Min. 24 horses killed in trailer accident Wed.

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:03 pm

hurleync, I was merely illustrating the treatment that countless horses receive on a day by day basis -- not condoning it.

Someone I know very well, that runs a horse hauling company for the racing trainers, routinely takes horses every fall to Wyoming from KY, and back, in a stock trailer. He is a "cowboy" who thinks wraps are for sissies.

As for the accident, it was certainly awful. Double-decker trailers are illegal for horses in KY. However, I know several traders that buy in Iowa, Minnesota, etc., that bring horses to KY to sell. I don't personally know any with double-deckers... not how I would want one of my horses moved.

The fact that the "cheap" horses were in the rig they were in pretty much assures they weren't wrapped -- that is all I was saying.

There are, in the world, children without medical care or food, injustices of all kinds -- and horses without wraps.

Again, not the way I treat mine.

madelyn

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:42 pm

I too know a LOT of trainers who will NOT put wraps on horses to ship. And I am talking $30k horses not $3k or $300 ones. The wraps can slip and cause bandage bows. I was simply aghast when I first saw it done a few years ago on horses shipping here to Mnr from Fla... but it takes a couple days to get here if the horses stop for a rest, and the van drivers are NOT responsible for re-setting bandages that might have slipped. If its a trainer, who is sending a horse to a different trainer of course they are NOT going to send a $200 set of shipping boots with a horse that they wont ever see again.

We routinely get horses in from other big trainers, some send in wraps others dont. I am amazed (and knocking on wood here) but I have yet to see a bandageless horse come off the van with any leg injury. Of course now that I have said that.... it will be the next one we get in from Chicago that is a really spensive one or something that gets off the van with blood running everywhere... lol - would be just my luck. I send mine in wraps if they arent going far or if Darren or I am shipping the horse, but cant expect a van driver to be responsible for checking slippage of wraps.

Now that I think about it I cant recall seeing yearlings coming in to or leaving Keeneland wrapped. but dont quote me on that one. They leave often with their "info sheet" tucked into their halter and still wearing their hip # but I really dont recall seeing any being loaded with wraps. Side note.. thought it was nice that many consignors include an info sheet of paper folded up and tucked into halter (the end of the headstall piece) giving info with dates of shots and worming and amounts/types of current feeding program.

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:24 pm

Madelyn, do the traders really bring these horses from Minnesota, Iowa, etc to sell them as riding horses - 50 at a time - in Kentucky??? Wow, I stand corrected. I mean I realize that decent racing/breeding stock can be found anywhere - I've bought mares privately in West Virginia and Ohio and brought them back to NY. But that's different, obviously, from buying large lots at auction to retrain as riding horses. I am really surprised to hear that - to me it sounded a bit like bringing cheap coals to Newcastle. Guess I'd thought there'd be enough non-select/injured horses left over from the huge horse industry in KY to satisfy any demand for riding horses! But I'm not in KY, so defer to your experience there. As for shipping bandages, I agree with both you and Jessi that they can do more harm than good, esp'y on long hauls - really it depends on the type of wrap, the distance you're travelling, the need (e.g. is the horse notorious for banging or pawing in the trailer) and the driver (a friend who might check and correct bandage slippage, if any vs. commercial).

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:52 pm

hurleync, yes they do. Horses are a commodity to these guys, if they can pick up a pony in Iowa for $75 that they can get $275 for in KY, well that is what they do. You might think that KY produces enough horses for its demand, which it might, but our prices are actually higher for broke, rideable stock than in Iowa or Minnesota. I was invited, and will probably go to, the Iowa sale next month. Words out of the inviter's mouth, "if you think prices are 'something' here, you should see Iowa." People come to KY to buy, they don't necessarily go to Iowa. It is still far cheaper here than in Virginia, SC, NC, PA, etc. etc. etc. and people come here because we have very big sales/auctions. Horses do better here so sometimes they spend a month or so on pasture. "All the better to see you with my dear." And you should see some of these "cowboys" ride. They can make a bronc look like a tame pet. It is shameless, as I have said, I don't condone it, but it exists, like the carnivals with their bearded ladies. We have land, arguably the best land in America for horses. Many of the best farriers, vets, etc. And KY's reputation for horses.. all playing here.

