General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Checking one off the Bucket List

Postby Shergar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

It's the big one on my list.

Flying out next Thursday to Ky.

Going to hang out at Churchill Downs on the 5th and 6th of May and watch some horse racing. I hear there are a few important races happening on those two days!

Going to spend two days after the Derby checking out some of the farms. Going with my brother and he is taking care of that end of the process.

Old Friends is one of the places I have on my list of places to go. Really looking forward to visiting with Silver Charm. He was one of my favorite horses.

For my friends on PQ that have been to Ky., or live in the area, any other sites I may want to check out?

Also any good eating places in the Frankfort or Lexington, (staying in Frankfort) that might be worth a visit?

All the best,
Shergar

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Checking one off the Bucket List

Postby Joltman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Congrats Shergar- hope your trip goes well. Wifie and I may try to head over - but won't the Oaks or Derby, but Ky is always great. It won't be your last trip if you have any say in it. too bad there aren't any sales going on. If they still do 'Dawn at the Downs' - track open for morning works, well worth it.

Suggestion or two -

- Do the Derby Museum, it's worth it
- Go to Keeneland even if nothing is going on except the gift shop, go early enough to check out the horses working there if they're out. It's just a really, really nice place. So is Ky Horse Park.
- Jalapenos Mexican in Lexington - have their Jalapenos Margarita.
- A bourbon tour is worthwhile - I like Woodford.
- For a first go around, taking a bus tour (Bluegrass still do it?) is informative, and leaves the driving to others. They'll go to a couple of top farms.

have a great time, maybe I'll bump into you.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Not from the area but I'll second making stops at Keeneland and the ky horse park. Keeneland is one of my favorite places to visit even when they aren't hosting live races. My one must stop food place in Lexington is Horseshoes' grill. Not a big place but love the atmosphere and food. Just don't go over to the saloon side unless you like your live music loud. :lol:

20dourmdd
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 20dourmdd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 am

If you are going to Lexington, Ramseys is the place to go for great "FOOD" . Doesn't look like much, but anyone in horses knows of it. Sounds like a great weekend! It's on Harrodsberg Rd. There are so many things to see and do. Keeneland Racecourse.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 am

Been there.
Don't forget to just drive (carefully!) around the back roads (all the "pikes"!) and just take in the glorious stone walls and black fences...mares and foals . . .
It's stunning.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:02 pm

for sure - plan to pull over, chill out. have a beverage... dream

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Have a wonderful time and enjoy living one of your dreams, Shergar!
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 am

So envious! :mrgreen: It's on my list, too... hoping to go before I turn 50 (or, as a present to myself that year, which is not long off). I hope you have an epic experience, and would love to hear all about it when you're back! :D