Luck

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm

shammy that's an old school car they have all kinds of front leg room

need to see more of the claim girl. she's smokin.

i like Julio too. did not know that kid was killed. that's F'ed up. i don't like the brit guy
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 pm

My first car was a 1953 Chrysler Windsor four door sedan. It was as big as a "tank." You could sit five abreast in the back seat and four in the front. Best party car I ever owned. That car on Luck was an older model car but not that dated. Couldn't tell but maybe it was a Camaro. You might have gotten two butts comfortably between the steering wheel and seat of my old Windsor, but no way are you going to doing it in that "sport" model.

But then again, American ingenuity did put men on the moon.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:17 pm

A third fatality on the set of Luck. Apparently the horse reared, fell and hit her head. Yikes.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/hbo-racing-dra ... 15734.html
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 am

they stopped filming on the show becuase the horse got spooked and reared up.. I am all for horse saftey, seriously I am but, they are horses. sometimes stuff like this happens.

if this show gets cancelled beucase of this i'm going to be uber pissed off. this is a damn good show.

- Einstein

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 pm

hi bdw0617

Bummer...

...the following info was released on MSN just a short while ago; 7:23PM EST to be exact.

HBO cancels 'Luck' following horse deaths
March 14, 2012, 7:23 PM EST
WENN

The producers of Dustin Hoffman's hit TV series "Luck" have announced they are cancelling the show following the death of a horse on Tuesday.

Below is the link...

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=711089

Best to ya.

Respectfully

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 am

chicken shits...bowed to pressure :roll: ...proves they have really no clue to the day to day happenings with horses all over the world ..not just on the track.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:45 pm

That series rode it's luck too far! I have been on movie and ad shoots at racetracks and horse welfare is not front and center. OK one death is unfortunate,two is a worrying problem that needs fixing fast but three is unacceptable. I am sure that the actors were not too pleased about events going on around them either . Please don't tell me that these things happen all the time so we should just shrug it off. If they were filming in WV then I would not be surprised but somebody dropped the ball bigtime and the only choice they had was the correct one.This has nothing to do with PETA or the Humane Society ,but about us as a society and what we will condone in the name of "Entertainment".

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm

The reviews weren't all that great and I thought the show was a little slow on plot and acting, but I was hoping that it would get a second wind and continue.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm

On the Paulick blog, someone commented they didn't know what all the fuss was about, since TV shows regularly knock off 10 or more people..

I just couldn't resist pointing out that the 10 or more people don't actually DIE in the making of those TV shows..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm

what it sounds like to me is that it was just poor planning. they probably went on the cheap with the horses and the workers to look after them. they would have been better off paying a real trainer a fee to worry about the horse management. maybe a guy without a lot of horses to look after who can supplement his income by making sure everyything and everyone is okay at all times and things are done a certain way. things like this are things that non horse people skimp over.

- Einstein

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:35 pm

All the best most careful planning in the world cannot prevent a horse from spooking, rearing, falling, and hitting its head. A freak accident like that is something that simply isn't foreseeable or preventable, even by the most careful of trainers.
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 pm

If anyone has seen the Buck Brannaman documentary, he discusses his role as an advisor to the film Horse Whisperer. No one would listen to him until one day, one of the trick horses they were using wouldn't work. Buck stepped in and used his own horse and the scene was shot with one take.

Luck appeared to me as a show that was somewhat based on the realities of the industry, but more on the imagination of the writer and his or their sense of the industry. The writer (s) had apparently never handled a horse and in the case of horseracing "trick" horses need not apply.

The shame is that Luck could have been a great series. Sadly, the producers sucked not the idea.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:41 am

bdw0617 wrote:what it sounds like to me is that it was just poor planning. they probably went on the cheap with the horses and the workers to look after them. they would have been better off paying a real trainer a fee to worry about the horse management. maybe a guy without a lot of horses to look after who can supplement his income by making sure everyything and everyone is okay at all times and things are done a certain way. things like this are things that non horse people skimp over.

Matt Chew was in charge of the horses. He's a good guy and quite reputable.

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Re: Luck

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:10 am

bdw0617 wrote:the show's pilot was tonight. thought it was pretty good. Not boardwalk empire/sopranos good but defiantly watchable. pretty realistic.

in case you missed it you can watch it here

http://www.1channel.ch/tv-2604679-Luck/ ... -episode-1

just click on any of the links and enjoy.

I never watched it---not at all to my taste---but I cannot stand the fact that PETA stuck its nose in there and shut it down.
Somebody bet on the gray!

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Wilf:
I have been on movie and ad shoots at racetracks and horse welfare is not front and center

I don't know where - i.e. in what jurisdiction the movie shoots you've been on were, but I had the experience of visiting my sister in L.A. within the last two years when a commercial shoot was being filmed in her home/yard. The purpose was to film a commercial for some product - it may have been for life insurance or something like that - really can't remember now. One of the prime stars - of limited duration/exposure in a shoot that took all day in order to produce sufficient fillm for what would become a 1 minute TV advertisement - was a dog.

That dog had quite an entourage: a primary handler, the handler's assitant/rep. (who was to be on hand and take over the leash anytime the handler had to step away for even a minute), a Film Industry Animal Actors' rep to preveiw the scene to be shot, check out the environment in which the shoot was made (my sister's back deck and yard, the side driveway), to reveiw/approve of how the dog was motivated to perform and to double check that all the adequate supplies (water, food, shade, resting place, etc.) were on location and adequate. Furthermore there were very strict time guidelines for how long a scene involving the dog could take in a continual sequence before the dog got a mandatory 'rest'. Additionally the people hired to do the commercial shoot had someone on their staff 'dedicated' to liase all day long with the dog's handlers throughout the day as their sole job/responsibility. No one wanted to lose one precious minute of the very limited shooting time allowed for the dog to be acting on camera due to some kind of unforseen issue. Finally the dog had a "double" on location - for shooting distance scenes that didn't require doing any tricks other than to 'heel' alongside an actor as they walked down the driveway (shot at a distance) and to walk thru some of the other scenes in substitute for the 'real dog actor (for light check/blocking purposes before the 'star' dog was called upon to perform). That dog - an elegant and very wise Golden Retriever type dog was a true professional who went about her job with great purpose, accepted her rewards and for the most part was quite willing to deal patiently/kindly with her many admirers on the set when she wasn't shooting (i.e. accepting pats on the head with her handlers' approval/permission). I believe she was the same "golden" (or at least one of them) that starred with Clint Eastwood in his then latest movie - can't recall the title but it was about an ornery, older lonester - Eastwood - with a dog and his old beat up truck + a 50's vintage car in the garage that befriended a youngster in one of LA's rough transitional neighborhoods.

I really can't say that animal 'actors' used in film industry endeavors in California are not treated well and protected to the extreme. There was an infant also involved in this shoot and I did not see where the dog had any less care and attention to her needs, wants, desires - real or imagined - than did the infant human actor.