Hawkester

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

louis finochio
Darley line

Hawkester

Postby louis finochio » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:54 am

Is Hawkester in NeW York standing stud? I have been trying to locate him. Thanks.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:09 am

Louis,

Hawkster was sent to Japan in 1997 (I think). I've been trying to locate him as he was (at one time) at the same farm as Ferdinand.

(HAWKSTER,'86~
YUSHUN STALLION STN:
NIIKAPPU-GUN,
HOKKAIDO, JAPAN........................PRIVATE

I can find no foals born after 2001.

I wish he was in NY. I hope he is in NY! But I have serious doubts.

EXCERPT FROM A BLOOD HORSE MAGAZINE ARTICLE:
>>>Domestic farms that sell stallions overseas are increasingly inserting clauses in contracts giving them first right to buy the horse back when his stud career is finished. Nevertheless, a look at the some 200 imported stallions now standing in Japan reveals some familiar names whose covers are dangerously low, among them Colonial Affair, Criminal Type, Fraise, Hawkster, and Sunshine Forever.

One organization benefiting from the Ferdinand fiasco is Old Friends, a proposed retirement home for pensioned stallions near Midway, Ky., that is set to open next March, according to its president, Michael Blowen. "After the Ferdinand story broke, we went from getting five e-mails a day to hundreds," Blowen said. "Philip and Betty Sue Walters gave us 40 acres of their Afton Farm on a $1 per year lease for five years." <<< For the complete article, go to http://www.bloodhorse.com/2003Review/ferdinand.html

[url][/url]

louis finochio
Darley line

Hawkester

Postby louis finochio » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:15 am

Thanks for your info on Hawkester. I will ask Ron McNally tomorrow if he knows the whereabouts of Hawkester, I will post the answer.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:53 am

If you mean Hawkster, you might want to check with Ann (board member). I'm looking at a mare she and her partner own that was sired by Hawkster. Just a longshot, but she might know of his whereabouts now.
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Ann
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Ann » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:26 pm

Wished I could help out. All the info I have on Hawkster is what is listed in the 2004 stallion Directory/Register. Hawkster is listed for 2004 at Arrow Stud in Japan. I do not have a current web site for Arrow Stud, but, maybe someone here does.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:32 pm

Ann wrote:Wished I could help out. All the info I have on Hawkster is what is listed in the 2004 stallion Directory/Register. Hawkster is listed for 2004 at Arrow Stud in Japan. I do not have a current web site for Arrow Stud, but, maybe someone here does.

Are you serious? Is he really still with us? I'll find Arrow Stud's phone number. That is where Ferdinand was listed too, even after he was being reported as "disposed of" (slaughtered). So, unfortunately, it might not be accurate info. Which Stallion Directory is that?

BJ
Horse of the Year

WOW

Postby BJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:38 pm

While doing an internet search for the ARROW STUD website or contact info, I came across this article. I post it in its entirety.

>>>
The "Blood-Horse" reports Ferdinand likely slaughtered

An article published in the Blood-Horse on July 21, 2003, entitled "Death of a Derby Winner: Slaughterhouse Likely Fate for Ferdinand", has shocked the Japanese horse racing community.
As thoroughbred lovers working in the racing industry in Japan, we immediately moved to determine the veracity of this claim.

Since this came to light, the Japan Racing Association (JRA) and Japan Bloodhorse Breeder's Association (JBBA) ; which are the leaders of the Japanese horse racing industry, have begun extensive inquiries into the fate of Ferdinand.

We have not to date, be able to determine what has happened to this magnificent animal.

If the life of Ferdinand was terminated as described in the article, it is terrible happening and one that fills our hearts with sorrow and regret.

JRA has advised of the progress of their inquiries with JBBA as follows:

「The article in the Blood-Horse web-site on July 21, 2003 titled "Death of a Derby Winner : Slaughterhouse Likely Fate for Ferdinand" describes as Ferdinand, winner of 1986 Kentucky Derby and 1987 Breeders' Cup Classic, failed to succeed as a stallion in Japan and likely ended his life in slaughterhouse.

