Jockey JOSH BOYD injured at Sunland

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ballymoss
Yearling

Jockey JOSH BOYD injured at Sunland

Postby ballymoss » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:54 am

It never seems to end. No sooner did we learn about Gary Boulanger then here comes another bad racing accident involving yet another jockey:

www.borderlandnews.com/stories/sports/t ... 9476.shtml

It's in the El Paso Times, by Matt Aguilar.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:29 pm

All the best wishes of the New Mexico racing community go out to Josh Boyd (29) for a swift and speedy recovery after his accident at Sunland Park.

His mount, Cuervo Brown, who broke down and was euthanized, was by Lemon Drop Kid out of multiple GSW millionaire, Mandy's Gold. RIP.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:33 pm

Josh was supposed to ride my QH colt this past weekend end. right now he is in a induced coma ( however you spell it) They really dont think he is going to make it. He has ridden for the farm i work for ever since he got his first start. really nice guy and quite talented with both TB and QH.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:05 pm

So sad, Brooke. Thanks for the update. Hope he beats the odds and pulls through okay.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Postby surprisewind » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:51 am

The last I heard a few days ago was that he is OUT of the medication induced coma, but due for another surgery. His mother is a nurse (i think at the hospital) and was not optimistic about his recovery -- said if he did wake up he'd not be himself ever again. There was serious frontal lobe damage along with the injury to his eye (regaining his sight is still up in the air).
BUT a few days ago, he was up talking, recognized people, and had gone back to being a bit of a smart-ass :) He even ambulated a little with assistance.
My uncle has spent a kazillion hours at his bedside and with his family, donated a bunch of stuff (including his favorite helmet with the bunny on it), and apparently the placement of a mare down there had something to do with it also.
His riding career IS kaput but his prognosis is markedly different from Brooke's post.
It's actually GOOD news. We got the call about him waking up almost a week ago and "did a little dance."

SummerLand
Weanling

Postby SummerLand » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:09 pm

ZiaLand wrote:His mount, Cuervo Brown, who broke down and was euthanized, was by Lemon Drop Kid out of multiple GSW millionaire, Mandy's Gold. RIP.

According to the Breeder's Cup Nomination, Cuervo Brown is not by Lemon Drop Kid or out of Mandy's Gold. He is by Just A Tune out of Brown Tiger.

Either way, sad news and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the rider.

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Postby surprisewind » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:53 pm

Thankfully, though he has a long road ahead of him he is ON the road.

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:18 pm

so glad he's out of the med. coma ive been in vegas and havnt been to work in 2 weeks so hadnt got the news. wonderful to hear! thanks suprisewind.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;

Now that's discouraging.

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Postby surprisewind » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:49 pm

I'll try to keep you posted.
It was so incredible that so many of the backstretch folks, AS WELL AS OWNERS, pitched in to help and supply things for the benefit auction, and are keeping track of his progress.

"There but for the grace of god go I."