conformation

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

PhantomMask
Newborn

conformation

Postby PhantomMask » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 am

Hi...I am new to the forum, but I have a question. A week ago, I saw an interview with Shared Belief's trainer. He stated that Shared Belief was the best balanced horse he has ever seen. I guess I thought "balance" referred to the horse being equal in neck, back and rump area. It must mean something more. Can anyone tell me "what does well balanced mean"? Thank you.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: conformation

Postby Cree » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I thought Hollendorfer said that in regards to when SB was running - as in, he has good balance physically when he is flying at high speeds.
Or, if he means the other balance, he could mean the horse is conformed correctly with good balance and angles between joints, body parts, etc. He is not too long in the neck or back, or too short coupled, etc.
Whatever he means, the horse is a running freak.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Re: conformation

Postby LB » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:32 am

A horse that's well balanced is able to use all his parts in harmony with each other. That leads to an efficiency of movement that's very useful in a racehorse. It also contributes to soundness because (in theory) the entire horse bears the burden of stress equally. Good balance is one of the first thing horseman look for when selecting prospects for the track.