Ramsey Suspended and Fined

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TBG
Maiden Special Weight

Ramsey Suspended and Fined

Postby TBG » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:54 pm

The story is on the Blood-Horse and Thoroughbred Times web sites. This is just ridicules. Here is a person with lots of money in the public eye and a representative of the sport. He is one of three finalists for an Eclipse Award as outstanding owner of 2004. This is an embarrassment for the entire sport. Why would someone in position try to bribe people over a $7,500 claiming race? What is $25,000 and seven days to him? He got off way too easy.

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:05 pm

I just saw that :D
he sure believes in his horse lol

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:14 pm

Gill must have tipped off the authorities! :lol:
What a guy will do to be an eclipse award winner!

Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:19 pm

maybe he just like's to win....the horse he tried to get to scratch out...where did he finish ? last i think. what's the big deal ? do you think this does not go on every day in racing ? it does. lots of people will scratch out for a buck. would i ? no way . my answer has always been if your good enough you will beat me. but i dont think its any big deal one way or the other. i kind of think him being well known has more to do with it than anything else. i have never heard of anyone else being fined for this , have you ? and this is a daily thing across the country .

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:22 pm

Ryeno wrote:Gill must have tipped off the authorities! :lol:
What a guy will do to be an eclipse award winner!

Ryeno
that i wouldnt doubt....this guy will stop at nothing............EGO.

ef
Maiden Special Weight

Postby ef » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:25 pm

I heard that Ramsey wanted to get his horse, Ken's Cat, into the race so that Ken's Cat's sire, Catienus, could be the #1 Freshman sire in the nation by number of winners. Catienus is owned by the Ramsey's. Funnily enough, Catienus achieved this distinction anyways, with something like 19 winners from 47 foals.

TBG
Maiden Special Weight

Postby TBG » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:50 pm

If this kind of thing happens everyday, it's still not right. The big deal is that this shouldn't happen. A person in his position should be a role model and above that kind of thing. This sport doesn't need more black eyes. There are plenty of other negative things happening without having top owners being caught using unethical practices. That looks real good to perspective fans.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:12 pm

Should of given him at least 30 days instead of 7 days. Prick got off light if you ask me.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:31 pm

Oh come on you guys.With all the milkshakin,race fixin,9 time drug offenders jockeys getting reinstated, mistaken identies in a race,jocks riding fat,and guys from Nigeria trying to give ya 10 million bucks do you really think this matters?So friggin what,If that snitch trainer would have taken the money he offered to scratch she would have made more money than her horse did that day.I cant believe there is so much grief over this.He has been a model owner and it least his horses arent snappin their legs off once a week.Sounds like some people are jealous when someone does a little good! :roll:

Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

TBG
Maiden Special Weight

Postby TBG » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:58 pm

"...the milkshakin,race fixin,9 time drug offenders jockeys getting reinstated, mistaken identies in a race,jocks riding fat,and guys from Nigeria trying to give ya 10 million bucks do you really think this matters..."

That's exactly my point. There are too many negative things that need to be fixed. The sport doesn't need top owners offering bribes. The people that have influence should be leaders in correcting things. They should not be adding to the problems. Ramsey has influence. He just needs to use it in the right way. I'm talking about being a good example rather than a bad one. The "9 time drug offender jockey" is also in a position to be a good example, but he has taken the other road as well. Just because these things happen, doesn't mean they should be accepted. The sport needs people with integrity. Don't you agree?

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:14 pm

all right i agree.............only if we fix the "other 2 gaziooion things" starting with..................... we sell horse's for MEAT in this country !

reenci
Grade II Winner

true story

Postby reenci » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:25 pm

which reminds me.....i went to a public school in my home town..{can't you tell by my grammer ?} and there was this hamburg & hot place across the street actualy there were two place's ...one called pat's coffee shop....the other one's name was al's stand...during the meat shortage ...during the 70's... :roll: al's steak sandwich's which were city wide famous......were a little sweeter. and believe you me when us kid's found out...{we were real nosey }...we would stop by there on our way to "pat's" for lunch and yell out "2 steak's to go al, and leave off the saddle!" :lol: used to piss him off to no end. funny part was ...this guys family owned harness horse's.......i wonder what he did with the dud's.. :shock: .....true story.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:34 pm

TBG,

This instance isnt a black eye to our sport.The other things I listed are.When you use the word bribery it is too lose of a term.He was not bribing a jockey to stiff a horse,or trying to get the trainer with the best horse to scratch,he was trying to get a horse in off the also eligibles in a race that may have helped his chances to win the eclipse award.Mr Ramsey is a astute handicapper and a shrewd evaluator of talent,the person he offered the money to scratch was 30-1 morning line,basically the horse had no chance of winning and didnt get a cheque.I am not saying he is an angel with this move but tell me who was he hurting by doing this other than himself?How was he ruining the integrity of racing by getting hung on the eligbles in a race that over filed and was trying to get in?And TBG my post wasnt only regarded for you it was also regarded to the genius who thought he should get 30 days.Hmm let see,lets take a great owner who runs many horses and great stock and kick him out for 30 days and then he gets a really sour taste in his mouth,sells all of his horses and gets out of the game.How productive is that?Lose yet another good owner out of the game?I dont even feel it was needed to suspend him at all.IMO the 25k was enough for what I feel is a minor thing.And it brings me back to there are a lot of worse things going on out their that makes this pale in comparison.
Ryeno

TBG
Maiden Special Weight

Postby TBG » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:12 pm

I agree that there are alot worse things that go on in this sport and maybe no one was hurt in this incident. High profile, influential people whether owners, trainers, or jockeys are in a position to help make things better for the sport. As minor as this might be, it doesn't shed a good light on the industry. The fine is nothing to him, so the suspension might get a little attention. The governing bodies need to take control of things. I applaude the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority. Ramsey may be a good guy, that just used bad judgement here. You shouldn't blame a trainer for doing the right thing. And sometimes 30:1 horses do win. Maybe not in this case, but they do. There just needs to be more integrity from everyone, especially high profile people.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:58 pm

ef and TBG got it right on the head. 9 out of 10 trainers would have either scratched of told him a reason they didn't want to, then he would have asked somebody else. The big thing is he asked a goodie-two-shoes small time trainer who ratted him. He's not a big nasty gorilla in this business, he puts a lot in. I'm sure there a quite a few people on the board who have made money off of him. Hell, I'd love to have someone offer me some money to scratch a horse. It's all done before betting, so the public doesn't get screwed.

I don't really have a problem with him offering her a few grand to scratch. If she was smart, she would have taken it, it's probably the most she'll make on that horse anyway.