Famous Racehorses in the 20th Century

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

MattieCat
Yearling

Famous Racehorses in the 20th Century

Postby MattieCat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:39 am

I am looking for a list of horses who were legends of the 20th century. Can you guys help list some of our past legends?
Seabiscuit
Man O' War
Secretariat

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Famous Racehorses in the 20th Century

Postby Cree » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:04 am

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Bold Forbes?

There is a great racehorse that has really been forgotten as far as being ranked with the top racehorses of all times. I don't think that I saw him on either list on Cree's post (Not Cree's fault. He didn't make either list up).

Bold Forbes won the Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes in 1976, and could have won the triple crown, except that he got into a speed dual with Honest Pleasure in the Preakness, which killed the chances of either horse winning, but Bold Forbes still managed to finish 3rd.

Bold Forbes never finished out of the money in 18 career starts winning 13 races including the Wood Memorial and a bunch of other stakes races along with his Derby and Belmont Stakes win. I think that he gets overlooked partly because there were so many great horses around the same time (Secretariat, Forego, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Spectacular Bid. etc.).

Anyway, Bold Forbes was one great racehorse as far as I am concerned.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Spectacular Bid..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:51 pm

If you'd like to look at the histories of some of these horses, check out my new website at http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com. I'm still adding content (and will be doing so for quite some time), but I think I can certainly do better than the average Wikipedia article! Each of my "Horse Library" articles has info about the horse's race record, individual characteristics, connections, pedigree, and family connections. I've also got a blog ("Hoofprints") and plan to put up some basic articles on various breeding topics in the near future. Come check it out!
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Mahubah: Thank you so very much, it's a great site. I bookmarked it, I will visit frequently. Happy Thanksgiving Day, and have a wonderful day in the company of your loving family.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 am

Glad you're enjoying it! Please pass the word to any of your friends who might be interested. By the way, there will be a regular Friday trivia challenge posted in "Hoofbeats" -- answers can be found in the Library.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Are you going to do a section on notable mares? I worked with a son of Bold Biddder who was out of Frimhana excellent minded stallion.
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:34 pm

I intend to add profiles on notable producers as well, yes.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Great Site Mahubah. Thanks for pointing your website out to us. Looking forward to reading more profiles.

Shergar

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am

I agree with Shergar, great website and a treasure for pedigree fanatics like me.
All the best, Margreet
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks! If you're enjoying the site, please pass the word to any of your friends who might like it and perhaps don't post on this forum.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:16 pm

My apologies for being late with the Friday trivia challenge -- I was hosting a sleepover birthday party for my daughter and that drove everything else out of my mind. Anyway, the trivia question is now posted in the "Hoofbeats" blog at www.americanclassicpedigrees.com. The answer can be found by researching the Library and will be posted on Monday. Happy hunting!

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Mahmoud, Princequillo, and several mares from the La Troienne tribe, including the grand matriarch herself, are in now.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm

The Friday trivia challenge is up on the "Hoofprints" blog at www.americanclassicpedigrees.com. As always, the answer can be found in the "Library" section.