Old Bess?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Old Bess?

Postby ZiaLand » Sat May 28, 2005 12:36 pm

Can anyone give me some insight into a mare named Old Bess? She seemed to be a pretty good producer, but was she considered a blue hen? Would a stallion with a pedigree that traces tail-female through both the sire and dam to Old Bess be a good thing?

Thanks!
Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sat May 28, 2005 1:14 pm

Hi Zia,

Old Bess has become a well regarded ancestress in Florida who isappearing in current pedigrees as the third dam of MONTBROOK (and 4th generation ofhis sons) and as the 4th dam of HALO'S IMAGE.

Her own best foals were the stakes winner O'CALLOWAY and stakes-placed Carrollton (both by Rough N' Tumble.

Bess was never bred to fashionable stallions (other than, in retrospect, Rough N' Tumble). Her early daughters either were bred lightly or not at all and to forgettable stallions. Her later daughters had some success and their daughters did in turn. The same is true of many of her (great) grand daughters. Her best daughters were:

Best Answer (1962 by My Request), produced stakes-placed Sugar Del who is the dam of SUGAR'S IMAGE (dam of HALO'S IMAGE), and Sugar Too (black type dam).

Patsy's Lil Girl, (1971 by Roi Dagobert) produced MIGHTY APPEALING (G1). Her daughter, Cricket Box, is the dam of OUTOFTHEBOX (thus inbred 4x3 to Old Bess). Another daughter, Girlish Appeal produced COTTAGE FLOWER.

Attache Case (1970 by Diplomat Way) produced WIDAAD who was a stakes winner and black-type dam in England. Secret Papers is the dam of MONTBROOK.

In evaluating Old Bess you need to look at the quality of stallions that she and her brood were bred to. Seems that when they got a chance, they've been solid producers of some quality race horses and otherwise they've been very ordinary. I have to suspect that many of the lesser foals never had the chance that more high profile families have had.

I'm sure that others can fill in the rest and I'm sure I've missed some.

Regards,

Pete

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun May 29, 2005 11:16 am

Thanks for your insights, Pete. The stallion I am researching is one you mentioned...Outofthebox. I also posted a query on him under the Stallions section.

Laurie

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sun May 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Hi Zia,

What was your question about Outofthebox?

Pete

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun May 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Pete,

I was looking at Outofthebox as a less costly alternative to Montbrook, and was curious about how he compares to his sire and what justifies the $7,500 stud fee.

Laurie

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon May 30, 2005 3:48 pm

Carrollton served as a sire in Puerto Rico and was linked in ownership to the famous owner of Camarero (56 undefeated wins). Was an honest stallion.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 am

Just came across this thread

Half sister to OutoftheBox is tail female to Old Bess, and is dam of the highly regarded 3yof Unlimited Budget. Seems like something of quality pops up in this ff at least once a generation. What ever happened to OutoftheBox?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Joltman wrote:Just came across this thread

Half sister to OutoftheBox is tail female to Old Bess, and is dam of the highly regarded 3yof Unlimited Budget. Seems like something of quality pops up in this ff at least once a generation. What ever happened to OutoftheBox?

jm

I remember him when he was up at Sez Who in NY but after they closed down I lost track of him...