Your thoughts - recent purchase: Coban

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

Your thoughts - recent purchase: Coban

Postby jellac » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:58 am

A neighbor just went in with a trainer buddy of his to buy this horse - at Turfway I think.

He is an intact 3YO by SIPHON out of the Northern Flagship mare Hoh Flyer. The pedigree intrigued me a lot - although dominantly S. American it's just full of French thoroughbreds including some rare non-Tourbillion links back to Herod.

This colt has only had a few outs and apparently didn't show much...I'm just curious as to how those of you who race - or follow the races - more than I do would view his past performances and his future potential with regard to his pedigree?

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:27 pm

Haven't had a nibble on this so maybe I'll try being more specific:

Is there any reason why you wouldn't consider gelding this horse to see if perhaps that has been holding him back or distracting him?

Secondly - what do you think, based on his pedigree - he might do on the grass?

BenB
Sophomore Sire

your thoughts

Postby BenB » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:01 am

Send him to the turf right away, if possible with some distance

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 am

Hi Jellac

I think Ben is right on. This horse is bred for grass and distance. His conduit mare, Gageure, is the same as the fine turf sire, Silver Hawk.
I wouldn't think he would show much sprinting, but should improve a lot routing. The meet at Kentucky Downs might be worth a shot.

Profile of 2-4-5-9-3 (6/12) (0.65)

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:52 am

Gee, there are a lot of turf opportunities between now and September... Colonial Downs, Keeneland, Churchill Downs, etc. The uniqueness of the Kentucky Downs meet is, of course, that it is turf only, but something like 10 days long, and tied into Turfway's fall meet. Also, the course is much more like a European course, undulating. And they can move the rail anywhere they want, it is a massive grassy field... pretty far from anything.

Keeneland opens April 8th. CD opens April 30th. Looks like a weed horse to me....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:03 am

Of course Madalyn is right. There are a lot of turf opportunities before Kentucky Downs opens in the fall. I still think that racecourse might be worth a try. I had tremendous success wagering on profiles like Coban's at that track last year. The undulating European style configuration is just the ticket for stoutly bred athletes like Coban, especially in the longer distance races. I can't wait for this years meet to start.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

BenB
Sophomore Sire

coban

Postby BenB » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:14 am

If there is something at around 10 forlongs, I like to bet on the race,
and not just one dollar. I think he ( coban) needs a little juice, ( not too firm)

Ben

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 pm

ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED - I want to thank you very much for your thoughts concerning my question. I just took a quick look at the first three dams and 5 gen pedigree overall and thought much the same thoughts: this is one for the grass going long but I wasn't as familiar with the S. American pedigree of Siphon, nor the female family futher back and their affinity for distance races on yielding turf surfaces. I'll relay to my neighbor.....and we'll see what comes of it.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

your thoughts

Postby BenB » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:37 pm

Yielding is not what I ment to say, but it isn,t impossible.
I as european would say good or slower. Only not too firm.

Ben