PA is losing all credibility with Breeders

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

PA is losing all credibility with Breeders

Postby Blue feather » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Between the annual raids of the PA's breeding and racing development fund to balance the budget and today news article about PA Representative Todd Stevens trying to divert what amounts to ALL slot revenues for racing and breeding to education, I am seriously looking to move my small racing and breeding operation to a neighboring state. His comments show a total lack of understanding of this industry. In his opinion, the "..Sport of Kings.." is doing little more than making the rich richer. Well, I am going to get my rich ass up tomorrow morning at 4:30 am, drive my 1996 ford f 250 to the racetrack, muck a few stalls paying $4 each stall for bedding , throw down $3 worth of hay and $3 worth of feed per stall, pay $12 to the exercise boy to gallop, pay $120 to blacksmith for shoeing, enter my horse in a race in hopes of collecting the winners share and recouping $10,000 on the $30,000 I have invested in this horse. Ah yes, the rich do keep getting richer!!!

http://www.reptoddstephens.com/NewsItem ... wsID=19643

Jose
Newborn

Postby Jose » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Those are very unfortunate statements from rep Todd Stephens. The reality is that a great fraction of horse owners are not millionaires, and not many people can play the game at the highest level. Not just that, it is the huge number of jobs that rely on this industry. If PA becomes less competitive, horse owners will move their horse to jurisdictions with better incentives. The final impact will be felt on those doing the day to day jobs at the tracks and the farms. This just shows ignorance from politicians.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 am

before you move to WV check out what their gov is proposing.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Hey Griff,

Great to see you post again, you been quiet for a long time. :)

camohn
Starters Handicap

Postby camohn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Yeah I saw his comments and thought them rather ignorant.