Female family numbers

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Female family numbers

Postby vineyridge » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm

They used to be in the free information at the top of the page on pedigrees. Now my browser doesn't show them.

Is that I am still using XP, or has PQ removed that bit of free information?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Female family numbers

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 pm

They're not showing up right now in any browser or OS version that I've tried.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:28 pm

I hope that useful feature is finally being updated to incorporate the multiple pedigree anomalies revealed by Dr. Emmeline Hill's mitochondrial DNA research project at Trinity College, Ireland. Those findings were published 15 years ago in "Animal Genetics" under the title of "History and Integrity of Thoroughbred Dam Lines Revealed in Equine mtDNA Variation." I've yet to see the study's findings utilized to create a single, cogent reorganization of the Bruce Lowe female families. If such exists, I'd appreciate a link to it.

ahr
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Patuxet wrote:I hope that useful feature is finally being updated to incorporate the multiple pedigree anomalies revealed by Dr. Emmeline Hill's mitochondrial DNA research project at Trinity College, Ireland. Those findings were published 15 years ago in "Animal Genetics" under the title of "History and Integrity of Thoroughbred Dam Lines Revealed in Equine mtDNA Variation." I've yet to see the study's findings utilized to create a single, cogent reorganization of the Bruce Lowe female families. If such exists, I'd appreciate a link to it.

ahr

I hope that up-to-date mtDNA results will eventually be added here too. Hill's findings were based upon analysis of a tiny fragment of the mitochondrial genome. That was acceptable when they published (2002) but has since been recognized as woefully insufficient to adequately define haplotypes. What they classed as a single haplotype ("F") is actually 5 different haplotypes. Etc.

See this thread including the most recent post on page 2. The info mentioned there that should be out this year will bring the record of the TB female families into far more precise focus than any previously published TB mtDNA report. And I'll bet that you're going to find that error in 23-b does indeed go all the way back to Lizzie G. :wink:

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks, PZ, for directing me to that excellent thread. Its content far exceeded its genesis which, prompted by a personal prejudice, I'd too hastily dismissed out of hand.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V