Scipion

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Scipion

Postby Mahubah » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:20 pm

This one will please GWS for sure -- Scipion upset the Risen Star Stakes (G3) today. Might be coming to hand at the right time.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:01 pm

I have him in my Derby Fantasy stable. Check out his conduit profile. He should relish 1.25 miles. Whether he's good enough remains to be seen. My early choice (along with most everybody else) is Declan's Moon. Love his profile for getting the classic distance. A sleeper might be Malibu Moonshine.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

CdnDerbyFan
Weanling

Postby CdnDerbyFan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:34 pm

hahah. I'm sure GWS will be very much pleased. I was away and couldn't see the race but I am guessing from the chart that he ran a very strong race...was it as impressive as they say?

"got asked for run after entering the second turn, circled foes six wide for the drive, rallied determinedly and was along in time"
too many things and too many horses

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:33 pm

Scipion ran one heck of a race. He was far back early, made a big move on the turn and was really flying down the stretch. It looked like he really relished the extra distance. Here's hoping he makes it to the Derby.

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Scipion

Postby George William Smith » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:34 am

Posted a lengthy sad story about my betting on this day. but was lost in cyberspace when I clicked on preview.

In a nutshell, I only brought a few bucks to the track to bet on Scipion, but spent it all on early GSV bets. :cry: :cry:

When I had not a dime to spend and refused to spend more, the GSV hit a $35.40 horse at Gulf and another winner in the 11th at Gulf,, then two more at Fairgrounds, none of which I bet before Scipion hit the track. It lost the first 8 races, and since I also decided to bet some exactas and win threes, I was broke before the GSV won 4 of the last 5 races.

When Scipion hit the track, I was broke, tried to borrow $20 from a friend to bet on Scipion for a guy who had already gave me $20 to bet on him that I had lost early in the day. My friend was short of cash himself so I said what the hell and cheered for the Scipion winning even though I now owe my friend $276 for what he would have won with his $20 win bet.

I am as dumb as a sack of hammers. All I can say in my defense is that Scipion is a direct result of my breeding recommendations before I went brain dead.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:44 am

Oh, George, you are such a hoot! Best of luck to Scipion as he proceeds along the Derby trail.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Scipion

Postby George William Smith » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:20 pm

Want another hoot? Just entered the GSV data for Saturady, the last day of my month long study of betting the GSV and found that after losing the first 13 races in a row that day [hence why I went broke with what I brought to the track] that the GSV horse won the next 10 of 14 races. Arghh.
:P

Hopefully, Scipion's successful race will attract a couple of clients willing to pay for broodmare analyses so I can pay back my friend the money he should have won on Scipion
:oops:

BenB
Sophomore Sire

scipion

Postby BenB » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:13 am

George

You,ve asked for it. Although the payment has to wait, till Iam able to bet
on her.

What do you think of this one. Vestal Heights (HOL) 2001

Ben

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:43 am

LSB check the last 1/4 about 26.3 the Beyer was an ordinary 90

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Scipion

Postby George William Smith » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:30 am

Certainly has a wonderful pedigree, but don't know much about ERMINIUS in how he has done at stud. Lots of substance to the pedigree.

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Scipion

Postby George William Smith » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:41 am

Freddymo:
How did you get the 26.3 last eighth? From a replay of the race or was that 26.3 a measure from the leader with an eighth to go to the Scipion crossing the line. Since Scipion was coming from so far back I would think the watch had to be on him from when he hit the eighth pole until he hit the finish.

Note that the 3yo fillies rance almost 7/10ths faster in a previous race and the 4yo colts ran a second and half faster earlier so Scipion's race is not that impressive if one goes strictly by the time.

Mile and a sixteenth races are incredibly hard usually to get accurate last furlongs when the horse is not leading with an eighth to go.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

scipion

Postby BenB » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:34 am

George

He was a kind of a stallion in ownership by the neighbour man somewhat
150 miles away. I could lease her dam a year and a half free of leasing
costs. I thought when I saw him, it could be nice mating.

In our country by our standards he was dooiing well.
Got the first and the third home in our Derby (12 furlong turf) LR
last year (2004)
The third home was my filly. He gives somewhat late maturing eager type
of horses.
You only have to realize that our standards compare to for instance germany and france are very low, so we are gooiing to see how she fares
in germany.

Ben

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Scipion

Postby George William Smith » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:37 pm

Of course, I didn't take a very long look at her, but my impressions of how the two halves of the pedigree go together is very favourable. I hope you have a lot of luck and fun with her.

:D

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:59 am

Hallo,
Erminius is indeed a Germanbred sir and stood at first in my homecountry. Sadly he wasn't a great success here.

His damline traces to ERgina (by Alycidon) and imported to Germany by the than still existing "Waldfried Stud". Her line had produced several good winners, see Ebano, El Salto, Etzel and Elle Danzig. But ironically all her descents who became stallions failed at stud.

Egina traces to Trustful, btw it's the same branch as Surumu's.

Best regards, Bettina

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:59 am

GSV 1 1/16 races are very tough to gauge last quarter...Did some homework with others and watched replay over and over... The last 1/4 was real slow ugh... Although Scipion did have a reasonable last 1/16...not special.. the race fell apart..Scipion was the best of a very medicore field that will not be a key race in the future.. Scipion might get better as the distance goes up.. i bet the Vindication people loved the race... Gives them a graded 1/2 to validate There big boy.