As I have said in other posts, these guys are businessmen, but they have hearts too, some of them, and anything they can sell as a riding horse, they will. Usually they are not the killer buyers, they do not, though, stop them from buying, at a fair price, what they are selling. These are not just horses, but all equines -- donkeys, mules, etc. I regularly attend the auctions; of, say 300 equines on a Monday night, maybe two are Thoroughbreds.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:12 am

Horses coming in from the West or points West occur routinely. As Madelyn has said, there are many, many dealers that have connections to horses throughout the West/Mid-Western states where horses can be bought up cheaply (ranch horses) and toted around to auction houses/barns/other dealers with the intentions of getting more money for them. Crowleys Auction house in Mass routinely gets horses in from the West/MidWest (as an example).

As another example- I've recently been made aware of a dealer located in Tennesee (from a reliable source). He supposedly has a very large farm where he can hold large numbers of horses. He'll attend auctions starting from Tennesee and working his way upwards Northeast, picking up horses, reselling and toting some back for 'holding' in Tennesee. As conditions warrant, he'll then truck load(s) of horses to Canada (those that haven't sold/injured but in good flesh). It's not an impossibility that horses being sold by dealers have been 'toted' around from anywhere of 2-4 weeks while hitting different auctions.

To really understand the in/outs of 'dealing' horses, the experience of attending an auction are definately in order. For those of us private individuals that witness the activity, it's astonishing to realize just how these horses get 'tossed' around. It's also not uncommon to see horses with multiple hip tags (from other auction houses).

As for this story, whether or not this trucker was en route for delivery in KY., remains to be confirmed. There is alot of speculation but until the facts are revealed (to the authorities) we'll all just have to wait and see.

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:49 am

I had no idea there was a cheap horse trading "subculture" on such a very large scale! (And I've been to New Holland a few times, as well). Thank you all for the information.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:57 am

There is a place 20 min from me that buys up cheap horses at auction or takes giveaways and re-sells them for riding stock, they always have 30-50 for sale at any given time. When I wanted to buy my kids a safe pony a few years ago for their first pony I went there to look, based on their advertising... the ones advertised as safe are 25+ years old and priced at $1k and up. I could go buy the same ones from an auction myself for $100-400. Many had "issues" be it soundness or behavioral. But they advertise a LOT (even advertising that they will take unwanted equines) and stay in business so they must be doing something "right."

Edited to add the quotes on the "right." :roll:

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:05 am

BTW I don't know how many Thoroughbreds or exracers were on that van. The pictures I saw looked like a lot of nondescript grade horses and pintos and such and a few looked pony sized. There was some reference on the COTH forum that these could have been camp horses looking for a winter job.

As for heading to Kentucky, they were only a few miles from the state border and they were heading south. It sure looked like they were going to Kentucky but of course who knows with these people.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:16 am

Jessi P wrote:There is a place 20 min from me that buys up cheap horses at auction or takes giveaways and re-sells them for riding stock, they always have 30-50 for sale at any given time. When I wanted to buy my kids a safe pony a few years ago for their first pony I went there to look, based on their advertising... the ones advertised as safe are 25+ years old and priced at $1k and up. I could go buy the same ones from an auction myself for $100-400. Many had "issues" be it soundness or behavioral. But they advertise a LOT (even advertising that they will take unwanted equines) and stay in business so they must be doing something "right."

Edited to add the quotes on the "right." :roll:

There is a riding stable out here that I took lessons at for years (before I opened my eyes and knew better). The stable specialized in tons of advertising to bring beginners and the naive into the sport and then, after you fell in love with your horse, they would try to sell the horse to you at an incredible markup -- and they took credit cards! I'm talking about a $1000 horse for $6500 --those kinds of markups. They brought in cheap stock from Mexico, grabbed horses off the track, found ponies at fly by night auctions. They stay in business too as long as they can find another horsesick newbie to fleece. Apparently there are tons of them out there.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:43 am

Horse-traders have been in business since the settlers took up residence here in the U.S. Of course, years ago and without the benefit of avenues to advertise, it was by word of mouth.

In todays age, it's still a very heavily practiced occupation, and I'd bet there's plenty that have raised their families on the trade of horses. 'Some' of the tactics may have changed, but I suspect they still remain influenced by attracting non-experienced horse-owners (first-timers) to fall in love w/their new 'lesson' mount and then make the close for purchasing by threatening to take it to an auction etc.,.

There are all kinds of horse dealers, from those that 'trade' out of high-class H/J-WP barns to backyard farms.

