Whiskey Ticket

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Whiskey Ticket

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Bob Baffert sure has his share of very good 3 year old horses this year. Another new winner for him today is Whiskey Ticket, son of Ghostzapper. Whiskey Ticket won a maiden race today at Santa Anita at a mile in 1:36:13. But it wasn't just the time that was impressive. Whiskey Ticket had a dual down the stretch with another horse that pulled ahead of him for awhile, but Whiskey Ticket came back and won the race by about a neck.

Also, Whiskey Ticket was the only first time starter in the race. The others in the MSW race all had previous races. I am sure that it is too late for WT to be a Kentucky Derby horse, but if he stays healthy, I can see graded stakes wins in his future.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Whiskey Ticket

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Whiskey Ticket is entered in the 400K Illinois Derby Saturday at Hawthorne. That would be a good one for him to win.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Whiskey Ticket won the 400K Illinois Derby today. I don't know if that would qualify him for the Kentucky Derby or not, but even if it does, the Kentucky Derby is only two weeks away, so I doubt that we will see him in it.
Shawklit Won.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:49 pm

No, it wouldn't qualify him for the Kentucky Derby. The race doesn't carry any Derby points.

The decision not to assign any Derby qualifying points to this race was controversial when the points system was initiated.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:14 pm

geowarrior wrote:No, it wouldn't qualify him for the Kentucky Derby. The race doesn't carry any Derby points.

The decision not to assign any Derby qualifying points to this race was controversial when the points system was initiated.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really expect him to run in the Derby, but just wondered if he could. Probably better for him that he isn't. WT looks to have a pretty bright future with only two races and already being a graded stakes winner.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:13 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
geowarrior wrote:No, it wouldn't qualify him for the Kentucky Derby. The race doesn't carry any Derby points.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really expect him to run in the Derby, but just wondered if he could. Probably better for him that he isn't. WT looks to have a pretty bright future with only two races and already being a graded stakes winner.

I'd agree. With the Kentucky Derby out of his picture, Whiskey Ticket should get the chance to develop at his own pace. Derby Fever has ruined a lot of potentially nice colts.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 am

Yes, Whiskey Ticket could have a bright Midsummer future. I would not be surprised to see Conquest Curlinate heading to the Preakness or Belmont, however.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:18 am

Yes, and I would not be surprised to see some of these good horses that missed out on the Derby show up in races like the Peter Pam Stakes.
Last edited by Shawklit Won on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawklit Won.