Favorite camera shots during a race....

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Jorge

Favorite camera shots during a race....

Postby Jorge » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:27 am

I think that the most neat, vibrant and exciting camera shot during a race is the one that moves simultaneously with the horses, while shooting from an upward parallel on the outside rail. I know this shot requires a moving cart or vehicle but I always wonder why they don't use it more extensively on Thoroughbred races. I also think that this shot would be great if applied on the turns too (which I haven't seen yet). Would like to read opinions on your favorite shots.

Also, I noticed during the Olympics that they projected some sort of light beam to proclaim the finish line on the ground, especially during the swimming events. Wow imagine such a treatment for the finish line of a race.

Thanks for your comments.

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:29 am

Jorge, the lines on the ground in football or those flags in the lane at the Olympics are generated by a piece of television technology that lays them over the live footage. It does help the viewers see the finer points of what is going on.

Perhaps the conservative approach taken by the track camera crew has two do with two things (well, three, don't forget laziness or inertia) - one is their budget, and the second is the inherent traditionalism of their audience of gamblers, who want to see races shown the same way from track to track. At Dubai they had a bigger budget, and I recall the races being covered in a more interesting way.

I would love to hop on a camera truck and shoot races while being driven alongside! You would be able to see so much better, and to record how loud it is - I am always amazed by the amount of creaking noise that comes from a pack of galloping race horses, and their loud breathing, not to mention the kissing noises the jockeys make and the stinging slap of the whip.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:01 am

Monicabee

The filmakers atteneded to that noise in the Seabisuit movie, didn't they. That is an awsome sound and volume, eh? Something I wouldn't have been as aware of myself until the movie, not having raced in a large "pack" like that.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:09 pm

Jorge

There was at least one television camera inside the second turn at rail-level...aimed at the approaching horses (prior to their clockwise turn for home) during the arc (this past weekend).

The camera did not move, but one could sense the power and speed as horses approached and raced by. I have not seen such a camera location or technique used on U.S. programming.

It was quite compelling and attention-getting.

Best

Respectfully

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:46 pm

Dear FOS,

Thank you very much fo0r your opinion. Hmm, that inside shot sounds interesting. Unfortunately I didn't watched the Arc, a race in which I was expecting a good performance by the grays.

As per a camera running alongside the horses (but at the outer rail), I would like to see the entire race being filmed that way. I do not favor when different cameras begin taking different views from the inside and outside including the blimp aerial ones because some views may prove misleading as per the real distance remaining in the race.

Certainly the views that run alongside the horses are great. Just an opinion.