California people

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:03 am

Inthe951 wrote:Hello.

I live in Riverside, Mira Loma area and think I can help you discover the place you are looking for. I know there is a TB farm that faces Rubidoux Nature Center which is where the River Bottom Runs. There is also a TB farm off of Limonite that is across the street from a big "sale" horse place. Does any of this help? :D

You're fairly close to where I grew up (Campbell and Crest out by Novi High).

The one out near Limonite near the 15 is Mira Loma TB Farm ("Calumet of the West" is what they were going for. Ferrell Jones was involved with the place at one time). I use to ride my bike out there during the foaling season when I was a kid -- Crest out to Novi then up to Van Buren and out to Mira Loma .. long ride :-). There was a fairly decent sized animal shelter along the way that took in horses and had a chapter of Pegasus out there somewhere. I seem to remember that being close to city limit.

There is a hacking farm on the other side of the freeway (where it becomes Norco) that goes under the freeway and follows the river bottom.

When I had Chinook, we used to ride from Crest Ave to the wild animal park on the river bottom, cross under Van Buren and ride the ridge behind the water treatment plant (ICK!) out to "Log Park" and that's all I ever knew it by. Is that RNC?

What sucks is I am working off a 20 year old memory. I can only remember some of these streets and land markers, but if you plunked me down in the middle of Tyler Mall I could get anywhere in that city.

Sandi in Florida
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Sandi in Florida » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:39 am

SAM!!!! WHAT UFOs!!!! Have you actually seen them? I've seen weird things over the ocean, but never got close enough to be sure. What do yours look like?
you give, you get
love and protect
and good will always follow you
--Yellowman

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:35 am

Sandi in Florida wrote:SAM!!!! WHAT UFOs!!!! Have you actually seen them? I've seen weird things over the ocean, but never got close enough to be sure. What do yours look like?

Like F-15s with camouflage.

I don't disbelieve in the phenomenon (much like I don't disbelieve in God), I just don't blindly believe, either. I want hard, empirical facts backed up with inarguable data, because there are way too many lies out there, and many of them have fabricated truths, too.

8) I've got a father who, at various stages of his life, worked for Spooks in organizations with letters that are still being denied 15 years later. I've stood in the middle of the desert near Palmdale and been buzzed by a "UFO" traveling so fast the human eye would miss it if they didn't know where it was coming from in the first place, only to be tapped on the shoulder and asked "Did you see it?" "Barely" " :D No, you didn't. Remember, you didn't see anything."

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

California People!

Postby [email protected] » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:47 pm

Hi folks! Now were in my country!. A long time ago, I met the folks that owned the TB Farm on Limonite that you speak of....its just west of where old timer R. E. "Bob" Hawkins was, prior to being at the Lyn-Bar Ranch. I've lived in Mira Loma, Norco just to name a couple.

Unfortunately, time has taken its toll on my memory on some things...and cannot recall their names...They are on the south side of Limonite, also east of Dave Winn & Susie Winns (Susie no longer with us), and the old Auction Yard. Some of those may recall, that Dave Winn ran the L.A. Horse and Mule, after it moved to El Monte...a very long time ago.

Larry Gilligan....geez...I haven't heard that name in a very long time. My first husband was great friends with Larry when they were in Jr and High School, Washington Hi to be exact. Is Larry still alive? I think Gordon would enjoy hearing from him.

Riverside TB Farm....wasn't that the place where Jack Clugman bought into years ago? I was in Southern Cal last June and went by many of these old places.

Three (Connie) Rings....I believe she was closer in at one time. It was a barren looking place in its later years.

The Leal Ranches, Limonite and Hamner...is long gone. Didn't check out to see if J K Houssels was still there, but had heard it was gone also.

Bye for now, Pat

petersd
Maiden Special Weight

Postby petersd » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:27 pm

Jack Klugman's place, "El Rancho de Jaklin," is on DePortola Road in Temecula, across from Special T. It's still there (an Arabian farm now, I think), as he sold it some time ago.

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:13 pm

petersd wrote:Jack Klugman's place, "El Rancho de Jaklin," is on DePortola Road in Temecula, across from Special T. It's still there (an Arabian farm now, I think), as he sold it some time ago.

The one thing that always confused me was that they would claim that Jacklin Klugman stood his whole career at El Rancho. I know he stood at least 2 years at Mira Loma because I have pictures of him from '86 and his name on the gate as you go into the farm.

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

Postby [email protected] » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:54 am

petersd wrote:Jack Klugman's place, "El Rancho de Jaklin," is on DePortola Road in Temecula, across from Special T. It's still there (an Arabian farm now, I think), as he sold it some time ago.

