Who are your 5 top horses going into the Derby?

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Keith
Grade III Winner

Who are your 5 top horses going into the Derby?

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Who are your top five horses going into the Derby?
The horses I like going into the Derby are
1. Bandini
2. Afleet Alex
3. High Limit
4. Don't Get Mad
5. Rockport Harbor

Keith

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:02 pm

1. Sweet Catomine
2. Rockport Harbor
3. Shamardal
4. High Fly
5. Greater Good

-llbean

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:30 pm

hi Keith...hello llbean

I'm kinda surprised you both excluded...Wilko.

Respectfully

Keith
Grade III Winner

Wilko is a nice horse.

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:45 pm

Wilko is a great horse but has yet to run this year. I bet on him in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile but he needs to show something at three. He did get beat by a great horse in the Hollywood Futurity in Declan's Moon. He beat a great horse in Afleet Alex in the Juvenile. Why have they not run him? The same can be said for Rockport Harbor. Are the trainers trying to hold them together? Servis did a remarkable job with Smarty Jones and that is why I like Rockport Harbor. Did Wilko peak too early? One of the keys to winning the Derby is peaking at the right time. I have to see Wilko run this year before a consider him a top contender.

Keith

citation011
Weanling

Derby contenders

Postby citation011 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:29 pm

1. Afleet Alex
2. Sun King
3. High Fly
4. High Limit
5. Rockport Harbor

I'm also very curious about Lost in the Fog and Noble Causeway.

Racerx
Suckling

Postby Racerx » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:42 pm

1. Aleet Alex
2. High Fly
3. Sun King
4. Scipion
5. Bandini

There is a reason why Afleet Alex ran a 106 beyer in the mountain valley, the highest by a 3 year old so far this year, he annihilated some very good sprinters and he is contrary to opinion a distance horse. He galloped out a mile after that race faster than Rockport Harbor worked a mile. He is one of the only top contenders that will have 3 races as a 3 year old under him. That isn't just a fluke jinx btw it is very important for young horses to have race experience. Some may question my third and fourth picks but Sun King has really filled out and looks more impressive, aesthetically, than his sire, Charismatic. And Scipion though he didn't run well in the Lousiana Derby has the breeding and look of a champion thoroughbred. Wilko and Sweet Catomine are not included due to the several factors. Wilko is a nice horse yes, but you don't run a 2 year old 12+ times without it taking a serious toll on him physically and i believe it will begin to show shortly. Sweet Catomine is without a doubt the nicest filly out there right now but she is a filly, I am interested to see how and when she runs with the boys, it's a challenge most fillys fail to conquer. If Afleet Alex stays healthy and gets a somewhat decent trip in the derby, bad trips being the only reason he has 2 seconds and is not undefeated hence the rider change, he will be very very tough to beat.

citation011
Weanling

Derby Contenders

Postby citation011 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:29 am

Can we have a weekly poll of top 5 derby contenders?? I'm ready to vote again. We can look silly multiple times!

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:55 am

1) Pavo (fifth dam is Plucky Maid <--- ergo, he's family :wink: ... 4x4 Northern Dancer ... 5x5 Turn-to flips off Ballymoss ... Speedy/classy Prospector topline over a sound Dancer bottomline ... branch of Prospector that is known for loving an off track, which could be very important the way the weather has been lately.)

2) Greater Good
3) Sun King
4) Fusaichi Rock Star

5) Rockport Harbor (always had a weakness for Prospector line sires over Copelan mares ... He's on the list for that reason alone. Generally, I like that cross only for 2yos)

Little fact ... there has NEVER been a Derby winner with Raise A Native ANYWHERE in the dam's pedigree. Oddly enough, Mr. Prospector accounts for more tail male top 3 finishers than any other sire line (more than double the next sireline) over the last 15 years

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:18 pm

Sam,
I am glad someone else likes Pavo in here. I liked him before the Gotham, and still do after that "interesting" (to say the least) race yesterday. I do think he could've won, although he may have been DQ'd. Nice horse. Not too sure about the connections though :?

Keith
Grade III Winner

After this week I like

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:00 pm

After this week's races I like
1. Consolidator
2. Rockport Harbor
3. Bandini
4. High Limit
5. Going Wild
I still like Afleet Alex and can't judge him off one bad race. Don't get Mad is consistent but not dominating.

Keith

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:08 pm

After watching/reading the charts from this weekends races im going with:
1)Going Wild
2)Survivalist
3)Sun King
4)Noble Causeway
5)Consolidator
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:32 pm

1 = greater good 2= high limit 3= bandini 4= sun king 5= rockport
onalimb

Racerx
Suckling

Postby Racerx » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:56 pm

1. Afleet Alex <----I'm sticking with him he ran a great race for a horse that couldn't breath.
2. Consolidator <--- very impressive breaking the track record sometimes ok 2 year olds turn into amazing 3 year olds
3. Pavo <--- Amazing run for having a stirrupless jockey bouncing up and down on his back
4. Sun King <--- yet to see him against real competition
5. Giacomo <--- Idk y i like him

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:21 pm

Racerx wrote:2. Consolidator <--- very impressive breaking the track record

Not really.

That track was playing exceptionally fast yesterday (it had been sealed asphalt tight for the last two days). Hell, they had CA-bred NW2L running just ticks off track record time yesterday. That race just wasn't as impressive as it first looked. NO ONE was closing and most of the field was actually stopping.

Plus, we're talking about a Lukas charge. I've got good money says we never see anything like that from that horse again.

pistol
Weanling

Postby pistol » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:35 pm

My top are

1) Andromeda's Hero, giving him top billing this week since he is running. He's been my number one watch horse all year. He has not been thrown to the big boys yet, so he has not really been tested yet. Will get a minor test this weekend. Also following some footsteps from Zito's horses last year. I like his pedigree. Bet some on the field in Future pool mainly because he was not listed.

2) Bandini, would be on top, but he has already had one test and came away with a B, needs an A in his next to move to the top. Also like this one pedigree. These two are FP's, and no, I did not like any other of the FP's out the like FRS, FS, or RR.

3) Afleet Alex, still giving him a chance. Don't like his pedigree as well as the top tow, but he has shown promise on the track, except his last.

4) High Limit, still needs to be tested to move up, has gotten easy leads for his wins.

5) Don't really have one, would say Monarch Lane, but I have not seen him anywhere since he got beat by Sun King and Survivalist in an allowance, which after this week, I'd say was not a bad thing. Anyone know his status?