Thoroughbred Times Cover Picture Aug 28th 2004

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Caerleon
Suckling

Thoroughbred Times Cover Picture Aug 28th 2004

Postby Caerleon » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:22 pm

This picture has bothered me for quite awhile. It is on the Throughbred Times Aug 28th front cover.
PERFECT PACIFIC
Are the bulges on his forearm and neck normal ? To tell you the truth I have never seen such bulges like this. :?
Someone please explain?
THE VIEW REALLY SUCKS UNLESS YOU'RE THE LEAD DOG

Caerleon
Suckling

Postby Caerleon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:15 am

I thought we had so many experts on this baord where are you now.
has anyone ever seen this ? :roll:

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:22 am

Can you provide a link to the picture? I dont subscribe to the TB times, I just use the website.

Caerleon
Suckling

Postby Caerleon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:28 am

I'm not sure Jessi you were one of the ones I was hoping could help I will see what I can do.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:22 am

OK I stuck the photo you emailed me on webshots at http://community.webshots.com/photo/144 ... 8473FniikT it should be accessible by 2:30 pm est (usually takes about 30 min).

That said, I have no CLUE why she has such huge bulges on his neck and elbow. I believe the apparent bulge on her forearm is in part her left hock showing thru behind the forearm making it look bigger but there are definitely 2 HUGE bulges - one by her elbow and one on her neck. Reminds me of when I saw a horse with an abcess on his neck from a bad shot. It is of course possible (and most likely probable) that it is simply the individual but I would love to see a pic of her (from the same day if at all possible) before the race had her muscles all pumped up.

She also looks to have a big bulge on her brisket, between her front legs, more on the right side than left. I had a mare who would get bulges like this if something irritated her skin, but this is pretty amazing. This is a 3 yo filly, right? Looks like a juvenile, seemingly all legs, no rear. Does the photo have credit given to who took the pic? Might be interesting to hear what the photog had to say.

I have seen horses come back from a race with marks like these if hit by the whip in a spot that caused a blood vessel to burst and result in a hematoma, but its usually on a stifle or belly.

Caerleon
Suckling

Postby Caerleon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:36 am

Thanks Jessi for finding a way to put the pic up. It looks like the forearm bulge is just that, the forearm not the back leg. I thought it was quite strange and was hoping someone else had seen this before.

Swaps1955
Allowance Winner

Postby Swaps1955 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:45 pm

I've taken thousands of photos of horses (in action) professionally and have never had seen quite like that--even with Quarter Horses! Very odd. If it's a reaction to shots (as a previous poster suggested) you'd wonder what the shots were about! I've looked through numerous photos of horses in the exact same stride and haven't come up with anything with that sort of "uniqueness". Hmmmmm.

easterstar
Newborn

Postby easterstar » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:04 pm

Here's a picture just a little bit later in the race from the Blood-Horse: http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=23975 I'm not finding any other pictures of the Pacific Classic, but he doesn't appear to be all swollen in the one from the B-H like he does on the cover of the TB Times... Weird.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:10 pm

OK...... why did I think he was a 3 yo filly? I orig wrote my whole post out referring to him as a he, then looked to see how old it was and came up with a 3 yo filly and had to re-do all the "he" and "his" in my post LOL.

He does look better in the 2nd pic but you can still tell where the bulges are prominent in the first pic.

John
Suckling

Postby John » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:13 pm

WEIRD> thats all I can say. Of all the pics they could have put on the front cover and thats the one they choose.< FREAKY :shock:

jellac
Grade I Winner

Inartful "dodging" of the original photo

Postby jellac » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:46 pm

I think someone has 'doctored' the photo, removing something that obsured or interferred with the view of the horse's right shoulder area - perhaps to make the image more clear than it was originally with the result that the horse looks deformed.

Jon
Newborn

Postby Jon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:13 pm

No jellec no one has " doctored " the photo. I have seen it too, of course the one copied obviously twice on this site is of poor quality. The original one is very very clear, you can tell the bulges are very real.

Linda in TX
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Linda in TX » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:19 am

Jon wrote: the one copied obviously twice on this site is of poor quality. The original one is very very clear, you can tell the bulges are very real.

The photo is of Pleasantly Perfect. Many pics of him are available online to look at for comparison. The horse doesn't have any weird lumps, bumps or bulges. Obviously the photo in question from the cover of the TB Times has artifacts and doesn't depict the horse as he really is.

Caerleon
Suckling

Postby Caerleon » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:46 pm

You are right about the name sorry Pleasantly Perfect. But are wrong about it being an artifact. I am looking at a clear picture of the cover and there is nothing man made about it ! Doesn't anyone else get the Thoroughbred Times ? Just because you can not explain something doesn't mean it doesn't exist :)

Linda in TX
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Linda in TX » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:31 pm

http://www.galleryofchampions.com/galle ... ase_ID=963

This is a similar photo of Pleasantly Perfect at the wire of the BC Classic last year. Now, do you suppose he developed "tumors" between then and his run in the Pacific Classic? Or do you suppose a more logical explanation is a faulty photo, one that was double exposed perhaps?