Tell me your dystocia experiences!! Hip lock in particular!

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Tell me your dystocia experiences!! Hip lock in particular!

Postby Blue feather » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:21 pm

I suffered the loss of a mare and foal due to complications during foaling. The foal was hip locked. After a long struggle, we finally delivered foal but subsequently lost both. The foal was large at 147 lbs. I am interested in similar experiences from other breeders. Please tell me your story.

jlm
Newborn

Hip locked

Postby jlm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi,

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

I had a similar situation, but both came through OK. However, the mare did not get back in foal that year, and that is the only time she has been bred she did not take.
We had no trouble with the front end, but it took me and my husband both on this one. I usually am the sole guidance out for the foals. My mare got up to reposition the foal a few times, but it was not working. She began to practically throw herself down and roll like a violent colic, and did end up with some sores on her face. I kept her down which allowed my husband to try to rotate the foal and pull and she somehow came out- he flew back and hit the stall wall/ floor when she came out. (I am a veterinary professional and this was not done as crudely as it may sound)!
The filly was also very large- 150# on the weight tape, and I would say that was true. Very big girl. This mare is only 15.2, and is built uphill. The sire was larger than the mare. She had a couple years off, and gave us a lovely colt this year. She is the largest offspring we have had from this mare. This years was back to our previous average of about 125# from this mare. This mare also tends to carry beyond 340 days- often 2-3 weeks beyond.