However, our research could not find such a fact. Furthermore, twenty four (24) thoroughbred horses which won the Triple Crown races and/or Breeders' Cup Championship races since 1980 have been imported into Japan as stallions, and we have confirmed twenty two (22) of which are stabled with good care in Japan or exported out of Japan. Sunday Silence deceased last year and Ferdinand is the only one who is unaccounted-for.

Situation of Imported Stallions
July 26, 2003 : JRA/JBBA
Conditions : U.S.A. Classic or Breeders' Cup winners since 1980.
No. Stallion Date of Birth Name of Race Imported Year Location Exported Year Remarks
1 Ferdinand 1983 KY Derby, BC Mile 1995 Unaccounted-for
2 Last Tycoon 1983 BC Mile 1995 SUWA Stud
3 Sunday Silence 1986 KY Derby, Preakness S, BC Classic 1990 2002 Die of an Illness
4 Black Tie Affair 1986 BC Classic 1997 EAST Stud
5 Rhythm 1987 BC Juvenile 1991 1996 (to Australia)
6 Royal Academy 1987 BC Mile 1996 1996 (to Ireland)
7 Fraise 1988 BC Turf 1995 Riding Club in Chiba Riding use
8 Kotashaan 1988 BC Turf 1994 1999 (to Ireland)
9 Arcangues 1988 BC Classic 1995 Nakamura Chikusann
10 Hansel 1988 Preakness S, Belmont S 1999 HIDAKA Stallion Station
11 Arazi 1989 BC Juvenile 1997 2002 (to Swiss)
12 Colonial Affair 1990 Belmont S 2000 2003 (to U.S.A.)
13 Tikkanen 1991 BC Turf 1996 ARROW Stud
14 Tabasco Cat 1991 Preakness S, Belmont S 2000 JBBA SIZUNAI Stallion Station
15 Brocco 1991 BC Juvenile 2000 2002 (to Australia)
16 Timber Country 1992 Preakness S 1995 LEX Stud
17 Pilsudsky 1992 BC Turf 1998 JBBA SIZUNAI Stallion Station
18 Thunder Gulch 1992 KY Derby, Belmont S 1999 1999 (to Australia)
19 Chief Bearhart 1993 BC Turf 1999 JBBA IBURI Stallion Station
20 Spinning World 1993 BC Mile 2000 2000 (to Australia)
21 Boston Harbor 1994 BC Juvenile 2001 JBBA SIZUNAI Stallion Station
22 Charismatic 1996 KY Derby, Preakness S 2002 JBBA SIZUNAI Stallion Station
23 Squirtle Squiet 1998 BC Sprint 2002 JBBA SIZUNAI Stallion Station
24 War Emblem 1999 KY Derby, Preakness S 2002 SHADAI Stallion Station Resting Stallion Duty

There are programs in Japan offered for the purpose of maintaining well-being of the thoroughbred horses after the horse retires from racing.

One of which is that JRA houses horses who fulfill a set qualification at our facilities.

Another is financial aid offered to individuals who house horses that fulfill a set qualification. At the moment, ninety two (92) horses benefit from those programs in Japan.

We try to provide assistance in the capacity as a race organizer. Furthermore, the stallions imported by JRA or JBBA is looked after at an exclusive facility after his retirement from stallion duty until his natural life ends.

There are also a good many private farms, which voluntarily provide such programs.

We believe the welfare of retired racehorses are common problem that horsemen worldwide shares. Our effort may be limited at the moment, however we are trying to resolve this problem with strong concern.

We sincerely hope you understand.<<<

[url][/url]http://www.jair.jrao.ne.jp/topics/t10151.html

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:53 pm

I found Arrow Studs roster page (I think) http://www.ozhorse.com.au/studs1/sp/sp152651.html

Can't tell if it is this year's roster.