I was sure that Jack Clugman had purchased or had interests in the Riverside TB Farm for at least a short time. I don't believe that his stallion stood there, but could it have been where he was foaled?

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

Postby [email protected] » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:06 am

Sam, you say you lived on Campbell...do you remember Prewitt Horse Trailers? He had a welding shop. Later built the very ugly 3 horse fiberglass trailer in his later years. It looked like something from outer space.

I met Bob Prewitt when I was about 14...he used to help us kids a lot. Tried to teach me to rope...Ha! However, my little mare was a pretty good "hazer" for the local "doggers" practice in Gardena, at Bill Moores Arena.

Bob also was the originator of the fiberglass horses, bulls, chickens, etc...he was in Hawthorn, Ca. at the time. Those fiberglass animals are still going around. He did sell out to another company, with a 10 year non-compete. He also designed and built fiberglass horse trailers in the early 50's.

Later he designed the very ugly 3 horse fiberglass trailer, that looked like something from outer space. It did not sell well.

At one time I lived at the Lyn-Bar Ranch...when Bob Hawkins leased it...it was called the Double Rocking R at Lyn-Bar. The training track was my front yard...loved it!

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:07 am

I believe that Klugman did own a piece of the farm for a while. He was on something of a streak at the track at the time, with Jacklyn Klugman and Akinemod, a very fast G2 stakes winning filly.

Sam

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:26 pm

[email protected] wrote:Sam, you say you lived on Campbell...do you remember Prewitt Horse Trailers? He had a welding shop. Later built the very ugly 3 horse fiberglass trailer in his later years. It looked like something from outer space.

Not off the top of my head. I remember there being a big lot with horse trailers somewhere, but I was more or less smack in the middle of urban hell. Corner of Campbell and Crest is only about 10 miles from Tyler Mall. There were little pockets of land that hadn't been built on yet, but not many of them.

The guy who owned the horse I leased lived on a plot that stretch backwards from Crest to the top of the hill and the backside was open land down to Roberson Road. Last time I was in the area, it was straight up ghetto (my old house now had wrought iron bars on all the windows and my beautiful stucco archway had this ugly iron gate/fence coming off it ... grass was all dead and brown) and the land had been broken up and built into low cost housing.

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

Postby [email protected] » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:31 am

Sam...I know exactly what you are talking about "it was straight up ghetto". On my trip down south this summer, I went by my old "home house"...right smack dab in the middle of "ghetto"...51st st & Western Ave. A week before, there had been a "drive by" 4 blocks over...it was pretty scary to say the least...but got a chance to see the place, talk to the family who owns it now...I had been longing to go back for years, also went by my High School...Manual Arts....Glad I did go back...lots of childhood memories. I stabled my horse in Gardena, and from time to time would ride down the middle of Vermont Ave...to 51st street thru the alleys, to home. Kept my mare in the back yard, and would ride around to visit all my friends that were not "horsey"...then back to Gardena. I was a crazy kid and now I'm a crazy senior..Pat

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:28 pm

[email protected] wrote:Sam...I know exactly what you are talking about "it was straight up ghetto". On my trip down south this summer, I went by my old "home house"...right smack dab in the middle of "ghetto"...51st st & Western Ave. A week before, there had been a "drive by" 4 blocks over...it was pretty scary to say the least...

My old place was ghetto when I left almost 20 years ago. About a month before we moved out, the guy up the street shot his girlfriend. I remember hearing the gun and spending the night sleeping on the floor.

There are reasons people say you can never go home again.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:36 pm

Pedigree@... says:>>>On my trip down south this summer, I went by my old "home house"...right smack dab in the middle of "ghetto"...51st st & Western Ave.<<<

Woa, that's been ghetto for a long time. Although it shouldn't be since the CHRA (California Housing & Redevelopment Agency) has been handing out taxpayer money like its going out of style to minority builders to build new, affordable housing. I worked for one of those developers. He would build these gorgeous apartments that would be broken down dumps within a couple of years. (He would fix things and they'd be broken again within a week...deliberately!) That's what happens when you "hand" people things instead of give them the tools to help themselves.

Pardon my political incorrectness, but that brought back a ton of frustration!

BJ
Horse of the Year

So very off topic...but!

Postby BJ » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Hey...speaking of the ghetto...maybe we should round up all the gang members here and ship them to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight the gang members there. That would bring new meaning to gang warfare...the Crypts v The Insurgents & Taliban. :twisted:

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

Postby [email protected] » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:01 pm

BJ...I have to say that 51st street...all old houses...looked pretty good, it seems that the owners, tennants took a little pride in their places. I lived there, the same house, in the late 30's thru 1958, off and on. The parts that I drove, Western Ave and Vermont...where dirty and trashy. Pat