Bobby Frankel's post Ruffian H (G1) comment re: Sightseek

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

FOS
Freshman Sire

Bobby Frankel's post Ruffian H (G1) comment re: Sightseek

Postby FOS » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:45 pm

Hello everyone

After the G1 Ruffian (at Belmont)...Bobby Frankel was asked when he first felt that Juddmonte's super-star race mare Sightseek might be special.

Instead of making some typical generic comments...he basically said that when he first saw her he was taken by her incredible shoulder and forearm. He mentioned no other body part(s)...simply the shoulder and forearm...and specifically expounded on Sightseek's great shoulder.

I found Frankel's comments and insight to be extremely interesting.

It has been my observation that what we have seen and experienced in recent years are pinhookers driving the weanling, yearling and 2 year-old sales segments of the industry.

My experience is that often (or maybe "usually" is a better choice of words) pinhookers demand a mandatory huge hind quarters (deep and thick) on their purchases. Obviously a pinhooker wants more than just a huge hind end on their purchases...but it is evident that such a butt looks great at the 2 year-old sales...does not hurt when attempting to go a rocket-fast eighth or a quarter is the goal...and has therefore become a required style of body-part (of horses they select for purchase) at the weanling or yearling sales.

Rarely do I hear a comment from a pinhooker regarding a shoulder.

Knowing that their potential buyers may be pinhookers searching for the prototype look that many have come to desire and/or require...I believe that many breeders have sent their mares to stallions that offer a high probability of providing that look.

If you attend the sales and/or you are a seller...you are probably aware of the huge hindquarters that pinhookers have basically come to require.

As we all know...great equine athletes come in all shapes and sizes...but if there is a most common physical thread among the great (two turn) fillies and mares...colts and horses...I believe it is an exceptional shoulder, not the huge quarters that pinhookers seem to covet.

I believe that an impressive shoulder often distinguishes the greats from the not so greats...as trainer Bobby Frankel apparently does also.

What are your thoughts, observations and/or experiences.

Respectfully

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:19 pm

I absolutely believe people pay too little attention to shoulder conformation. Straight legs MAY help them stay sound. A large powerful hindquarters will probably give them the power to run fast for at least short distances. A good shoulder is absolutely critical to give a horse the long efficient stride to get even 6f in good company. Conformational analysis is about looking at the whole horse, not just a few of the parts. IMO.

Opti-Mate
Weanling

Postby Opti-Mate » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:53 am

I truly believe that the front end is what pulls a horse along through the stretch. If not, what difference would switching leads make? Shoulder angle is a huge factor to me. It dictates the amount a horse can reach out and pull. I look at the depth from the point of the shoulder to the top of the withers along that angled line.
Breed a true racehorse, not an expensive pet!

Sandi in Florida
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Sandi in Florida » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:22 am

I always look at shoulders too and have always thought they are underrated in conformation discussions. I also look at how the neck fits into the shoulder and where the withers is located/how high it is.
you give, you get
love and protect
and good will always follow you
--Yellowman