CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED TO PROTECT FUTURE OF THE BRITISH STAYER

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED TO PROTECT FUTURE OF THE BRITISH STAYER

Postby Patuxet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 am

Finally, a national recognition that the staying Thoroughbred is an endangered species, something long overdue in this country. The embedded video is especially telling; note the reference to Seattle Slew.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... sh-stayer/
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED TO PROTECT FUTURE OF THE BRITISH STAYE

Postby wilf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Just watched the video as well. At last the nonsense of the six furlong madness is being addressed. I realise that some of the long races offered at the cheaper levels in the mid west are often a boat race but at least they are on offer and sometimes they are great battles.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Great article & video. Thanks for posting the link. I'm not inclined to put much stock in the remarks about "Seattle Slew line" mares losing their stamina due to being bred to "speedier families". Genotypically, aptitude isn't dictated by "lines" or "families". It's determined by the individual sire and the individual dam and their genetic contribution can vary considerably between foals, as I'm sure you know. Slew may not have been the singular stamina source for his daus. that the lady in the video seems to suppose.

I sincerely hope they're able to reverse the trend and keep more elite stayers in the UK (might help if all concerned understood that to breed elite stamina one must consider the individuals rather than the "lines" and "families"). It would be great to see something similar happen here, beginning with returning the JCGC to 2mi. But I'm not holding my breath. :wink:

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:28 am

Yes, of course the Seattle Slew comment is pure “sire line” bunk, more voodoo genetics, but I found it interesting that an American sire was referenced in the discussion.

In addition to restoring the JCGC to two miles, I want to see the Coaching Club American Oaks once again contested at twelve furlongs. As the equivalent of the Belmont Stakes, it served as a traditional benchmark for assessing the broodmare worth of its participants.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:23 am

As a footnote to this thread....

The final race on Sunday at Oaklawn Park, following the running of the Arkansas Derby was for quite a distance, I'm recalling 1 & 3/4 mile but am not sure....I was surprised and pleased to see such a race on the card.

Also surprised as I began some belated handicapping on Friday, the day before the Derby, when I realized that almost the entire day's card for the Apple Blossom Festival Racing was at being contested in race after race at 6 furlongs..

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am

[quote="jellac"]As a footnote to this thread....

The final race on Sunday at Oaklawn Park, following the running of the Arkansas Derby was for quite a distance, I'm recalling 1 & 3/4 mile
[/quote]

... as is the case every year.