Scratched ny Stewards.

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Scratched ny Stewards.

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:07 pm

A horse was scratched from a race recently. I looked over the race result and it said that the horse was scratched, and then in parenthesis it said Stewards.

Sometimes it has trainer in parenthesis and other times it is veterinarian in parenthesis. This was the first time I ever saw Stewards in the parenthesis.

So, the question is: Why would a horse be scratched by the stewards? Anyone know the various reasons?
Shawklit Won.

hpkingjr

Scratch

Postby hpkingjr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:36 pm

We had a first time starter saddled and on the track scratched because the trainer forgot to bring the gate card documents with him.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Or, stewards could mean it got loose before the race or smashed through the gate before the race, and they scratched it afterwards.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks guys. I thought about the horse getting loose scenario, and in fact I saw it happen once and the horse was scratched. So it must have been by the stewards.

It also could have been that the trainer forgot a document or something.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 am

LOTS of things. The trainer could have had a financial responsibility case filed and did not satisfy it (feed company, vet, etc.) The horse could have had a gate incident. Or a paddock incident. I had a filly scratched because she flipped in the paddock twice - the fellow training her put her in her first race at night racing and never paddock schooled and she just wigged out.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:56 pm

madelyn wrote:LOTS of things. The trainer could have had a financial responsibility case filed and did not satisfy it (feed company, vet, etc.) The horse could have had a gate incident. Or a paddock incident. I had a filly scratched because she flipped in the paddock twice - the fellow training her put her in her first race at night racing and never paddock schooled and she just wigged out.

Thanks. The horse I was talking about was scratched hours before the race by the stewards, so I was wondering what happened.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:27 pm

That definitely sounds like paperwork.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Cree wrote:That definitely sounds like paperwork.

You are probably right.
Shawklit Won.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Also, a lot of times in Equibase "Today's Changes," the reason is listed as "Stewards," and then is later changed as information is updated.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 pm

BargainBlueblood wrote:Also, a lot of times in Equibase "Today's Changes," the reason is listed as "Stewards," and then is later changed as information is updated.

Thanks, good point.
Shawklit Won.