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:07 am

Marli, even as one raised in England I'm very well aware that there is a long history of horse trading in the U.S.!!! I think most of us know that! Obviously, horse trading continues today on many different levels - I mean in its broadest form, horse trading is just buying and selling and horses!! Nothing wrong with that! However, I'm skeptical when I hear people say that horses are transported, 50 or more at at time, on double deckers from states like Iowa and Minnesota at below slaughter prices to states of high density horse populations primarily for resale as riding horses. After thinking about it, I am still not convinced that all of those horses (transported in such a fashion) are really being transported PRIMARILY for the riding horse industry - particularly if they can be bought, as Madelyn says, for as little as $75 in states like Iowa - at that sort of price, a sizeable profit can be made whether the horse is sold as a riding horse or to slaughter - and frankly I don't think that anyone who transports horses long distance on those contraptions really cares one way or the other (unless the $ are higher one way or the other). IMHO, if horses transported like this are brought to another auction (or to a farm and then to another auction) and some are sold to slaughter buyers, then, please, they weren't really transported to be retrained as riding horses. To the large scale operators, I think the "riding horse" business is a nice but very small ancillary to what is primarily slaughter-associated business - if they can cherry pick a few horses and resell at higher prices then great, but a lot of the large lots they buy end up at other auctions sold (apparently still at a large profit) to the slaughter buyers. It makes them look better and it helps them circumvent the law regarding transportation of horses to slaughter, to say that they're transporting riding horses. As for the Rameys, (who were transporting the horses involved in the double decker accident last Wednesday in Indiana) I don't believe them. I think most of those horses would have ended up slaughtered, even if they spent time on the Ramey's farm in KY waiting to be brought to a local auction. There are reports on the anti-slaughter website from folks who know something about their business which suggest that the Rameys sell horses at auction to the slaughter industry. [/code]

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Animal Protection Coalition and Indiana Horse Rescue have received many e-mails regarding the double deck semi trailer accident in Dearborn County that killed 21 horses. John Holland of Virginia has put together a wonderful report which may answer many of your questions.

At the request of Joell Girone of WLWT Television (www.channelcincinnati.com), Anthony Caldwell, President of Animal Protection Coalition flew to Cincinnati, OH to be interviewed regarding this accident and to answer more questions regarding horses going to slaughter. We were able to supply them with video from the "Slaughterhouse Ride" story from WISH-TV and WANE-TV along with the horse slaughter video from the Humane Farming Association. Joell Girone is continuing to research the destiny of these horses and the outcome of the accident.

Facts about the terrible accident with the double deck trailer
Prepared by: John Holland, Team Red Horse

Note: This file is a work in progress and several earlier
versions that were based on press accounts showed significantly
different numbers of horses killed and other facts.

I believe this to be the most accurate account of the accident
at this time (9/22/04). Note that the number of equines killed was
originally estimated at 30 and is now known to have been 21.
Many of the horses were young, and four of the animals were
mules according to first hand accounts.

The accident occurred Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 15th on Indiana
State Rt. 1, just north of Lawrenceburg and one half mile from the
Greendale City limits. The vehicle came around a turn and slid off
the roadway striking a guardrail, then going over a slight embankment
the vehicle fell over on its side and hit a utility pole breaking
the pole. A small fire was started by the downed wires.

Dearborn police stated that big rigs often used the route to avoid
the scales on the I-74, I-275 interstates if they were overweight.

The reports of the various media outlets varied widely on the number
of horses that died at the scene, the number euthanized, and the even
the total number. I therefore called Dr. Nenni to clarify them. The
following facts are directly from my telephone interviews with Dr.
Nenni. I told him that I was researching facts and would try to
discriminate then as widely as possible so as to reduce misinformation
and speculation, and to attempt to minimize the number of people
bothering him. He was extremely responsive and helpful. After our
initial conversation he called me back with further information.

According to Dr. Nenni he euthanized 12 horses when he arrived
(not the 6 reported by the press). He indicated that the reporter
who had said the owner had told him to euthanize any horses that
“could not go on” had misunderstood his meaning. By “going on”
he meant horses that had no reasonable chance for survival. No
horses were euthanized that had a reasonably chance of survival,
he said. One horse was given to the property owner where the
accident occurred in payment of damages. The Standard Fertilizer
Company reported removing 21 dead horses. The remaining 30 horses
continued to the Ramey farm.

Therefore the total number of horses that died was 21, and the
total number that survived was about 31, for a grand total of 52.
Dr. Nenni stated some of the misestimates of the number killed
came from the fact that most of the horses shown laying about
the pasture in press photos were not the dead, but rather the
survivors who laid down after the stress of the accident.

