Hey, BC! Is Anybody Listening?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Hey, BC! Is Anybody Listening?

Postby Patuxet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 am

In an interview with Steve Haskin in the Blood-Horse trainer Jimmy Jerkens, explaining Wicked Strong's pass on the BC Classic, said:

"I think it’s unfair to have the Breeders’ Cup out there every year. The Californians always have the best shot. How are you going to beat them going across the country from cool to hot weather?"

Jerkens' opinion is undoubtedly shared by a host of horsemen, especially Europeans who in addition have to contend with a very long haul to get there. With end of season Gr. I purses on the rise overseas how much longer can the powers that be at BC get away with their lopsided assignment process and refer to it as "world championships"?
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Hey, BC! Is Anybody Listening?

Postby Cree » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 pm

I dispute this complaint. I think if he thought his 2 colts had a chance to win, he would send them. I don't think the track can be blamed.

After this year, the BC will have been held the last 3 years at Santa Anita. Before that, 2 times at Churchill. Before that, 2 years at Oak Tree (Santa Anita).

Looking at the dirt races-->
2013 Classic was won by Mucho Macho Man, who was not based at SA, but seemed to thrive on the track.
2012 was won by Fort Larned, also not based at SA.

2013 Sprint was won by Secret Circle, who may have benefitted from the track, but also is kind of an Autumn Freak.
2012 was won by Trinniberg - not based at SA.

The Filly & Mare's Sprint the last 2 years was won by Groupie Doll - not based at SA.

2013 Dirt Mile was won by Goldencents, who I don't think would've lost to anyone that day, anywhere.
2012 Tapizar might have benefitted from the track, but he wasn't actually based at SA.

The Distaff last year was won by Beholder, who arguably has benefitted from that track in the Distaff of '13 and the Juv Fillies of '12.
Royal Delta won the 2012 Distaff, regardless of whether she "benefitted" from that track, she was THE BEST MARE that year.

Ria Antonia was not a SA-based horse when she won the Juv Fillies. She's A Tiger actually beat her, and was DQ'd, was a SA-based filly. They are just proof of how bad this crop is.

2013 Juvenile was won by New Years Day, based at SA. I don't think the track benefitted him. I just think that race was terrible.
2012 winner was Shanghai Bobby - not based at SA.

As for the TURF races last year.... The Euros dominated last year! Only Mizdirection and Wise Dan are from North America. I honestly think the only horse in 2012 and 2013 that benefitted from SA, was Mizdirection, who LOVED that downhill course.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:46 am

I've got a crate of sour grapes here if he wants them...
Edited by Moderator

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:03 am

I was quite happy to see that the BC will be going to Keeneland next year. I, too, have been very turned off by the intense concentration, the last few years, of BC's in California. Out of interest, I researched BC locations. Since its inception there have been 29 Breeder's cup championships, of which 10 were in California. There were 6 in New York/New Jersey, 6 in KY and 3 in Florida. Once in Canada at Woodbine, once in Texas, Illinois, etc.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Barbaro06
Grade I Winner

Postby Barbaro06 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:40 pm

I find it incredibly boring to have it held at the same venue for back to back years. I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and watched the BC. I love the sport, but the BC has lost its charm and attraction to me.
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 pm

I'm glad to see it going to Keeneland. I'm not sure why Santa Anita has been so dominant. I understood when the track was artificial, they were trying to attract more Euros. I have to say, though, I have an affection for Del Mar and am looking forward to it being held there also.