Sermononthemount

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Sermononthemount

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:37 pm

The bad news is that Sermononthemount was entered in a 5K claiming race after placing in 3 stakes races as a 3 year old including a 2nd place in the grade 3 Indiana Derby last year. Apparently, it was a dump job, and Sermononthemount was claimed today.

The good news is the now 4 year old colt was claimed by Joe Sharp, who I believe is a very good trainer. Maybe Sharp will get Sermonnthemount to return to his old form. If not, 5K is not very much to pay for a race horse, so I hope that Sermononthemount is capable of returning to his previous form.

I don't know if Sermononthemount suffered some kind of injury that makes it impossible to come back to what he was. Maybe if he has some time off and comes back next year, it would help. Just don't know what the situation is with him.

BTW, Sermononthemount finished 2nd in the 5K claiming race today at the Fair Grounds.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Sermononthemount

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:45 pm

Joe Sharp was the trainer of Girvin, who has the same sire as Sermononthemount, Tale of Ekati. Maybe that was part of the reason that Sharp claimed Sermononthemount. Girvin won a bunch of graded stakes races including the Grade 1 Haskell Stakes and well over a million dollars.

Maybe a good place to start would be to enter Sermononthemount in starter races until Sharp can get him back to his best form. Of course, Joe Sharp might have a better plan.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:42 pm

Oh oh! Sermononthemount is entered in another 5K claiming race on 12/15. This does not look like good news. Maybe someone will claim him and try to make him a regional stallion someplace. After all, he is graded stakes placed and he is from the Storm Cat sire line, which is the hottest line in the country right now. There are a lot of stallions out there that have never won or placed in a graded stakes race.

I hope that Sermononthemount is not just going to run in low priced claiming races until he can't race again, and then, who knows. His future does not look good for him right now.

Apparently, injuries have made him not capable of being the race horse that he used to be.
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:05 am

All but the highest class runners have no future as stallions because the odds are against them for good reason. Studies show what common sense suggests that your chances of getting a high class runner is proportional to the racing ability of the sire and dam. You can only pass on what you yourself have, more or less. Sotm's best Equibase speed figure was a 94. Top sires will rarely run anything less than a 100 in their prime. I think Heart to Heart (standing for $5k) has about 10 races over 100. The math of breeding and raising foals requires a tradeoff between costs for stud fees vs. raising the horse, but those mare/foal/weanling care expenses are what really cost the small breeder, not the stud fee. In that case you need the absolute best stud you can afford to give your foal its best chance whether it be in the sales ring or on the track. Ironically, a horse like Sotm might outperform Flightline, a real longshot, but will never get a chance to try because no small breeder can afford such a financial outlay and risk upfront. Tale of Ekati, and his two sons at Darby Dan are listed as 'private' and I suspect are available cheap despite top race records. Tale of Ekati has sired a millionaire or two. I suspect something might work if there was an extraordinary factor - like a son of Galileo or a horse that had flashed extraordinary brilliance before injury (Maclean's Music) but good luck finding one of those for a low claiming tag. Madelyn knows a thing or two about taking a crack with a longshot stud that still had promise.

I actually considered this year trying to form a group to buy/stand a G2sw, mult G1 placed, stud who's earned close to $1mil. who had dropped into running in claimers. Probably available for $25k or less. But the costs of trying to get something like that going are exhorbitant.

But if you pull out your checkbook for $5k, find a farm that will do the stud duty affordably, let us know. We're all race trackers and have been known to take a gamble of one sort or another, other wise we wouldn't be here, and it would be fun to watch and root for ya.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pm

Actually, Tale of Silence at Darby Dan is Tale of Ekati's full brother, not his son. I think that Sermononthemount was a better racehorse than T of E's son at Darby Dan, Tale of Verve, until recently when he apparently got hurt.

Yes, the odds of Sermononthemount becoming a stallion at a big farm is about a zillion to 1. It is possible that he might go to a small farm as a regional stallion, if not likely. There are stallions that have never won or even placed in a stakes race. I know of one owner/trainer that used his low priced claiming horse to sire another low priced claimer.

I just hope that Sermononthemount has a happy retirement someplace if not as a stallion. He was a good racehorse last year and is graded stakes placed and placed in a couple of other stakes. He isn't much of a racehorse now, probably due to injuries.

Anyway, he was claimed again last Thursday for $5,000., so who knows how things will end up for him. I Hope something good happens.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:50 am

Well, I guess we can rule out a stud career for Sermononthemount. I just found out that he has been gelded. Must be the guy that just claimed him had it done. Anyway, a stallion career for him was a long shot anyway. Hope for a happy home for Sermononthemount after he is done racing, but that may be a long shot as well.
Shawklit Won.