Claimed or Not

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Claimed or Not

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:19 pm

A colt name Sky Heart finished 2nd in a $30,000. maiden claiming race today at Santa Anita. Shortly after the race, I looked at the result chart and it said that Sky Heart had been claimed by trainer Keith Desormeaux (Kent's brother) for the $30,000. claiming price. Later, I looked again at the chart, and there was not a claim made in the race.

So, what happened? Was the claim rescinded by Desormeaux? Is this something that happens sometimes? Horses are claimed and then the claimant changes his mind? Anyone know what happened here?
Shawklit Won.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Claimed or Not

Postby docjocoy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:32 pm

The claim was voided by the vet. They do this in Calif. Horse has to be sound in order to be claimed so this horse goes back to his original barn.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Thank you very much. I never thought of that.

I had a feeling that Sky Heart would be claimed in that race. He previously had been in races for $80,000., $75,000., and $62.500., so when I saw that he was in for $30,000., I was pretty sure that someone would try to claim him. That was a pretty fast race at 1:03 and change for 5.5 furlongs.

Anyway, I hope that there isn't anything seriously wrong with Sky Heart.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:48 pm

I guess that there is nothing seriously wrong with Sky Heart. I noticed that he had a workout at Santa Anita today, so he will probably be racing again soon.

Santa Anita and Del Mar are tough places to win a maiden race at. Sky Heart probably would have won one already if he raced just about anywhere else, maybe even a straight maiden race (MSW). Maybe a good plan would be to take him up north to Golden Gate Fields or Bay Meadows or someplace like that and start him over in MSW races. I don't think that his barn races outside of Southern California very often though unless they have a horse in a big stakes race or something like that.

Anyway, glad that Sky Heart is all right. Hope that he wins one soon.
Shawklit Won.