Who would be you Top 10 broodmares of all time?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Keith
Grade III Winner

Who would be you Top 10 broodmares of all time?

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Somethingroyal
Plucky Liege
Selene
La Troienne
Almahmoud
Mumtaz Mahal
Rough Shod II
Grey Flight
Marguerite
Mumtaz Begum

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Who would be you Top 10 broodmares of all time?

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Great list. A couple that I might have are Weekend Surprise and My Charmer.
Shawklit Won.

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Canterbury Pilgrim should probably be top 10 as a Top 10 list is not easy. Special or Flaming Page could be a top 10.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Keith wrote:Canterbury Pilgrim should probably be top 10 as a Top 10 list is not easy. Special or Flaming Page could be a top 10.

Those are three more great broodmares

Not sure if Weekend Surprise and My Charmer would make the top 10 list, but Weekend Surprise produced A.P. Indy and Summer Squall and 3 more stakes winners and a couple stakes placed including Honor Grades, who was not a bad sire.

My Charmer produced Seattle Slew, and English classic winner Lomond, and Seattle Dancer, who sold for 13 million plus at a sale and was a stakes winner. I think that she also produced a couple of other stakes winners.

BTW, Special was not only the dam of Nureyev, but also Fairy Bridge, another great broodmare. Fairy Bridge not only was the dam of Sadlers Wells, one of the greatest sires in history, but his full brother Fairy King, a great sire in his own right. Fairy King broke his leg in his first race, but went to stud and originally had a low stud fee. Due to the success of his first few crops, Fairy King became a sire that was very much in demand

Keith: I have a feeling that there is not anything written here that you don't already know.
Shawklit Won.

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Aspidistra dam of champions Dr. Fager and Ta Wee

Urban Sea dam of Epsom Derby/Irish Derby winner Galileo and Epsom Derby/Arc De Triomphe winner Sea the Stars Italy Champion 3 year old Black Sam Bellamy and millionaire My Typhoon

Somethingroyal dam of Triple Crown winner Secretariat and very influential sire Sir Gaylord

Banquet Bell dam of Champion Older Mare/Broodmare of the Year Primonetta and champion 3 year old Kentucky Derby/Belmont S. winner Chateaugay and Luiana the dam of champion 3 year old Preakness/Belmont S. winner Little Current

Natalma dam of Northern Dancer and 3rd dam of Danehill and Machiavellian

Almahmoud dam of broodmare of the year Cosmah who is the dam of champion Tosmah , QueenSucree the dam of Kentucky Derby winner Cannonade and Halo the sire of Sunday Silence and Sunny's Halo and she is the dam of Natalma who produced the legendary Northern Dancer

Cosmah dam of Halo , Queen Sucree and Tosmah

Marguerite dam of Triple Crown winner Gallant Fox who sired Triple Crown winner Omaha , champion Foxbrough and Fighting Fox the sire of Crafty Admiral the broodmare sire of Triple Crown winner Affirmed

No Class dam of champions Sky Classic, Regal Classic, Grey Classic, Classy N' Smart the dam of champion Dance Smartly and top sire Smart Strike and No Class is also the dam of Grade 1 winner Always a Classic

Rough Shod II dam of Horse of the Year Moccassin who is the dam of champions Apalachee and Belted Earl , Champion 2 Year Old Ridan, Lt. Stevens the broodmare sire of Alysheba, Gambetta the dam of champion Gamely, Thong the dam of the great broodmare Special

It is difficult to make a top 10

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 pm

One of my all time favorites was Courtly Dee (the Betty Derr line). Another some ten years after, was Up The Flagpole (from the Striking line). Toussaud and Fall Aspen were also of interest. Recently from across the pond, Magnificient Style and Hasili have both been quite influential. Especially Hasili who's produce have crossed the pond with great success (Champs Elysees, Intercontinental, Cacique, Banks Hill, Heat Haze, Deluxe). TJ

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Arch by Kris S-Aurora by Danzig as her second dam is champion 2 year old filly/Arkansas winner Althea who equaled the track record at Oaklawn Park and was the favorite for the Kentucky Derby. The third dam of Arch is the great broodmare Courtly Dee

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:34 pm

The mighty Empiric (ARG) founded a stunning dynasty with Horses of the Year in Argentina, Peru, and South Africa; Group 1 winners in South Africa, Argentina, France, Italy, Peru, and Brazil; the winners of over 50 individual Gr-1 races, and over 90 individual stakes winners.

