TB Colt Sold - Payments Stopped - Hidden in Kentucky

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

TB Colt Sold - Payments Stopped - Hidden in Kentucky

Postby murphysmom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 pm

I foolishly sold a 2 year old TB colt (Diamond Strike x Charmer) & let him leave the premises in MI without being paid for in full. He's some where hidden at a race training barn close to Shadwell in Lexington, KY. I've attempted to serve her with court papers but she's dodging the certified mails & in fact sent me an email to that effect (ha,ha you can't serve me). I've notified the Jockey Club that I still have his registration papers & they're in my name& not to issue her duplicate papers. What else can I do?

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 pm

if you know where shes at you can go there and talk to her.

Maybe call the sheriffs dept and see what they say

wen8t
Maiden Special Weight

colt

Postby wen8t » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm

You got a pm

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:36 pm

At least you kept the papers.And do you have a contract?Because it could be criminal and no bailiff will be needed just cops...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

cewright
Allowance Winner

horse

Postby cewright » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Perhaps you should contact an Kentucky atty such a HPKing, a moderator for this database. He will give you much better advice than you will ever get from the open internet.
make mind bets, it's better to lose your mind than your money:>) - TJ

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks for the info. I've tried talking to the buyer. She's "fled the coop" & the country. She's uncooperative & is unwilling to return the horse.
I've notified the Jockey Club not to issue duplicate papers. Tried notifying the authorities (police, etc.) but there's nothing they can do since I don't know the exact location of the colt (county/jurisdiction).

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 am

If the buyer is physically GONE and not taking care of the the horse, it is quite likely the training center manager would be willing to give the horse away.

You could try calling ALL of the training centers to find out which one the buyer had a stall at and see if the horse is still there. If the horse is abandoned, it is quite likely the manager would let you have the horse. You just have to pick it up.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 am

No such luck. She's just gone temporarily. She's a wealthy owner who has family in another country & other horses with different barn owners. This colt's name is "Gift Diamond". I've sent a pm to HP King for advice.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 am

You could still possibly get a LOCATION for the horse by calling the training centers and finding out where she has stalls. Another way is to find other horses in her name that have run or have published works.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 am

or post her name and story here(but only the facts no extrapolations,no may be's)same on facebook or other social networks call tracks to find her and check her stats on equibase if she has a licence...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 am

This is not really appropriate for our buying and selling "classified ads section" forum so I am going to move it on over to General Discussion.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Try talking to the people @ Netposse Stolen Horse International, they may have some suggestions.
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm

what court papers are you attempting to serve. there must be more to this story. a woman with a lot of horses from another country. who is her trainer. he or she will know where she is. what was purchase price, and what does she still owe you. If you still have the foal papers, what good is the horse to her? need more facts on this one, possibly?

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:48 am

Purchase agreement was for $2600; down payment of $400 received.
Seller is in Michigan; Buyer is in Pennsylvania; Horse is in Kentucky.
Balance of $2200 is still outstanding.
Attempted to serve small claims papers; but buyer refused to be served with certified mail.
No idea who current trainer is, but says has 2 horses in training w/Erik Posada?
Have phone appointment with HPKing tomorrow (Friday) at 10 am.
Thanks.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Good luck hope you get either your money or the horse in good shape.Thinking of you.