that weren't. Contemporary TBs should not be added to the db unless they're named. Before they're named they can be mentioned in the 'remarks' field of their dams' entries.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: thanks for responding

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 am

Affirmed1 wrote:The foal in question for me was the Tiznow-Honey Ryder colt born in 2011. It seems late to me for a foal with such great bloodlines not to be named yet. I do know that both parents were late bloomers, so maybe the connections are just waiting to name this foal. :)

I am still waiting for 2011 foals from You, Jostle, and Jen's Fashion to be named. They ARE registered and not listed as deceased. Maybe the VIP ones have folks agonizing over names longer?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 am

They just named the Rags to Riches 2010 colt....

There are some people who just don't name them until they are ready to race. Once you miss the deadline the late fee doesn't increase.