To Bet Or Not To Bet -- The Owner's Dilemma

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

To Bet Or Not To Bet -- The Owner's Dilemma

Postby Patuxet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:45 am

A horse of mine in his last win paid $44.40. I had nothing on him. It was his 5th start since his last win with no placing in between. By nature I'm not a betting man. Well, since I breed and race horses I suppose in that sense you could say I am.

Out of curiosity I wonder if other owners here as a matter of course (or rule of thumb) always bet on their horses? If so, how much; if not, how often and how much?

Thanks!

Allison
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 am

I would, and have. (I've only owned gifted shares so far.)
I have been at the track and seen grooms (I know because they had halters over their shoulders like knapsacks) betting at windows, and always wondered if they were betting on their charges, or someone else in the barn who looked better!!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 am

Oh, and $50 to show, only when I think they really have a shot. Very cautious, me!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.

----Arrested Development

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:43 am

Interestingly, I just Never Have Time. I am always busy with the horse. Having recently passed the trainer's test, it is interesting to note that it is against regulations in KY for a trainer to bet against the horse the trainer has entered in a race.

Back when I owned 10% of a filly, I bet $10 to win on her when, for the one and only time, everyone in the group listened to me and she ran a mile. I think I got a couple hundred back. I never bet her at 6f because she just was not a sprinter.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am

Patuxet, I've done very poorly betting on my own, like betting them to win and they've run second (and I didn't put down a place bet), or not getting around to betting and they win. But partly that's because I am a good drive from a racetrack and online options are tough for Texas bettors so its not easy to place bets anyway. So it hasn't worked out well for me, but one of my partners in California bets his horses and he does quite well I think.

Good luck figuring it out. Toccet's cautious approach would have helped me a lot :) My current horse in training has had SEVEN second place finishes out of 9 starts and I have been clobbered trying to bet him. But Toccet would have been fine :)

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am

We seldom bet on our own horses, unless we happen to think of it as soon as we get to the track. When race time comes, we're busy. And besides, as my husband always points out: we've already taken a huge gamble--we have the horse in the race.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:50 am

I almost never bet on a race I'm running in. I always get nervous beforehand plus if my horse wins the race I get the purse money, if I bet and he runs poorly then I have lost twice.

Madelyn, I would have thought it was against the rules for any trainer to bet on horses other than his own, it is certainly that way in Ontario. I think you can include other horses in exotics but your horse has to be named on top. Is this really not the case everywhere?

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:30 pm

I usually bet 10 across...not that much to lose if they don't do well.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:32 pm

When I owned shares of horses I bet $2 across the board. I guess you could call me conservative, or cheap.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:24 am

I just had a 2yo filly break her mdn at 23-1. She came back and ran 5th in a nw2 at 4-1. Guess which time I bet and which I didn't.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:33 am

I feel your pain. That has happened to me too many times.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:41 pm

I too had the uncanny ability to bet on my horse only when ready to lose. And lose I did. But the occasional wins helped with our without my money on them.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:51 pm

Funny enough I never have bet on my own. I was told years ago that it would jinx the horse. I thought about betting my filly today as she was 15-1 but I realized my modest bet wouldn't earn me nearly as much as any breeders award, so I didn't bet and she won!!! :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Well, congratulations are in order, even if you didn't bet.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:37 am

Never. No matter what the horse is paying, there isn't a bet I could reasonably make that would equal the winning purse. It would give me another reason to feel bad about the loss and I couldn't feel better about a win.

So I see it as kind of pointless.