Is Bang Ok?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Is Bang Ok?

Postby adrienne » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:40 pm

I don't post here often, but I do lurk. I was watching the Sunshine Millions today mostly to watch Bang run.

NBC said Bang pulled up?? It was the other horse that broke down - but of course national TV is no help...

Anyone know?

~Adrienne

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:51 pm

It was actually Green Team that pulled up with My Cousin Matt hitting the rear. They said that Green Team may have to be put down. Hope not.

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:55 pm

Oh no, I hope not- I was going to watch but someone has settled into watching a movie on Sky- (no names :wink: )

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:58 pm

I should have wrote that better - they DID say that Bang pulled up.... I was just confused because from the video shown (which was very little) it looked like My Cousin Matt was the one that got the brunt of the breakdown, but they didn't show what was going on in the rest of the field.

The full charts aren't up - so I hope I'm not spreading bad information. But I do remember the announcer saying that Bang had pulled up as well.

~Adrienne

Northlight
Suckling

Postby Northlight » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:14 pm

Michael - this was the first race I've watched on TV where one of my "cyber community" friends owned the race - thanks for the thrill.

Hoping Bang is okay - he sure looked good out of the start!

Lei Owen
Allowance Winner

Postby Lei Owen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:14 pm

I was watching also. When Green Team pulled up, it looked like the one's behind pulled up too. The announcer mentioned Bang being affected.

I wouldn't count this race, Bang didn't get much of a chance to strut his stuff.
Laissez les bon temps rouller!

Linda in TX
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Linda in TX » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm

I thought Bang pulled up because of the break down, but the chart said Bang bled. He walked off.

judi
Allowance Winner

Postby judi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:02 pm

I hope Bang is okay.
Hope to hear from Michael soon.
Judi

Ramona
Allowance Winner

Postby Ramona » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:17 pm

Thank God, that Bang wasn't involved in the mishap! He looked good coming out of the gate and the Jock took him back as not to get in a speed duel...he must have bled badly to be pulled up. Smart Jock. So sorry, but he'll come back another day.

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:30 pm

Ramona wrote:Thank God, that Bang wasn't involved in the mishap! He looked good coming out of the gate and the Jock took him back as not to get in a speed duel...he must have bled badly to be pulled up. Smart Jock. So sorry, but he'll come back another day.
daily racing form chart quote "bang pulled up , returned bleeding from the nostrils, but walked off". lets all hope he's alright and just needs a rest to recover.ya still did the right thing mike in taking the shot.best of luck.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:39 pm

The track vet said on tv that Green Team had fractured both sesamoids(SP) in his LF. But, that was right after the race- don't know how accurate that was.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:53 pm

It's a horrible feeling when you see your horse being pulled up in a race. I can't imagine how hard that must be for the owners of Green Team. And I know Michael and Bang's connections had very unwelcome excitement today.

I had a horse for many years named Catch and Release. When he was about six, he was to race in the Lone Star Jockey Challenge with Chris McCarron to ride. All the top jockeys were there, and signing autographs, etc. Very exciting time for our $25K claiming race. Catch was a closing stalker, and had just started picking off horses, when Chris suddenly pulled him up at the top of the stretch. My trainer and I ran in horrow through the crowd with lumps in our throats and with our hearts racing. I'm not sure how we got through, since the crowd was huge near the rail and the winner's circle. It was a surreal experience.

Thankfully, as we strained to see as we neared the track, here came Catch, being led in, snorting and eager to run. He appeared fine, just disgruntled because they made him stop racing. Chris explained that he felt the horse take a bad step, and thought he was injured, so he pulled him up to protect him.

I know he was only thinking of the horse, but it seemed so senseless to us when we saw our horse was okay. We even had thoughts that the jockey had been paid off, or that he was losing his nerve. But jockeys have so much placed upon them, to make the right decisions in split-second timing, and to please all the connections who care about the horse. And as we all know from the headlines, they get injured, disabled, and/or killed no matter whether they make good or bad decisions.

So thankfully none of the other horses or riders were injured today, and additional tragedy was averted.
Rocking H

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:37 pm

Tough luck, Michael.

He'll get 'em next time.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:05 pm

I'm just glad Bang's OK. Having seen the film of Green Team's breakdown, I don't have much hope for him, but I sure hope I'm wrong.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

horselessinva
Newborn

Postby horselessinva » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:38 pm

Thoroughbred Times reports that Green Team was euthanized. :(

Bang bled and was walked off.