CAUTION > REPRO OF COPYRIGHT MATERIAL ON THIS MSG BOARD

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ballymoss
Yearling

CAUTION > REPRO OF COPYRIGHT MATERIAL ON THIS MSG BOARD

Postby ballymoss » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:22 am

Have noticed something that could become a LEGAL problem for some posters on this board.

It is fine to provide a LINK/URL to a story on Blood-Horse, or a data report from the Jockey Club.

THIS MATERIAL IS COPYRIGHTED, and anyone who, in a wholesale fashion, submits it here, or anywhere else, may be asking for trouble, if they decide to go after YOU. You do NOT own the COPYRIGHT, and as such, can NOT repro it, in full, here. Same would apply to produce records.

If anyone remembers from the old board, there are SPIES from JC, etc. who scan these types of forums. If they so wish, all they have to do is inquire to MILES about the identity of the poster, and the next knock you will hear on your door is a process server with an invitation to appear in court. I have better things to do with my money than feed a lawyer.

Fair Use is one thing, but you cannot legally reproduce someone else's work, without even mentioning that it is copyrighted.

This would apply to articles in TB Times, Blood-Horse, plus any of the pedigree services, which charge for their products.

In fact, some websites even frown on linking to their webservers, but that is a minor point, at this time.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Proceed at your own legal peril.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:27 am

Ballymoss, where are you from?
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:54 am

Oh, I just noticed the reference that you were familiar with the goings on on the old board! You must be from the group on the old board, who were you, what was your username there?
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

BJ
Horse of the Year

According to www.whatiscopyright.org

Postby BJ » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:40 pm

TAKEN FROM THE WEBSITE: http://www.whatiscopyright.org
Related to the use of "cutting & pasting" articles & other APR info:

>>> Fair Use.

Fair use or fair practice is utilization of a portion of a copyrighted work "as is" for purposes of parody, news reporting, research and education about such copyrighted work without the permission of the author. Use of copyrighted works, or portions thereof, for any other purpose is not deemed fair use, so be careful! That includes copying text or scanning pictures from postcards, magazines, books or any other work. Scanning a photo of the Amazon Forest printed in National Geographic and using it without permission on your personal web site about your family trip to South America will most likely not be considered as fair use. However, if you republished the photo on your site to comment on the photo as it was published in National Geographic, this would most likely be considered fair use. You still have to credit your source by naming the author of the work on the same page. In any event, it is always safer to take the time and effort to contact the owner and request permission to use the owner's work, and more likely than not the owner will be very appreciative and give you a favorable response.

Many think that one may take someone else's work, whether it be writings, graphic images, midis and the like and use it in an "educational" work without obtaining the author's permission or giving credit because it is "fair use". When you wrote a term paper in school, didn't you credit your sources? Even if you paraphrased the author's original words, or if you feel that you don't need the author's permission because it falls in this vague concept of fair use you must credit your source's hard work by naming your source as a reference. This is a requirement under copyright legislation. If not, you'd be committing plagiarism. <<<

THE ABOVE WAS TAKEN FROM THE WEBSITE: http://www.whatiscopyright.org