Dr. Nenni further told me that he did not check Coggins papers
(that was not his function there), but that he established
contact with the Kentucky State veterinarian waiting at the
Ramey farm and that he was told they checked all the appropriate
paperwork. He said all horses arrived in good shape. Dr. Nenni
said he did check some of the bills of sale and that most of the
horses he checked were registered horses including paints and
quarter horses. The Kentucky State veterinarian told Dr. Nenni
that all of the horses came from legal auctions in the North.
<End of information from Dr. Nenni>

According to first hand accounts, some of the injured horses
were made to wait 1 to 1 ½ hours. This has been attributed to
the fact that most veterinarians were away from the area at
a conference, leaving Dr. Nenni and his staff the only ones
at the scene.

Also according to first hand accounts, several people in the
area had guns and wanted to shoot the horses but the Sheriff
would not allow it and threatened to handcuff anyone with a
gun to the trees!

According to a first hand report, "In a forward compartment
there were several horses all believed to be dead (including a
2 month old baby <foal>). When using the crane to get the trailer
up there was a bunch of banging and kicking. They set it down
and went in and found a mule in the middle of a bunch of dead
horses without a scratch." <End of first hand report>

The driver and passengers were treated and released.

The surviving horses were moved to a makeshift coral at the
residence of Chris and Michelle Belshawl, 19534 Whitaker Lane
until they calmed down. The remaining horses, except for a
red roan that was given to the property owner for damages, were
then reloaded and continued to their destination which the owner
said was the Ramey Ranch only 160 miles away in Flemingsburg, KY.

The horses were reported to have bills of sale showing most
had sold in the 500.00 range. None of the horses were tagged
for slaughter. If their destination was legal slaughter these tags would
have been required.

A member of our them interviewed one of the state officials
who was present at the accident. According to this official, "Horses
on the trailer were for the most part, not nice looking horses. Most
of the horses were young, and they traveled on the bottom. [This
agrees with Dr. Nenni's account]. The older, or taller horses traveled
on top. The top of the entire trailer was shorn off. There were four mules."

The owner of the horses was Jodi Ramey of Flemingsburg Kentucky who
was a passenger in the truck and claimed the horses were bought at
auction in Minnesota to be sold as trail and riding. The Ramey's are
members of the Kentucky Cattlemen's Assoc.

There was another tractor trailer, also commissioned by Ramey traveling in
front of the one that crashed. It has not been determined if it was also a
double decker. Reportedly, Jodi Ramey radioed this truck and instructed
it not to come back to the scene and help, but rather to keep going to
Kentucky.

Channel 5 News out of Cincinnati visited the Ramey farm but
was stonewalled.

The driver was Kristopher Ramey. He was sited for not having
a log book. There was a second passenger in the truck.

The tractor trailer was reported to be owned by the Fleming
Meat Packing Co. of Flemingsburg KY. The packing company
(slaughter house) is listed as being "Multi-species". A
friend of the Ramey’s says that the Ramey cattle operations
do business with the packing company.

Fleming County Packing Co.
233 Railroad St.
Flemingsburg, KY 41041
(606) 845-1011

There is not yet any established relationship between the
Rameys and the meat packing company other than their tractor
was pulling the trailer and the fact that the Ramey cattle
business sold cattle to the packing company (private email
from acquaintance of Ramey’s).

Horse slaughter is illegal in Kentucky so if the Fleming
County Packing Company was the intended destination of
these horses it would have been against state law.

None of the horses were wearing the tags required for slaughter
bound horses.

It has not been established whether the Rameys resell to
slaughter houses like Cavel.

Several people have confirmed that the Rameys do buy horses
regularly at Sugar Creek and other auctions, and at least one
person confirms having bought a saddle horse from them.
According to one source “Jodi and his dad buy horses from
up north and hauls them to the auctions all the way down to
Tennessee. He goes non stop through the auctions buying
riding horses cheap then re-sells them. I have know Jodi
for a long time, didn't know that that the tractor/trailer
his dad drove was hauling horses though. I have only seen
Jodi pull through the auctions with a big gooseneck stock
trailer. ”

In 2003 the Ramey Trucking Company had a similar accident,
but it is not known if it is the same Ramey family, but
the extended Ramey family does do a lot of professional
hauling according to acquaintances. Here is the report
from the 2003 accident:

<<Thirty cows died when the tractor-trailer carrying them
crashed Saturday morning on the ramp from northbound
Interstate 75 to westbound Interstate 275. Erlanger police
closed the ramp for about 81/2 hours after Oakley Cooper,
27, of Flemingsburg, lost control of a tractor-trailer
owned by Ramey Trucking of Flemingsburg at 2:25 a.m.
Police said the trailer broke lose from the truck and
flipped onto its right side, skidding for more than 350
feet and striking a light pole. >> <End of information
about similar accident>

The veterinarian at the horse trailer accident site was:

Dr. John Nenni
Bright Vet Clinic

The person who will determine if charges are filed is:

Sally Blankenship
Dearborn County Courthouse
215 W. High St
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
[email protected]

(812) 537-8884 phone
(812) 537-4295 fax - corrected from earlier post

Law Enforcement Jurisdiction:
Dearborn County Sheriff
1-800-543-1149.
301 W. High St
Lawrenceburg, Indiana 47025

The investigating officer was:
Dearborn County Sheriff
Deputy Allen Holdcraft assisted Deputy William Wagner

Also responding to the scene were:
Greendale EMS
Greendale Fire Dept.
Greendale Police Dept.
Indiana Department of Transportation
Indiana State Police DOT Enforcement
Miller York Fire Dept.

Source documents
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/3 ... etail.html
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/3 ... etail.html
http://www.dearborncounty.org/sheriff/d ... ecrash.pdf
http://www.dearborncounty.org/sheriff/pressrelease4.htm
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/09/ ... _late.html
http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=5224
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnew ... -3370.html
Personal email from two acquaintances
Email accounts from persons at the scene
Two telephone interviews with Dr. Nenni
Telephone interview with Official at scene by Anne Russek

Post script:

Why has this story received such keen attention from the
horse community? There has been wild speculation about
the destiny (as opposed to destination) of these horses,
because of the following facts.

1) It is virtually unheard of for non-slaughter bound horses
to be hauled in double deck cattle trailers.

2) The lack of a required log book. This book would
have made it possible to trace the movement of the truck
and the weight of its load.

3) The fact that the tractor was owned by a slaughter house
in a state where horse slaughter is illegal.

4) The fact that the Ramey's chose not to address the
accident publicly (this is probably the major issue).

5) The fact that the truck appeared to be trying to avoid
the scales.

6) The fact that the second truck was not called back to
the scene to help.

7) The fact that the Jodi Ramey claimed they were to be
resold as saddle horses, but there were four mules in
the shipment and many horses were too young to be used
for that purpose in the near term.

8) The purchase range of the horses is in the slaughter range.

9) The fact that persons calling and offering to buy the
survivors are being ignored.

10) The present location of the horses is not known.

None of the above facts proves anything beyond the
explanation given by Jodi Ramey, but they all need to
be answered before the issue will be put to rest.

If you have any questions regarding this accident please send them to [email protected]. We are working with all our resources to get the facts.

Animal Protection Coalition
(765) 659-5209
http://www.animalprotectioncoalition.org
http://www.esfrescue.com

Sandi in Florida
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Sandi in Florida » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:23 pm

Wow--what a story--sure sounds fishy.

To all of you who go to auctions around the country, please let me know if you ever see Tennesse Walkers or Spotted Saddle horses at these places. Would love to make room in my pasture for a gaited horse needing a home, unless it's really sick or crazy/mean. But if you ever see a pretty or nice one, please let me know!
you give, you get
love and protect
and good will always follow you
--Yellowman

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:25 pm

Actually, I have met Jodi Ramey, and he is as described, a horse trader. I have never seen a double-decker used in KY for horses; this sounds like an unfortunate accident. It was a "borrowed" rig; if it had a logbook it would not necessarily have been left in the truck by the owner. It may be that Jodi's dad, who was driving, had borrowed the rig for the trip, but didn't want the possible hassles of being stopped on the interstate in a truck he didn't own... there are a lot of folks who wouldn't want that. If he was found without a logbook or a CDL he could have been hauled off to jail and the horses left in the rig by the side of the road..

Sandi, I see them (TWH, KSH, RM, gaited) at the sale all the time, from weanling to middle-aged. As a matter of fact, Jodi Ramey often buys them....

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:20 pm

Oh, Sandi. You say something like that and one of these rigs is gonna be pulling up to your farm.

How do you say no to any of them?

Chiggins

- if i had the acreage...
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!