Ann
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Ann » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:03 pm

Bj, I looked in the TB Times listings under Japan...the listings come before the regulars stallion pages. I haven't tried your link but it looks like the one I Googled and it came up with the 2002 Stallion roster and it showed Hawkster being at Arrow Stud. Hope this old boy is still with us

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:58 pm

Ann wrote:Bj, I looked in the TB Times listings under Japan...the listings come before the regulars stallion pages. I haven't tried your link but it looks like the one I Googled and it came up with the 2002 Stallion roster and it showed Hawkster being at Arrow Stud. Hope this old boy is still with us

Me too Ann :!: He did set a world track record on the turf!

O.k., I found it on TBTimes too:

Hawkster
Silver Hawk - Strait Lane, by Chieftain
Fee: N/A

Arrow Stud
Tahara, Shizunai-Cho, Shizunai-Gun, Hokkaido, 056-01
Phone: 01464-6-2141 •
Fax:
Email:

Anyone speak Japanese? I think his stud fee (from 2002) is about $500? Conversion to U.S. dollars from 500,000 Yen??? Anyone brave enough to call and find out? Wish these peope had email. I thought Japan was the technology capital of the world. :?

Ann
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Ann » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:18 am

You know BJ, this whole matter tends to disturb me especiallyknowing what has happend in the near past. Quite a few years back early 90's, We became aware of the slaughter issue when buying/selling at the Arkansas sale. We had two lovely mares we sold fall through the cracks and from that point on, we've made a point to follow any horse we sell, be it for racing or a broodmare. All old mares now are pensioned with us and is one stallion. Since we're small breeders, we're able to keep track of the racing stock too and have been able to place most all of them. It's been a chore but, if we can do this, I haven't figured out why others don't at least try. Right now I hope dear Hawkster is okay and hopefully somehow can come back home to the US and live out his life. It takes people who care...just a little to make a difference.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:00 am

Ann wrote:You know BJ, this whole matter tends to disturb me especiallyknowing what has happend in the near past. Quite a few years back early 90's, We became aware of the slaughter issue when buying/selling at the Arkansas sale. We had two lovely mares we sold fall through the cracks and from that point on, we've made a point to follow any horse we sell, be it for racing or a broodmare. All old mares now are pensioned with us and is one stallion. Since we're small breeders, we're able to keep track of the racing stock too and have been able to place most all of them. It's been a chore but, if we can do this, I haven't figured out why others don't at least try. Right now I hope dear Hawkster is okay and hopefully somehow can come back home to the US and live out his life. It takes people who care...just a little to make a difference.

Ann,

I really appreciate that you do take care and responsibility for the horses you breed. That's all this industry needs. It just seems to follow (to me anyway) that IF one is careful and really thinks about what they are doing and the long term responsibility BEFORE they breed that next horse, we will not only have better quality racing stock but a much better industry to operate within.

We just bought our filly's sister because we did not want her falling through the cracks. We surely didn't need another horse. But when I saw how much like her sister she was...it was all over for me!

In every society throughout the ages, when society, in mass, became more interested in money/wealth than in humanity and what affect or actions and decisions have on others, that society has been doomed to suffer greatly. I really hope we are turning a corner here in TB Racing. With the recent Marylou Whitney saving of Birdstone's brother from slaughter and more and more print media within the industry willing to make it an issue, more people are beginning to see it as "fashionable" to care. I don't care why they do it...just as long as they do it!

Hawkster holds a special place in my heart as I used to visit him at the barn when he was racing. And...he was a running machine on the track!

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:25 am

Hi

A very good friend has a Hawkster mare (Lady Hawkster) who is just a sweetheart. She's a big girl, nearly 17 hands. She just had a beautiful yearling colt (Sharper Edge) go through our select sale.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes