REALLY old bloodlines

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Joltman
Grade I Winner

REALLY old bloodlines

Postby Joltman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Checking on the filly Withyourpermission oo Brucie. This filly's great great grand dam (Spotted Beauty '41) was by Man O War (1917). Man O War was 24 when he was bred to Silver Beauty. It was 22 years til Spotted Beauty foaled her filly Hot Gossip - '63, who foaled BRUCES BLUE LOU 21 years later in '84. Not to be outdone, Brucie was foaled at age 25. Brucie was a spritely age 7 when foaling Withyourpermission .

I find it interesting for two reasons. First, the bloodlines on the bottom side bring forward 'old blood' from arguably valuable sources much closer up. In those situations where the Jockey club is worried about the genetic pool maybe some of these other sources are helpful in diversifying the pool somewhat. (Plus it's neat having Man O War 'close up'!)

The other is simply the tendency now to believe that mares have no value after age 13 or so. These mares were just getting going. It could be a characteristic of this branch of this female family. Bruces Blue Lou had 15 foals, 4 made over $100k in the 19802-90s. There's probably soundness in there - certainly breeding soundness. Today, fillies are bred so young and the great great grand dam may still be producing.

Anyway, it's kinda fun to look at these older lines. It's too bad that the Withyourpermission has both ND and MP in there. in recent generations.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

perryT200
Weanling

Re: REALLY old bloodlines

Postby perryT200 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 pm

I think it really depends on your analysis. If you're still using anything like the old dosage system, the older the better. The numbers make sense.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: REALLY old bloodlines

Postby Joltman » Wed May 20, 2020 6:04 am

Many disregard anything more than 3 generations back - so going all the way back to Man o War makes it a little further. But if you were trying to concentrate the blood of one of the ancestors, having that one earlier progenitors closer up increases the possibility that there's some influence available to pass on. This might be important - given that the Man o War sire line is barely intact and this filly would be a good one to breed back to perhaps.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.