Racehorse Equipment

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

SummerLand
Weanling

Racehorse Equipment

Postby SummerLand » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:51 pm

Ok, I am an avid fan and researcher at the moment with hopes of owning my own racehorse (or two) someday.

I was hoping some of the experts on this board could help me out with definitions and explanations of various types of racehorse equipment. I have been searching the Internet, but I have had no luck on getting anything really concrete. I have found articles mention “French blinkers” and different types of shoes, and things like “Sure wins”, but I have no idea what any of those are.

Could an expert (or experts) give me a rundown on some of the times of bits, saddles, and other types of equipment that are used with racehorses? It is surprising hard to find any information other than names!

Thanks in advance! :)

Sky Beauty
Suckling

Racehorse equipment

Postby Sky Beauty » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:19 pm

Blinkers come in several different cup styles, cup being the part that goes around the eye. Among others, there is a half cup, a full cup and a french cup is a very tiny cup, which allows for a large amount of side vision. I'd have to measure ours to be certain, but I'm thinking the actual width of the cup is only maybe 3/4 of an inch.
A sure win is a rubber piece that has a long strip that attaches to the headstall at the top, goes all the way down the center of the face, and then spilts over the nose, ending in a round rubber disc on each side that goes over the end of the bit. (it looks sort of like an upside down "Y") It helps keep the bit firmly in the horse's mouth. It's hard to explain in print, but just look for a photo of Seattle Slew when he was racing. He wore one. Here is a link to a photo that shows it, if I copied it right.
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:us ... n&start=12

SummerLand
Weanling

Postby SummerLand » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:44 am

Thanks for the information :) I have seen pictures with that piece on the bridle, but never knew what is was called.

Thanks again :D