California people

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

California people

Postby Sam » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:30 pm

Michael, BJ, whomever ... help me out, here.

When I was a little kid (20+ years ago) I used to live in Riverside, grandparents were in San Bernardino.

I vaguely remember the drive to their place and having to pass a fairly decent sized farm, I think it was called West Coast Thoroughbreds or maybe Gold Coast Thoroughbreds.

All I can remember is the part of the drive (I think the road was Amaragosa or something like that); you crested this hill and the farm was white plank fencing backed right up to the hill on the right side of the road, empty field on the left. I'm almost positive there was a white stucco wall, kind of like the one Mira Loma has at their entrance, that had the name of the farm on it. Little farther down the road, there was a four-way stop; no red/yellow/green light or a sign, but one of those yellow flashing single red lights.

Does that ring any bells?

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:56 pm

I'm scanning the cobwebs and can come up with only several ideas.

The West Coast TB Farm was adjacent to a major river (a California river, you know, paved) and ran parallel to the freeway. The farm was later owned by Bruce McNall and is now a major layup farm for the tracks. As I recall, primarily chain link fencing.

Kerr Stock Farm is in Moreno on Hwy 60. Its original (1950's) entrance was on the highway, but was shifted to a side street in the 60s. The original entrance did have a stucco or brick wall. White plank fences.

In Colton, the Beckett Ranch borders the SB freeway, chain link, I think.

Further out, in Beaumont, was Three Rings Ranch, with a brick entrance, with chain link and plank fences. Beautiful place.

There was a Riverside TB Farm on Wallace St. but I never was there.

Do you remember what section of freeway you were on?

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:06 pm

Michael wrote:The West Coast TB Farm was adjacent to a major river (a California river, you know, paved) and ran parallel to the freeway. The farm was later owned by Bruce McNall and is now a major layup farm for the tracks. As I recall, primarily chain link fencing.

...snip ...

Do you remember what section of freeway you were on?

Never really on a freeway. It was the back roads out through Rialto to SB I think. I remember having to pass those big white oil tanks (that they used to like to blow up about once ever 5 years), and the undulating road that always made your stomach drop like a rollar coaster if you went thru there at the right speed.

I think it might be McNall's place. Is that the one out by the Santa Ana river bottom that runs all the way out to Norco near Mira Loma/Limonite Road and crosses under Van Buren Blvd? I'm positive it had "Coast" in the name somewhere since I called them once when I was young, stupid kid and wanted to volunteer as stable help.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:30 pm

McNall's place runs parallel to a freeway (the one below and parallel to the SB Fwy). McNall installed a grass turf course, one of the first of its kind. All very visible from the freeway.

But you say this farm is NOT on a freeway, but in a pass of some kind.

OK, I'm remembering. The McNall place was Riverside TB Farm. Now Emerald Meadows Farm. There was another farm on a perpendicular route and I believe that was West Coast TB Farm. Managed by an ex jock, Larry Gilligan, I think. I once bought a mare there. A training track with internal grass paddocks in the front, barns behind them. Not a real big place. Fences?? I think this must be the place.

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:38 pm

Michael wrote:OK, I'm remembering. The McNall place was Riverside TB Farm. Now Emerald Meadows Farm. There was another farm on a perpendicular route and I believe that was West Coast TB Farm. Managed by an ex jock, Larry Gilligan, I think. I once bought a mare there. A training track with internal grass paddocks in the front, barns behind them. Not a real big place. Fences?? I think this must be the place.

humph. This is going to drive me nuts until I can remember. Good thing I'm taking my Grandmother home this week, I may have to go wandering around and see if I can find it (or at least where it used to be).

I'm going to guess both places are out of business now?

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:55 pm

No, Emerald Meadows (nee of McNall) is a very thriving layup and rehabilitation farm managed by one of my favorite people in the business, Nikki Hunt. She lives for her horse's happiness.

West Coast TB is not in the directory, but that doesn't mean it hasn't changed names.

Nikki could help you figure it out.

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:03 pm

Thanks, Michael.

That'll at least point me in the right direction. If I can find Emerald, I should be able to figure out if Gilligan's old place is the one I'm thinking of.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:44 pm

Any time, my dear.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:27 am

Isn't Emerald Meadows off the 60 on the way to Riverside? I'm sure I've seen the sign.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:53 pm

Sorry Sam,

Not at all familiar with Riverside area. If I can't see (or smell) the ocean from where I am, I panic! :wink:

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:10 pm

BJ wrote:If I can't see (or smell) the ocean from where I am, I panic! :wink:

Yeah, I can most assuredly relate on that.

I've actually started getting panic attacks out here. There's a stretch of road by my house ... you can see for 20 miles in some directions ... no houses or anything. Just flat desert wasteland until it hits the mountains ... and I can feel those mountains moving in closing in. It's very disconcerting to know that I can drive for over 2 hours in any direction and I will STILL be in the middle of vast desert nothingness.

And the UFOs keep buzzing my house, killing my cell phone. :wink: All four bars, full signal and then all of a sudden *poof* call drops for no reason, but you still have a full signal. Something happened a couple months ago ... all the car fobs to remotely unlock your car doors went bad. Effected a couple hundred people in this area. Mass weirdness. Someone blamed it on some hi-freq signal tower getting jammed.

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:29 pm

wow vegas is a crazy place my husband just got back from being stationed there for a couple of weeks. it was the first time i had visited. such a strange hottness there. but such a neat city.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:11 am

Sam,

I thought all the UFO's & crazies were in Pahrump with the Nuclear waste dump. 8)

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:56 am

BJ wrote:Sam,

I thought all the UFO's & crazies were in Pahrump with the Nuclear waste dump. 8)

Pahrump is "over the hump". All the nutso are in Rachael (ooooo ... that sounds perverse).

Did you know that just about the entire southern half of Nevada is a no fly zone? It's all military test ranges.

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Postby Inthe951 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:29 am

Hello.

I live in Riverside, Mira Loma area and think I can help you discover the place you are looking for. I know there is a TB farm that faces Rubidoux Nature Center which is where the River Bottom Runs. There is also a TB farm off of Limonite that is across the street from a big "sale" horse place. Does any of this help? :D
-Meg