No TC races for Lost in the Fog

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

No TC races for Lost in the Fog

Postby Tairaterces » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:58 am

"and Secretariat let no one down on the unforgettable afternoon of June 9, 1973, when he ran a hole in the wind"
~Bob Ehalt~

Avatar: Istabraq (Sadler's Wells x Betty's Secret by Secretariat) Champion Hurdler

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:24 pm

Good for them. That's a special horse. I think he's going to be one of the toughest sprinters we've seen in a long time.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:31 pm

Good for them. I think they made the right decision for that horse. If you watched him gallop out in the Swale, he really looked as though the TC distances were going to be more than he could do.

Kudos to the owner and trainer for not succumbing to Derby fever.

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:46 am

Amen to all comments above. They are doing the right thing for the horse and will be rewarded for it with a healthy horse who should have an exciting and profitable career. Rumor is that their big goal is the Met Mile.

I think that the key selling point to other owners that may find themselves in a similar postion is the races they can win and money they can make when they look longterm. Remember how Woody Stephens dodged the Triple Crown with Smarten and others while winning lesser Derbies and a pile of money?!!
Roving Boy

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:08 pm

I would hope I have as much sense if such an option should arise. Hypothetically I think I would avoid the Derby unless it just all fell into place, but hopefully would not lunge for it as THE necessary race to run in.
Rocking H

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:37 am

Give those folks a round of applause. That has to be the toughest decision to make in racing. Hopefully the racing gods reward their prudence with several stakes wins down the road.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:02 am

If it was my horse i would do the same thing-Skip the Derby and keep him sprinting for now-i would turn him out for a couple of months and keep him fresh as i could. 2 trips back and forth to Florida is going to eventually catch up with the horse so i hope they give him a breather.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:46 am

Anyone else think this might just be this year's sprint champion if they play theic cards right?
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis