Joe

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Joe

Postby Denise » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:10 pm

Did you hear what happened at Philly today? The race in which the Gallagher's former filly, Wyatt's High Noon, was entered and went (sort of) was declared a no contest because of a starting gate malfunction. Some of the gates opened at different times. How, who knows?
My hubby spoke to Bobby Robbins afterward and here's the kicker: They dropped a claim slip in for Wyatt, but because it was a NC, the claim was voided.
So she races, doesn't get her second place money, and they don't get her back. Sheesh.

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:49 pm

well you cant have both. i have flown out of state {ny} to boston only to have the races canceled 1 race before my race was to be run ...in fact this happened twice ..once in boston at suffolk, and once in PA ...the funny part is both times it was the same horse and both times a friend of mine from south florida flew up for the races. talk about snake bit.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:12 am

That's horrible Denise. I've been spotty up the track during the winter, too darn cold. My one horse up there bucked, so I pulled him off. That was terrible, they should really not let you lose a horse if you have no chance at purse money, that seems unfair. No contest should void all claims too. One thing I have to say about Charlie, he's pretty shrewd in the claim box for Bill and Linda and usually gets them a horse they can get out on.

I have a great Bill story. He hit big on Better Talk Now in the Sword Dancer at Saratoga. I was there with him. He loved the horse and it paid a ton. Here comes the Breeder's Cup, he told me he got distracted gabbing and didn't bet him. He paid huge. Typical Bill. I love those guys. We call Bill the "Exacta Slave". He can pick a good horse, but has to gimmick it up in the exacta. I always tell him to do WP on it, but he mostly loses on the exacta with his horse coming in. I usuallly bet his horses WP and do ok.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:05 am

I was up there today with Bill and Linda, had a good time. I haven't been up as much as usual in the winter and it was great to see them. We had a bunch of yuks and Bill did his usual. He had a nice horse spotted and tried to do the exacta with him. Clunk. He told me his father told him when he was young that he had "nonsense" in his head. Of course I told him his father was right. If I can get him to play straight, I might make a horseplayer out of him. It's been 5 years and still no luck, always the exactas.

Kimber8768
Newborn

Joe

Postby Kimber8768 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi Joe,

I read your post that you were present when Timely Writer and Ruffian each went down. That must have been awful. Do you think folks would read a book on Timely Writer? Is there enough interest in his life story?

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Not sure it would have enough appeal to sell. I would surely read it, I really liked the horse. Possibly a good submitted article to The Blood Horse, Thoroughbred Times or DRF. I've always like to hop in the car and drive up to Belmont or Aqueduct to see a good horse over the years. My dad used to go with me a lot. We always thought 5-6 hours of driving and a long Saturday was always worth it to see a good horse run. I used to go to the Haskell and Meadowlands Cup when they were good, not for awhile. I usually always go to the Belmont and really like the fall races at Belmont, Woodward and JCGC. Used to love the Marlboro too in the old days, it was the fall triple crown.

Hope you can go to the PA Breeder's dinner this year, it's in May in Hershey. Maybe see if you can drag Betsey and Ronnie. That darn Watchman's Warning won again just recently. I think he's 9 or something, running on the turf, was either Santa Anita or Gulfstream, if I remember.

Myself and the Mrs. usually stay over at Hotel Hershey and they started giving us a break last year on rooms. We have a good time, we usually stay up a bit with Bernie Daney and don't worry about getting back that night. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive for us from Malvern (sorry, no lead-foot).

I've got a bunch of horses for sale if you know of anybody. All of them are pretty nice. I'm trying to direct more of the cash flow back to the mares and wanted to use the racing stock to get them to better stallions. I've got 2 3YO's almost ready to go, a 2YO filly, a yearling Twining filly and this fall I'll have a Salt Lake weanling. Let me know if you know anybody, I'm willing to deal as I'm the breeder and do get something on the racing side.

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Joe

Postby Denise » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:47 am

I mentioned that to Wendy and Travis (your horses for sale) so I'll talk to them again about it. I'd like to go to the breeder's dinner, now that we have one PA bred yearling, and one already a week late!
Did you hear Linda and Bill claimed a nice Partner's Hero filly: Jazzabell?
She's out of a Secretariat mare. Low level claimer, but Linda likes her and Bobby Robbins liked her.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:21 pm

I wrote a nice message to you and the site crashed.

Those 2 are fairly nice, not KY Derby horses, but everyone who's been around them likes both of them.

Please do the Breeder's events, they are fun. We only have a few.