PedigreeQuery Is Not Keeping Up to Date

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

PedigreeQuery Is Not Keeping Up to Date

Postby Worksoplad » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Why are we paying $100 a year for this out of date con job? This is a quote from Bill Lathrop's "Modern Conduit Mares" site. Bill Lathrop just announced his retirement but he says someone is carrying on the updating of the profiles.

"Someone is messing with the Pedigree Query site. Simon's Shoes is from Family 5h. Pedigree Query has been a disappointment to me, since none of the updates or changes that I have sent to them have been added for at least 3 years (maybe 4 years). Many of the profiles listed on the site are incorrect."
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:56 am

I have sent an email to the two "site gods," hopefully they can get things updated.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

pistol
Weanling

Postby pistol » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:20 am

I've also notice that Bold Ruckus chef status has not been updated on the site.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:07 am

I'll pass that along too... any other chefs not updated?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:02 am

While we're complaining, what about the fact that there seems to be no one or no service updating race records and earnings? At least for major stallions? I do my part when I get past performances, but that's a drop in the bucket. And we ARE paying for this.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 am

I think G.W. Smith has said none of the GSV scores have been updated in years either. I'm a paying subscriber and not only are the lack of updates frustrating, but I couldn't even enter a filly I purchased because of a glitch in the system.

Lucy did what she could, but these issues shouldn't be as prominent for a pay site.

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:58 am

Couple short notes on this.

- Bold Ruckus chef status has been updated....are there any other chefs that need to be fixed? Small fixes like this can be dealt with pretty easily.

- I promise you that this whole site (and the forum software too) is due for a major upgrade very soon. This site's last major update was almost 5 years ago. Switching and upgrading this site will be a major process that will take the better part of 2 months I think, but we'll be a lot better off for it.

- I'll get in touch with Bill Lathrop to fix and update his triad scores and ratings. That should be fairly easy to deal with. GSV scores are out of date and I'm not sure that we'll be able to update those....in fact, we may have to remove them at some point.

- Lets use this thread to air out our dirty laundy and get ideas for areas where we can improve and or fix up the site and also see if we can improve the service as a whole. I'm ready for you guys to tar and feather us, since I know in many ways we deserve it.

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks Travis. No tarring or feathering here, but this is my honest take. For me, the true value of the site lies in the forums. The pedigree data is nice, but since it does not link up with the Jockey Club or with actual race data, I don't trust the info 100%. I find it useful if I want a quick look to see if a mares has produced any horses, say, but if I want detailed info regarding how many or how successful they were, I just don't completely trust the info I get from pedigreequery. So I am currently not a subscriber to this site, and if I were to become one, I would see my payment acting more as a donation to keep the forums running, rather than payment for a pedigree data service. Because for that service, I need accurate data, and frankly, there are better, more reliable places for me to get that data.

Edited to add: That said, I really do appreciate the effort put in to keep this site running. I would imagine that it can be a thankless job, so I will take the time to say thank you. Thank You.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:59 am

The one thing I get here & always want to see - Female Family numbers.

And I'd like Bill's conduit mare information to be kept up to date.

Those are my priorities, although it would be nice for the other updating to be more automatic & accurate.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:19 pm

UmmYeah wrote:Thanks Travis. No tarring or feathering here, but this is my honest take. For me, the true value of the site lies in the forums. The pedigree data is nice, but since it does not link up with the Jockey Club or with actual race data, I don't trust the info 100%. I find it useful if I want a quick look to see if a mares has produced any horses, say, but if I want detailed info regarding how many or how successful they were, I just don't completely trust the info I get from pedigreequery. So I am currently not a subscriber to this site, and if I were to become one, I would see my payment acting more as a donation to keep the forums running, rather than payment for a pedigree data service. Because for that service, I need accurate data, and frankly, there are better, more reliable places for me to get that data.

Edited to add: That said, I really do appreciate the effort put in to keep this site running. I would imagine that it can be a thankless job, so I will take the time to say thank you. Thank You.

UmmYeah said everything I would have. And I echo his thanks as well.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:34 pm

making a user/log in system for those who are updating info.. and seriously the person posting "RIP sweet friend" for a ton of horses can also stop.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:40 pm

KBEquine wrote:The one thing I get here & always want to see - Female Family numbers.

Those are already in place, but only subscribers can see them. :)

Travis, do you know if anyone on that end is monitoring the research group's e-mail list? There have been several issues brought up - including a couple of nasty recurring DB glitches (such as the one ASB mentions) - that have not gotten any sort of response.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks so much for joining in this thread, Travis! :D

I have "stickied" it so it will stay front and center.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:51 pm

I hope you won't get rid of the GSV scores. I would think that you could figure out how to update them. I think they are a useful tool, along with Bill's conduit mare scores.
I would also update the "help" feature to explain what everything is on the pulldown menu, such as the difference between "linebreeding" and "inbreeding," and what "equivalents" are and how someone researching a pedigree might use that information. When I first started using the site, and I am a paid subscriber, I found it confusing and had to ask many questions on the forum, some of which got answered and some not.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 am

I'm still peeved that whenever I pull up Thong for her pedigree, I get a title that reads "Thong Swimsuits and Underwear." :)

That's been going on for months, I've raised it, and it's still not fixed.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire