Wallydabally

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: Wallydabally

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Yeah, just heard from Finger lakes trainer who sid they feel it's time to retire him . . .they'll look for a good safe home for him. I've asked for more details.
Relieved and disappointed in equal measure.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Toccet,
Sorry to hear that...but there's no sense spinning his wheels anymore. Hopefully they will find him a good home. TJ

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:06 am

There's always disappointment when they don't succeed in their first job but there's no shame in seeing them become successful in another discipline. I retired my first one because he would have always been prone to issues with his knees and I didn't want to wreck his chances at having a job of some sort. He's now in a great place a few miles from me and was actually ridden last year at age four by a six year old... so it is rewarding to see him competing in hunter/jumpers even if it's not what I'd envisioned. And yes FWIW I actually did ride him a handful of times but he was just too big for me and I could never quite figure out how to do up the girth on a western saddle :lol:

Hopefully wherever Wally goes they'll keep you up to date.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Got more info . . .he had off and on knee issues, and they feel he'd be much happier in another career. I did feel he wan't loving the race life . . . so that's wise.
I've saked to be in the loop about where he ends up. Here's a newbie owner question: If he's sold to somoene for the typical $500-$2,000 I see OTTBs go for, as part owner, do I get a piece of that? Or do partnership owners usually just let it go to the peson who did the actual selling work?

----Arrested Development

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:49 am

I'm also disappointed to hear that Wally is done with racing, but I'm glad that they want to do right by him. I hope he finds a top notch home and enjoys his next career, whatever that may be.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:47 am

My .02, if you can just get out altogether now with "no future expenses" then you won't have to bear the costs of feeding/vet until he's sold. He might need some down time before he's offered and he may need to undergo some retraining (at maybe 30 an hour) before he could be offered for sale so even though 2K might seem like a good amount you're still bearing expenses until that happens.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:33 pm

I hadn't thought of that. It seems like between the lines, they expect partner involvement to be done...but as you say, if I want a piece of sale price I may have to pay for retraining.
Thanks...

----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Toccet,
The retired Finger Lakes claimer's usually sell inexpensively unless they are totally sound and retired before injury. The only issue I would be concerned with is that the papers are stamped "not for racing purposes"... so Wally doesn't end up in $1,500 claimers somewhere else. Other than that, Toccet's advice is solid..."just get out altogether now with "no future expenses" and stop the bleeding. It's not easy finding a buyer for these horses and it will be worth turning over the proceeds to the person willing to find him a good home in a new venue.
That being said, there is an organization FLF, Finger Lakes Finest TB's who try to re-home these retired racer's but they are usually loaded with horses on the site (with asking prices listed) and it makes selling the retired racer a competitive and time consuming endeavor. I'm sure your trainer can get Wally on the list if you prefer to handle Wally's sale together with you and the other partners bearing the expense till he's sold. TJ
( http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/category/available/ )

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 am

I greatly appreciate it everybody. As I mentioned before, a ongoing e-mail chat about the horses we own as partners no longer exists, due to some partners "not wanting to be bothered", so I can't really see where people's heads are at. But I can chat with FG trainer and see what the plans are.

----Arrested Development

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:36 pm

That's because horses are a business and if the horse can't race most want them 'gone'. That's not to mean they won't help do the right thing but if you can get him placed in a program, even for free, that eliminates the overhead and helps to make sure he is in the best possible hands. I spent way more after mine retired to make sure he was placed with the best possible person but I was also his breeder and as such that is/was my responsibility. Same with my two year old who will hopefully go on to be a successful racehorse and actually make me some money for a change :lol: but the reality is most want out as soon as the chances of them racing are gone.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Finger Lakes Finest is a free listing service similar to the organization Canter that I volunteer for. There is no need for retraining, people expect to buy them directly out of racing. It is getting close to the time of year that trainers will begin looking for next year's Retired Racehorse Project mounts which will boost the market for retirees. The horses that sell best are clean legged, 16.0-16.3h, geldings. Ones with a large build and heavy bone structure command the highest price because they can compete with warmbloods on the rated show circuit.
Stamping "retired from racing" on papers is not sufficient since replacement papers are easily ordered. There is a form available through the jockey club that officially retires them from racing and makes it impossible for that horse to even enter the backside of a racetrack. The form has to be notarized and along with the original papers need to be mailed into the JC and they will mail back new retired from racing papers. With cheap no-name pedigrees it's less necessary but with well pedigreed or expensive sale horses it's a little more important because bottom level trainers think they will be able to capitalize off getting an expensive horse cheap. Most trainers do not know that the retired from racing program even exists so it is widely underutilized.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:30 am

CherryDavis wrote:Finger Lakes Finest is a free listing service similar to the organization Canter that I volunteer for. There is no need for retraining, people expect to buy them directly out of racing. It is getting close to the time of year that trainers will begin looking for next year's Retired Racehorse Project mounts which will boost the market for retirees. The horses that sell best are clean legged, 16.0-16.3h, geldings. Ones with a large build and heavy bone structure command the highest price because they can compete with warmbloods on the rated show circuit.
Stamping "retired from racing" on papers is not sufficient since replacement papers are easily ordered. There is a form available through the jockey club that officially retires them from racing and makes it impossible for that horse to even enter the backside of a racetrack. The form has to be notarized and along with the original papers need to be mailed into the JC and they will mail back new retired from racing papers. With cheap no-name pedigrees it's less necessary but with well pedigreed or expensive sale horses it's a little more important because bottom level trainers think they will be able to capitalize off getting an expensive horse cheap. Most trainers do not know that the retired from racing program even exists so it is widely underutilized.

Hi CherryDavis,
Thanks for the correction concerning the foal papers. Here is the link to the JC rule if Toccet would like to follow up on this. TJ
http://www.jockeyclub.com/Default.asp?s ... &story=608

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks for adding the link! It is WAY better than the old solution which was that the JC would de-register them making them officially no longer recognized as Thoroughbreds. I wish the JC would promote it a little better.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:36 pm

CherryDavis wrote:Stamping "retired from racing" on papers is not sufficient since replacement papers are easily ordered. There is a form available through the jockey club that officially retires them from racing and makes it impossible for that horse to even enter the backside of a racetrack. The form has to be notarized and along with the original papers need to be mailed into the JC and they will mail back new retired from racing papers. With cheap no-name pedigrees it's less necessary but with well pedigreed or expensive sale horses it's a little more important because bottom level trainers think they will be able to capitalize off getting an expensive horse cheap. Most trainers do not know that the retired from racing program even exists so it is widely underutilized.

I did that as the owner/breeder because it was the right thing to do. Had the form notarized, wrote on his papers, sent them back to the JC and he's no longer registered, period.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:43 pm

I hope that the Retired from Racing status with the Jockey Club does not interfere with the TIP program where ottb's earn money for being the best in class at participating horse shows?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....