Ramsey Suspended and Fined

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:20 pm

LSB wrote:This is a quote from the TB Times article talking about the fact that the trainer was a former nun:

<<"I didn’t have to make a decision," Conner told Daily Racing Form. "It was wrong.

"When something like this happens, the owner is hurt," she said. "The trainer is hurt. The rider is hurt. But the biggest loser is the industry.">>

Frankly, in my opinion, this is all much ado about nearly nothing. All Conner had to do was say no to the offer. As far as we've been told there wasn't any coercion involved. She can be as sanctimonious as she wants about what happened but the person who damaged the industry wasn't Ramsey, it was Conner herself.
exactly.......................

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:14 pm

Does anybody get hurt, I don't know. The public get their scratches at the same time everyday and it is a fact of life. They wager on who is in. Is Ken Ramsey right for doing it, no, he is not. The public must be made to accept the integrity of racing in order to wager on it, in any manner or fashion. The milshaking in NY does terrible harm to the sport. I'm glad to see the respective venues take quick measures against this, in my opinion it was years too late. Milkshaking was a problem for years.

Integrity is key in horse racing. We are supported by the millions of fans who want to wager on our horses. They deserve a fair playing field and it is our responsibility to deliver it to them.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Ramsey

Postby BenB » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:06 pm

Intregity, is the only one thing, that,s realy important for this buisiness.
Each and every time something has gooiing on. Wagers and racing enthousiasts are leaving this buissiness, and you wan,t get them back.

Ben

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:54 pm

A letter to the Editor in this week's TB Times:

"I read with great sadness the announcement that Ken Ramsey had been fined $25,000 and suspended from racing for seven days for "attempting to bribe" an owner-trainer to scratch a horse from a race at Turfway Park on December 31st.

My sadness is due to the fact that I know Ken Ramsey and know him to be an honest man who would never intentionally do an unfair or dishonest act. I have bought horses from Ken and owned horses in partnership with him. His word is his bond and he always acted with the highest integrity.

Ken loves the competition of our great industry. On the last day of the year, Ken's freshman Storm Cat sire, Catienus, was one winner away from being America's leading freshman sire of winners. Ken entered a maiden by Catienus at Turfway that was on the also-eligibles. He handicapped the race and called a couple of owners/trainers whose horses looked as if they would be longshots and he tried to negotiate a scratch. Obviously this was a mistake, but I do not consider this a dishonest act.

Ken Ramsey is one of the good guys. We need more people like him.

Brereton C. Jones
Airdrie Stud
Midway, KY"

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:46 pm

hi LSB

As you quoted Brereton Jones "He (Mr. Ken Ramsey) handicapped the race and called a couple of owners/trainers whose horses looked as if they would be longshots and he tried to negotiate a scratch. Obviously this was a mistake, but I do not consider this a dishonest act."

As Brereton Jones said "...OBVIOUSLY THIS WAS A MISTAKE..."

The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority investigated the incident...and apparently imposed a fine and suspension.

But not before Kentucky Horse Racing Authority Vice Chairwoman Whitfield was quoted "I thought the settlement should have come with tougher terms, stricter penalties." Whitfield said "The recent indictments in New York provided the background for the authority to be tougher on these kind of activities."

Case closed...suspension served...fine paid.

Good luck to all.

Respectfully

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:36 pm

I never said Ken Ramsey didn't make a mistake.

As I also quoted former Governor Jones: "...I do not consider this a dishonest act."

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:15 pm

hi LSB,

You wrote "I never said Ken Ramsey didn't make a mistake."

Fair enough...but I don't recall you saying that he did make a mistake...either. Obviously his friend Brereton Jones and the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority did.

Regardless..maybe it will add some finality to this event by referencing the apology that Mr. Ramsey expressed at the Eclipse Awards dinner...and the audience response...as reported in the Daily Racing Form by Jay Privman.

The Daily Racing Form's Jay Privman quoted Mr. Ramsey "To each of you - my family, friends, the racing industry, and the media - I truly apologize and ask for your forgiveness."

Privman wrote "Ramsey's body language was that of an embarrassed, shamed man, and he walked off with his shoulders slumped, even though much of the black-tie crowd responded to his apology with a standing ovation."

Best to you LSB...

and good luck to all.

Respectfully