Strange.....

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Strange.....

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:12 am

The barn I work in at Trackside is currently half empty, after having the other half occupied by Tom Amoss (very partial stable) and before them, Liz Gray. After the Churchill meet ended, a lot of trainers left Trackside so there is currently 4 or 5 empty barns. We got a new neighbor the day before yesterday, a gal with one horse. Yesterday morning she tacked up the horse, got a rider up and sent the horse out to jog a bit and light canter a bit. When the horse got back, she hosed her down and took her to the end of the barn to see a farrier who had come in just for that horse. No walking or anything. When the farrier was done she put the horse up in the stall with one of those stall webbings made of actual WEBBING with holes in it.. This morning when I got there, the horse was gone and the stall was stripped. She left owing my neighbor a bale of straw and half a bale of hay, having shipped in with absolutely NOTHING for her horse. I looked her up - Janet Mellinger. The horse was Simply Dashing who is slated to run on Friday at Indiana Downs. I was told the trainer did the same thing two days earlier at Churchill Downs. I wonder what is really UP with that????
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 am

I know two tracks in the West Coast that allow that. It becoming more common now. The rules are slack why not to sure.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Who ships anywhere with NOTHING for their horse?! Is she an assistant for someone and they don't know that she is going around "borrowing" basics everywhere she goes? Is she a poor planner / packer? I generally have enough set up in my trailer for a 5 horse stable and I can't even fit 5 horses in my trailer!

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Many people don't. There are many people in the racing world that do this.
Where did she get the tack if she had nothing?

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:14 pm

I rent stalls 5 minutes down river from Mnr, there is a little 3 yr old there owned by a local who has never paid rent on his stall, does not bring hay with him when he sneaks in around midnight once a week to put him on the equiciser and because I feed and water the horse the authorities will do nothing. I guess it will have to starve before anything is done.......so basically it's a stalemate!

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Mellinger is 2/19 in 2013 and won with the horse June 28th at Indiana. Maybe call the owners and tell them whats going on.

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 pm

I had a trainer that had the same M.O. except I didn't know it
until it was too late. He would use a fake name but give my real
name and the bills started coming to me after I paid him a nice
day rate. Needless to say those poor people didn't get their money
and I no longer have a crooked trainer (because I don't have a horse
in training at the moment) :D
JimP
White Cat Farm
[email protected]

"the gene pool could use a little chlorine"

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:38 pm

what do stalls cost at trackside and do they have riders available there for hire?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 am

Trackside has no stall rent when Churchill is running - they also have no stall rent from mid March when they open until some time in July. There will be no stall rent from mid August thru probably the end of the year (they close end of December) because of the new September meet at Churchill. For about 26 days (right now) the stall rent is $7 per day and there are lots of riders ($15 per horse). It is a really NICE facility; the track is 6f sandy loam and PROPERLY maintained. Nice starting gate and gate crew. The gate is open right now from M-F 7:15 to 9:15 am. It is, however, a Churchill property and they can be sticky to deal with.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:20 am

Jeez, how long has that been going on? Sounds too good to be true ,there must be a downside. So basically the overnight trainer just stiffed your friend for some hay and straw............happens all the time and it's a shame. Maybe she will stop by and square up on the way back, I would.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:01 am

The horse ran last nite and ran 8th. I guess the karma is already working.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 am

The downside is that stalls are very hard to come by when Churchill is running - and preference is given to KY breds. There is also PRESSURE to run at Churchill and pretty much forbidden to ship elsewhere to run when the meet is going. They might let your horse LEAVE but they are kind of unlikely to let it return. Stall apps for the summer were due in July 5th - The stall apps for the September meet will be coming up soon.

The upside (and it is a BIG one) is that during the Churchill meets there is a FREE shuttle van to and from the track. It is one of those massive Sallee tractor trailers. They also used to have a free shuttle to Arlington Park - I don't know if that will happen again or not. There is an HBPA office onsite and shuttle vans back and forth to Churchill..

Another little known fact - over on Heywood Ave there is a big old brick school that was converted into (nice) apartments. Thru the HBPA - an apt is $400/mo including utilities, and the building is for racetrackers only. It is walking distance to Churchill. The downside is that the neighborhood is kind of seedy :D ladies of the night and that sort of thing.

wilf, stop in sometime I will give you a tour :lol:

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Of the ladies of the night?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 am

:lol: :lol: no, of trackside silly.