Good, smaller stable, trainers in CA and rates?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Good, smaller stable, trainers in CA and rates?

Postby tbrace » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:32 pm

Who are some names that we trust of people, male or female, who have smaller race stables in CA, North or South, and about what are their rates? Anyone have some good ideas? We'd really appreciate a post or PM. We Have a couple of nice two year olds we are thinking of heading that way, because both are Cal-Bred, and look good. May partner with the right group, or with the right trainer.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

CA trainers

Postby tbrace » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:14 pm

Anyone?

rosethorn2
Newborn

Postby rosethorn2 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:34 pm

I would recommend John Buc at GGF...I used him for awhile with a filly we just couldn't keep sound and he was open and honest and a decent day rate. Won't rush a baby however.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

trainers`

Postby tbrace » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks a lot. I will check it out.

steve
Weanling

Postby steve » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:59 pm

My favorites are Art Sherman, John Anderson, Cliff Delima, John Martin, Allen Severinson. I know there are many others just can't think of them right now. These are honest people who will take good care of your horse. Not that others won't. I just know them personally

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:52 pm

Ed Moger is a top trainer and a great guy. His is an average size stable, and winning at a great clip right now.

Brian Pitnick is a newer trainer, a converted lawyer (don't hold that against him, though), who trains young horses the way I like them trained--methodically and conservatively. He's a very bright guy with a very small stable.

I'd check with the CHRB for dirty drug tests on any trainer before I hired him. Since Jan 1, more information about trainers is available to the public thanks to the new public information act. It's about time!

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

trainers

Postby tbrace » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:40 am

Thanks, Michael,

I was taken aback by her comment, to say the least. We don't owe anybody any money that I know of, and have never raced in California, but hope to soon. I am surprized to see such vitrol on this site. Almost everyone who posts appears to just be interested in thoroughbreds, not in character assassination. Too bad, and we hope it doesn't deter people from posting their usually very informative information.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:50 am

Agreed!

How are your two year olds bred? Did you breed or buy them?

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

trainers

Postby tbrace » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:55 pm

I must agree with Green Hills. Let's stick to talking about horses - they are more interesting than people, anyway!

ellen1mt
Newborn

Postby ellen1mt » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:53 am

I recommend Brian Pitnick. He is running our Creditcardpurchase Sun and will get her 3yo brother after he gets fit at Once Over farm. It takes awhile to go from a pasture in MT to the track in CA. Brian has done a good job for us and we are little bitty owner/breeders. We have horses in our front yard and are learning to hard way that trainers are not equal. Brian does not seem to go overboard on the drugs, which is a big problem. I don't believe in "better living through chemistry" Ellen

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:27 pm

My favorite trainer is Jay Robbins, Jay is very low key and won the BC Classic 2 years running with Tiz Now. Jay currently has 10 TB in his care.

Jays father now retired Dr. Robbins was a vet on the backside for many years.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

Postby Tairaterces » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:55 pm

louis finochio wrote:My favorite trainer is Jay Robbins, Jay is very low key and won the BC Classic 2 years running with Tiz Now. Jay currently has 10 TB in his care.

Jays father now retired Dr. Robbins was a vet on the backside for many years.

If they had only left TizBud with Jay things might have turned out different for the little Bud.

Louis . . .do you know Bruce Headley?? He is another wonderful trainer.

Tairaterces
"and Secretariat let no one down on the unforgettable afternoon of June 9, 1973, when he ran a hole in the wind"
~Bob Ehalt~

Avatar: Istabraq (Sadler's Wells x Betty's Secret by Secretariat) Champion Hurdler

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:28 am

Bruce Headley is a wonderful person, and great horseman.
Bruce has a new owner that bought 70 TB, mares that produced GR SW, or were a GR SW their self.

You will see their offspring in a few years, as It something to look forward to.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio