"JRD"?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

"JRD"?

Postby Heidilady » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Okay I keep forgetting to ask and I saw it awhile back. Who or what is JRD?
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Re: "JRD"?

Postby Heidilady » Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Okay I'm bumping this to both ask it again since whomever's doing it apparently doesn't want to fess up and because it's gotten on my nerves again. :x What's JRD? Seems like someone is making changes and signing it with their initials. They don't even make great changes when they do it. I'm telling you right now, whenever I see it, I'm deleting it and re-doing the record unless someone can justify it. Nobody needs to see a calling card from you about a record adjustment or addition. It doesn't seem to be any abbreviation I'm aware of. I feel like if it was something obvious and reasonable and I'd feel stupid for not knowing, someone would've said by now. Besides, it'd also be done consistently across the website.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri May 05, 2017 12:23 pm

It would be helpful if you could posted a specific example of what's annoying you.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 pm

A google site search turns up close to 3K entries w/ info in various fields followed by "(JRD)". Spot-checked the info in several entries. Everything checked out. As long as the info's correct I don't personally find the fact that the 'signature' is there to be a real problem. Anyone wishing to bring "JRD" to the attention of the site owners might want to post something in the Technical Library section of the forum.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Patuxet wrote:It would be helpful if you could posted a specific example of what's annoying you.

That's not something you can post per se unless you mean a screenshot. It's pretty much just there in the stakes race comments or in the horse's info box (someone signed JRD in the comments for the Matt Winn for instance...or they did til I took it out). When I come across it, I change it, partly because it's gonna mislead people into thinking that it stands for something and partly because it's obnoxious to sign your handiwork on a website edited by multiple people. Nobody else does that. The other day, they accidentally did a typo and it threw me because I thought that someone'd gotten the track name wrong. Then I realized what'd happened. A horse's info box is for the horse's info, not ours.

Pan Zareta wrote:A google site search turns up close to 3K entries w/ info in various fields followed by "(JRD)". Spot-checked the info in several entries. Everything checked out. As long as the info's correct I don't personally find the fact that the 'signature' is there to be a real problem. Anyone wishing to bring "JRD" to the attention of the site owners might want to post something in the Technical Library section of the forum.

I didn't know someone was being that persistent about it but it certainly seems like any stake that's on tv someone pounces to enter info. Now 'great' you might say, way to be on top of it, except they often don't enter it the standard way people have been for years. It tends to make things look less formatted across the site. We do mind format here, not just correct info, and if they also tack on a bunch of not typically included stuff, some things look less standard. If people don't know how to do it right, or don't want to, they need to not do it at all. We shouldn't put things that indicate our involvement on an edit because it's not about us. The only stuff that people should see on there should be particularly related to that horse. 'Oh JRD edited this record, well I know it's legit' said no one ever. If that mattered, well we have bigger problems here relating to the accuracy of non-JRD entries.

As far as the technical library, I don't know what they can really do--fixing it record by record really seems the only solution and who'd do that? It'd take an eternity. I mean maybe someone has a way of identifying the person (can you see who's changed an entry if you have admin/mod controls?). I did try at one point to figure out from the names of members who might abbreviate to JRD but there's just too many and I'm guessing they don't have their name in their handle. If this is an abbreviation that needs to be used and has a purpose, all they have to do is say so. I wouldn't feel sheepish. I'd even help put it in when it needed to be, but since I doubt that it does, I'm gonna fix it.

horseplaya71
Newborn

Postby horseplaya71 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Totally agree Heidilady, why JRD can't format everything close to the way the rest of us do annoys the heck out of me. I'm glad somebody else noticed. I have added 35,786 horses since 2012 to this database (try to make sure every NA first time starter has an entry at least). And I had been updating the top 3 blacktype stakes for all horses but JRD has so frustrated me when he/she updates the stakes in such a sloppy manner that I've given up on that. They don't initial tracks right (PM for Prairie Meadows no that's Portland Meadows). Everybody else on this site tries to stick to a similar format but JRD's sticks out like a sore thumb.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:14 pm

horseplaya71 wrote:Totally agree Heidilady, why JRD can't format everything close to the way the rest of us do annoys the heck out of me. I'm glad somebody else noticed. I have added 35,786 horses since 2012 to this database (try to make sure every NA first time starter has an entry at least). And I had been updating the top 3 blacktype stakes for all horses but JRD has so frustrated me when he/she updates the stakes in such a sloppy manner that I've given up on that. They don't initial tracks right (PM for Prairie Meadows no that's Portland Meadows). Everybody else on this site tries to stick to a similar format but JRD's sticks out like a sore thumb.

Exactly! It's gotten to be sloppy. Guess what though, I've discovered a JRD copycat. Someone called "DFD." At least they just sign the info box while JRD does the stakes entries too. I've taken to trying to keep up with the televised races so I can kinda guess what JRD's gonna try to edit so I can undo the mistakes. I did a search and DFD's done it 641 times. I haven't gone through them enough to know if they're as haphazard as JRD. It's ridiculous and egotistical and it needs to stop. Edits need to be correct and clear. Abbreviations need to be done properly or not at all. The ones people see shouldn't have anything to do with any of us.

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:27 am

I just found this thread and have a bit of info for everyone. JRD stands for the initials of someone who has been adding stakes data to the database for about 5 years now. I have been in touch with this person and encouraged her to post in here so you guys can discuss.

Pan Zareta wrote:As long as the info's correct I don't personally find the fact that the 'signature' is there to be a real problem.

Personally I tend to agree with this, although I do understand the desire to have uniform data throughout the database.

Heidilady wrote:As far as the technical library, I don't know what they can really do--fixing it record by record really seems the only solution and who'd do that? It'd take an eternity. I mean maybe someone has a way of identifying the person (can you see who's changed an entry if you have admin/mod controls?). I did try at one point to figure out from the names of members who might abbreviate to JRD but there's just too many and I'm guessing they don't have their name in their handle. If this is an abbreviation that needs to be used and has a purpose, all they have to do is say so. I wouldn't feel sheepish. I'd even help put it in when it needed to be, but since I doubt that it does, I'm gonna fix it.

As far as modifying the records, I can manually remove the "(JRD)" text from the stakes race comments relatively trivially, but any other formatting changes would be a bit more difficult to change. We don't require a login for editing stakes races so we can't actually see who is making modification, but I have had email contact with JRD over the past few years. I have contacted her to see if there are any technical reasons for adding "(JRD)" to the entries, and to see if she would mind if we removed them.