Thoroughbreds related to Akhal-Tekes?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Thoroughbreds related to Akhal-Tekes?

Postby skeenan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Interesting!! :D

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-66232-1?fbclid=IwAR3Wm43WEfgun-Cf9TWEH8ThF8AGrXL1d0TdcoBgr7AxpbwStKZ7E1FjE-k

Also, contrary to popular belief, we could detect no significant genomic contribution of the Arabian breed to the Thoroughbred racehorse, including Y chromosome ancestry. However, we found strong evidence for recent interbreeding of Thoroughbreds with Arabians used for flat-racing competitions.

Finally, we identified undocumented relationships between the Thoroughbred breed and the modern Arabian that are contrary to breed registry regulations and dispute long-held myths. Although celebrated in many historical accounts20,36, the three “Arabian” sires recorded as the main male founders of the Thoroughbred breed (the “Darley Arabian”, “Godolphin Arabian” and “Byerley Turk”) were likely individuals of other Oriental horse populations, and the Arabian breed appears to have contributed little to the autosomal genomic content of the modern Thoroughbred (Fig. 3).

madelyn

Re: Thoroughbreds related to Akhal-Tekes?

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:38 am

There is a lot of physical similarity between the TB and the Akhal Teke. Also it would be a source of the "color" genes. Course it could have been some Akhal Teke foundation mares in there.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:11 am

I agree—seems obvious now, when looking at some of the more rangier Thoroughbreds.

Akhal-Tekes are so exotic and my dream horse breed. Their unique coats are amazing! I would love to own one if I lived somewhere other than wintery New England... :D

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:47 pm

There was an article on DNA testing/research of the TB breed back when the TB Times or Record (forget which version now) was a large sort of like newspaper magazine hybrid. It was before these articles but it said the same thing. There was no appreciable Arabian blood and the oriental blood was most likely Barb and Turk horses who went on to become the Akhal Teke breed. You can see it in their conformation and sometimes you see a hint of the metallic coats on some horses and the hooded eyes the Teke's have. (Look at Afleet Alex for hooded eye)
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:49 pm

I remember when the Arabian horse associations were going to make DNA typing of all Arabs required. The biggest hue and cry came from Europe and the middle east because of course you only have to look at their racing "Arabs" to see they are at LEAST half TB. I think they made it a rule anyway but I stopped paying attention.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:17 pm

summerhorse wrote:I remember when the Arabian horse associations were going to make DNA typing of all Arabs required. The biggest hue and cry came from Europe and the middle east because of course you only have to look at their racing "Arabs" to see they are at LEAST half TB. I think they made it a rule anyway but I stopped paying attention.

Through DNA they found certain racing Arabians carried the Whalebone haplotype. https://usahr.org/thoroughbred-dna-in-racing-arabians