Here are the pedigree pages of four of her descendants. Note all the black type and that they are all from different branches of the family!

http://www.elturf.com/brochure/104004.pdf (Sebi Halo -- Emboscada via Esencia)
http://darleyeurope.com/stallions/our-s ... a/pedigree (Rio de la Plata -- Escolastica branch)
http://www.haraslapasion.com/padrillos/emperor-richard (Emperor Richard -- Emboscada via Embouche)
http://abolengo.com.ar/?page_id=4042 (Equal Stripes -- Elysee, dam of Empress Club)

Empiric is by far and away the most important broodmare in Argentina in the last 50 years. With the European racing success and Darley support of Rio de la Plata, the tremendous start at stud of Equal Stripes, and Snapy Halo standing at Calumet in the USA, the influence of this mare will begin to spread outside Argentina and South Africa.

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Rosie O'Grady by Hamburg-Cherokee Rose by Peter Pan

Dam of influential mares Erin andPotheen

2nd dam of Bold Irish and Bewitch

3rd dam of Shenanigans and Dynamo

4th dam of Ruffian and High Voltage

5th dam of Irradiate , Tell Meno Lies and Rowdy Angel

6th dam of Angel Fever

7th dam of Epitome

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:17 pm

TJ wrote:One of my all time favorites was Courtly Dee (the Betty Derr line). Another some ten years after, was Up The Flagpole (from the Striking line). Toussaud and Fall Aspen were also of interest. Recently from across the pond, Magnificient Style and Hasili have both been quite influential. Especially Hasili who's produce have crossed the pond with great success (Champs Elysees, Intercontinental, Cacique, Banks Hill, Heat Haze, Deluxe). TJ

Yep - gotta throw her in there. The progeny in the tail female still keep coming too.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

francesca
Allowance Winner

Postby francesca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:14 am

Not there yet, but Please sign in dam of Cry and Catch Me, G1 winner, and Cartier 2 year old horse of the year Certify.

From the family of Habitat, and Shiklah, and Suave Dancer, arc winner.

Probably more coming back in this family.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:49 am

In no particular order:

Pocahontas (Glencoe--Marpessa). Dam of three great sire sons in Stockwell, Rataplan, and King Tom; also had significant influence through her daughters.

Selene (Chaucer--Serenissima). Dam of Hyperion, Sickle, Pharamond II, and Hunter's Moon, all notable sires. Her daughter All Moonshine founded a family that includes the great Australasian sire Sir Tristram.

La Troienne (Teddy--Helene de Troie). The greatest foundation mare in American racing history; dam of five stakes winners, two of them champions. Most of her long-term influence has been through her daughters, but her son Bimelech was a useful sire as well.

Frizette (Hamburg--Ondulee). The dam of five stakes winners and foundation mare for Marcel Boussac's great breeding program. Seattle Slew and Mr. Prospector are just two of her many illustrious descendants.

Rough Shod II (Gold Bridge--Dalmary). A remarkable broodmare in her own day whose influence continues. Her family has been a noted source of stallions.

Missy Baba (My Babu--Uvira II). A very good broodmare on her own production record. Dam of a leading sire (Raja Baba) and a Broodmare of the Year (Toll Booth) and ancestress of one of the most prolific and remarkable American families of the modern era, which includes another Broodmare of the Year in her great-granddaughter Weekend Surprise.

Courtly Dee (Never Bend--Tulle). Dam of eight stakes winners, including champion Althea; granddam of Green Desert, who has founded his own branch of Northern Dancer/Danzig in Europe. Her family is breeding on extremely well and includes recent Haskell winner Bayern.

Urban Sea (Miswaki--Allegretta). Dam of eight stakes winners, including Derby Stakes (Eng-I) winners Galileo and Sea the Stars. Galileo is the top sire in the world at this time and Sea the Stars is off to an excellent start at stud; Urban Sea's daughters are also breeding on well. Through her stakes-placed daughter Cherry Hinton, Urban Sea is the granddam of 2014 Irish Oaks (Ire-I) winner Bracelet.

Hasili (Kahyasi--Kerali). Dam of seven stakes winners, all of graded/group class, five G1 winners, three champions and a divisional highweight in England. Truly remarkable. Her son Dansili was leading sire in France in 2006.

Lady Josephine (Sundridge--Americus Girl). Dam of two extremely talented fillies in Mumtaz Mahal and Lady Juror, both important foundation mares in their own rights. Ancestress of Nasrullah, Fair Trial, Mahmoud, Royal Charger, Aristophanes, Kalamoun, and Prince Taj.

As others have said, choosing a top 10 is extremely difficult and very subjective.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:02 pm

Which one would be the best one ever?

Keith
Grade III Winner

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm

La Troienne probably be the best ever as she is so influential in so many bloodlines

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 pm

I'd have to go back to Pocahontas for that one. She was such a powerful influence that she became the only mare included in Colonel Vuilliers' original dosage system.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis