Parx has banned shock-wave therapy

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Parx has banned shock-wave therapy

Postby Cree » Thu May 28, 2015 4:43 am

I don't have a DRF account, so I can't read the details. Wondering what this is all about? If anyone can share, that would be great.
I've noticed shock wave therapy is used on horses in CA, many on the CHRB vets list. Is this something on the rise? Why is it used?

TJ
Darley line

Re: Parx has banned shock-wave therapy

Postby TJ » Thu May 28, 2015 5:18 am

Cree wrote:I don't have a DRF account, so I can't read the details. Wondering what this is all about? If anyone can share, that would be great.
I've noticed shock wave therapy is used on horses in CA, many on the CHRB vets list. Is this something on the rise? Why is it used?

Hi Cree,
This is a house rule recently instituted at Parx. This is not new, it's been in use at least ten years....could be more. Extracorporeal shockwave therapy is a very useful treatment in speeding healing in tendon or ligament injuries. The problem is, it has an analgesic effect shortly after treatment, that actually deadens pain and practically eliminates all swelling from the problem area after one treatment. Race jurisdictions began at first limiting (and still on going) the time period a horse was allowed to race after receiving ESWT due to the analgesic and immediate effect it had in normalizing the tendon and ligament swelling. Though if used accordingly, it is a great healing treatment for these ills, but a great tool for cheaters, as it can also be used to cover up the ailment totally and get the horse past the state vet and into a race in hopes that horse would be claimed. They were sneaking horses out at Parx and hitting them with shockwave therapy and would look fine for the race. They also banned the physical machine from being on the grounds, as well as a banning Vets from doing these treatments or possessing the machine. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: Parx has banned shock-wave therapy

Postby Cree » Thu May 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks TJ. I was unclear of the protocol of the procedure. CHRB puts them on the Vets List, so that would give them a wait time before able to enter a horse, and hopefully cut back on abuse.